NRL 2014 Melbourne Storm discussion thread

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Never write off a champion, however I would move him to 5/8th and get a new fulback.
I was amazed that QLD stuck with him at FB this year and just think he has never quite recovered from the knee injury. Just hasnt looked the same the last few weeks. And the kick returns from Waqa and him yesterday were pretty terrible.

5/8 would be an option though.

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
if anyone thinks umpiring is bad in AFL, watch a game of NRL.

Reynolds knocks the ball out of Bromwiches hands and we get called for a knock on. baffling. stupefying.

Cam was obviously playing injured. shouldn't have played.

Reynolds knocks the ball out of Bromwiches hands and we get called for a knock on. baffling. stupefying.

Cam injured is still better than any of our other options.

The fact that the refs called six again twice and then still went back was baffling enough.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cam injured is still better than any of our other options.

The fact that the refs called six again twice and then still went back was baffling enough.
75% of Cam is sadly better than any other options but unfortunately he wasnt his usual self.

That is a problem with the video review, if we hadn't have scored and had just taken a tackle it would even have been questioned.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On field refs have a split second to make a decision and will make mistakes. When you have as many replays as you need and still get it wrong that is not good enough. It's not just the Storm, other teams have been robbed by video refs and it needs to be fixed.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Yep, the refs really made the difference yesterday.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, the refs really made the difference yesterday.
Im actually not sure about that. The dogs came out hard early (maybe there could have been issues with offside that I couldnt see from my seats- they were coming off the line hard) and the storm didn't. The storm made a few early errors and the dogs absolutely capitalised. Sure there were a few controversial decisions later but I'd say the game was over pretty early

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon

That was clearly the right call.

The issue is whether it should have gone back that far, but he knocked it forward into Reynolds.

Im actually not sure about that. The dogs came out hard early (maybe there could have been issues with offside that I couldnt see from my seats- they were coming off the line hard) and the storm didn't. The storm made a few early errors and the dogs absolutely capitalised. Sure there were a few controversial decisions later but I'd say the game was over pretty early
He was being sarcastic.

It went forwards before Reynolds made contact. Correct call was made.

I think Reynolds knock it first but regardless I don't believe it should had gone that far back.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Reynolds knock it first but regardless I don't believe it should had gone that far back.

To me it looked pretty clear that it went forwards before the Reynolds contact. As it did to everyone I was watching it with.

Agree it shouldn't have gone back that far though. That's the bigger problem. Once the on field ref called it back there, the video ref was required to look at it.

To me it looked pretty clear that it went forwards before the Reynolds contact. As it did to everyone I was watching it with.

Agree it shouldn't have gone back that far though. That's the bigger problem. Once the on field ref called it back there, the video ref was required to look at it.

It's a farce that they choose to go that far back. If the Storm were tackled and played the ball and then scored it wouldn't even have been looked at.

Refs have gone massively backwards this season. Makes the game tough to watch for any supporter.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's your logic?

I guess no footballer has ever dropped a ball without someone else knocking it into them then.

Not saying that at all. If even the biased Sydney commentators say it was a try thats saying something because we know how much they hate Melbourne Storm.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Not saying that at all. If even the biased Sydney commentators say it was a try thats saying something because we know how much they hate Melbourne Storm.

Not sure what game you were watching.

They couldn't have cheered harder for the Storm if they were sitting in the cheer squad. Also, the commentators opinions are never a true indication of whats right.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a shame the big 3 are locked into long-term contracts because now would be a great time for some salary cap spending and they don't appear to have the same potency they used to (granted Smith is playing injured).

But the genius of Bellamy can't be understated so I'm keen to see what he has planned for '15.

It's a shame the big 3 are locked into long-term contracts because now would be a great time for some salary cap spending and they don't appear to have the same potency they used to (granted Smith is playing injured).

But the genius of Bellamy can't be understated so I'm keen to see what he has planned for '15.
Cronk and Smith had good years. Slater was considerably down.

Back