There is no "buddy money"

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of the weirdest illusions that hawthorn supporters have at the moment is that there is a lump sum of money available for them to recruit a big free agent at the end of 2015, with Dangerfield and Cotchin being the names thrown around.

Simply put there is no money.

Hawthorn are at a high % of their salary cap spending. Money just doesn't appear in the cap. There was an illusion that Hawthorn had freed up 800K a year through players taking pay cuts for Buddy to stay. When that didnt occur that money went to the players who are still there such as Mitchell, Roughead, Bruest. Lewis just signed for 3 years and Mcevoy was brought in on decent money.

There is no way Hawthorn will be landing a "big fish" recruit at the end of 2015 unless Hodge, Burgoyne and Mitchell all retire

THERE'S NO CASH HERE, ALRIGHT?

HERE, NO CASH!

vince+colosimo+neville+bartos+chopper.jpg

Robbo?

One of the weirdest illusions that hawthorn supporters have at the moment is that there is a lump sum of money available for them to recruit a big free agent at the end of 2015, with Dangerfield and Cotchin being the names thrown around.

Hawthorn are at a high % of their salary cap spending. Money just doesn't appear in the cap. There was an illusion that Hawthorn had freed up 800K a year through players taking pay cuts for Buddy to stay. When that didnt occur that money went to the players who are still there such as Mitchell, Roughead, Bruest. Lewis just signed for 3 years and Mcevoy was brought in on decent money.

There is no way Hawthorn will be landing a "big fish" recruit at the end of 2015 unless Hodge, Burgoyne and Mitchell all retire

Your only upset because we are getting Fyfe. ;)

The usage of this years salary cap could have quite easily come through front loading current contracts.
Say Mitchell was owed 600k a year hypothectically.
With the gap created by buddy leaving hawthorn may have said ok Sam you can have 800k this year.
Applying that to several players could easily mean the money is there for the upcoming off season.

If the Hawks could offer Buddy a 5 year 800k+ contract, they had the money in the salary cap.

Once he signed with Sydney they would have changed other contracts to use the 800k, effectively freeing up 1.6 million next year.

Obviously players like Lewis, Gunston, McEvoy would have taken some of this money but I believe their is still a significant amount of cap space free. Also I would imagine that Burgoyne, Mitchell and Hodge will be on reduced contracts in the next few years.

Good to know.

I'm assuming that the Hawks planned on having Buddy for maybe another 5 years or so, so would have 'freed up' $800k a year over that period.

I'm also assuming that guys like Breust, Lewis etc. who were supposedly willing to take pay cuts were offered back-ended contracts on the proviso that they'd earn less now and more in 2-3 years time when the salary cap increases and guys like Burgoyne, Mitchell etc. finish up.

If my assumptions are correct then if the need for back-ended contracts disappeared with Franklin leaving then to pay for back-ended contracts in 2-3 years time also disappeared, ergo if there is no 'Buddy money' now then there will be soon.

If the Hawks could offer Buddy a 5 year 800k+ contract, they had the money in the salary cap.

Once he signed with Sydney they would have changed other contracts to use the 800k, effectively freeing up 1.6 million next year.

Obviously players like Lewis, Gunston, McEvoy would have taken some of this money but I believe their is still a significant amount of cap space free. Also I would imagine that Burgoyne, Mitchell and Hodge will be on reduced contracts in the next few years.
It might clear up next year or the year after with back or forward loaded contracts. Fact is that each club has to utilise 95% of their salary cap each year. In doing so it's quite possible that they've splurged big to land someone like McEvoy, paying upwards of 50% of his contract or more, as well as Lewis to create space this year or next.

If the Hawks are going to try to recruit Fyfe then they're going to have offer something substantial, equivalent to Ablett money. Frawley is available and it's conceivable that they'll go for him and ditch Lake. Should they do it, they need to find 800k+.

The Swans managed it with Tippet, Reid and Franklin. We front loaded Reid & Tippet's contracts and having a lot of players move on, delisted or retire in 2 years freed up a lot of space for us to work with. There's nothing in the AFL rules that says a player with a $1.5m over 4 year contract has to receive $375k/year. They could receive 700k in the first year and 800k over the last 3, or vice-versa. We're paying Franklin less than Tippet this year, but his last 3-4 years he's earning somewhere around 5 million.

I really wish there was just some simply tables out there like this - http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm - with AFL salary information, available to the public. Would instantly create much greater transparency and clarity for the whole free agency process. Way too much hearsay and uncertainty in it for my liking at the moment.

Eliminate the rookie list, simply have 44 players on each playing list, and creating a maximum (10% of the salary cap, or $1.0071 million in 2015) and minimum (1% of the salary cap, or $100,710 in 2015) annual salary for players would make things very interesting and possibly far more even too.

Last edited:
Who have they front loaded then? Lewis?
We've had a few players either re-sign or sign contract extensions this year. I'd say the fair majority of them would have been front loaded to make up for the Buddy money this year and next.

The contracts can easily be renegotiated between the parties even if they had two years running on their current contract. They could renegotiate so that they are on the same terms except the contract gets front loaded. This wouldn't be reported in the media either as it is not anything to do with re-signing or an extension

Incorrect the extra $800 large, and the resultant $1.6 for next year would surely have been used in Spangher's recent 2-year contract extension!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the Hawks were offering buddy more per year than we were (it was one of the biggest reasons for the longer contract) they have the money, just like they had the money for lake.

Speculation. Speculation everywhere.

One thing that has always amused me on this forum is the amount of people who speak as if they definitively know how much money each club has available or is currently spending. Sure, we can draw reasonable assumptions due to big name players going/coming, however there is a tendency on here for posters to think they are their respective club's accountants by making wild claims that player x is definitely on a heavily front loaded/back loaded contract so this me amount $x is available etc.

Let's get real, unless a club has stated such expenses (for example, Swann stating we have x amount in the salary cap to spend), or has stated it has made an offer/in talks with a player in a certainly value bracket, we can never accurately make claims as to who is on front or back loaded contracts.

The Swans managed it with Tippet, Reid and Franklin. We front loaded Reid & Tippet's contracts and having a lot of players move on, delisted or retire in 2 years freed up a lot of space for us to work with. There's nothing in the AFL rules that says a player with a $1.5m over 4 year contract has to receive $375k/year. They could receive 700k in the first year and 800k over the last 3, or vice-versa. We're paying Franklin less than Tippet this year, but his last 3-4 years he's earning somewhere around 5 million.

Right, managed. :rolleyes:

Right, managed. :rolleyes:
??? They front loaded his contract because there was space in the cap to do so. We moved on a few players after the 2012 GF win and obviously some contract payments changed.
I wouldn't be surprised to see that Sydney is utilising around 98% to 99% of the salary cap.

I would trust our CEO, Numerous journalists and the more hawthorn posters with knowledge about our salary cap situation next year+years beyond insted of "U guys have big name players they must be on big money!"

We have money because we didn't chase the Brendan Goddards/Dale Thomas' or matching buddy of Free agency because there is a plan in place to not destroy and hamstring our depth for the next 3-4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back