All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say a lot of people are trying to justify there ridiculous comments about him at the start of the season, he is an absolute star and this will be the first of multiple all australian awards.

Yep, I don't disagree with any of what you've said there.

Although I don't like the Bombers all that much, I enjoy watching this kid a lot. He is already a genuine gun (at what - 21? 22?), and will probably get even better. I know he just played it down a bit on Fox Footy, but there's no doubt that Essendon players who have performed well individually over the last two years have done so at probably the hardest possible time - and it augurs well for them doing even better when the ASADA stuff is over.

Sydney supporters are embarrassing.

Pendles averaged more kicks, handballs, disposals, I50s, goal assists, contested possessions, effective disposals, clearances, R50s and less clangers than Parker. All this, despite playing in a team that missed the finals and with very little midfield support other than Beams and Sidebottom. Pendles over Parker easily. Look elsewhere for someone to blame.

Pendles averaged more kicks, handballs, disposals, I50s, goal assists, contested possessions, effective disposals, clearances, R50s and less clangers than Parker. All this, despite playing in a team that missed the finals and with very little midfield support other than Beams and Sidebottom. Pendles over Parker easily. Look elsewhere for someone to blame.

Ablett, only played 14 games or whatever. Yeah! Parker over Ablett, man!

Yep, I don't disagree with any of what you've said there.

Although I don't like the Bombers all that much, I enjoy watching this kid a lot. He is already a genuine gun (at what - 21? 22?), and will probably get even better. I know he just played it down a bit on Fox Footy, but there's no doubt that Essendon players who have performed well individually over the last two years have done so at probably the hardest possible time - and it augurs well for them doing even better when the ASADA stuff is over.

Yeah he is 22, Rising star in his first year, top 3 B&F in the next two seasons and All Australian and will win the B&F in his fourth, pretty handy start to a career.

We'll he has lead his team to 5 Finals losses.
How exactly does that have anything to do with AA or more importantly AA captaincy? Hmm?

AA awards have absolutely nothing to do with finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, I think Parker definitely deserved to make the team but not ahead of Pendlebury.

In what way?

Riewoldt played true CHF. Took the most marks in the comp in a s**t team. Had the most score involvements in the comp. Always had the number one defender. Was more often than not double teamed. Took contested marks. Riewoldt is one of the greatest contested marks the game has seen, and this year was vintage contested marking year for him. For all of Gunston's traits, contested marking is not one. Also, Gunston is a forward pocket.

Lol seriously clutching at straws. It was a line ball 50-50 call and it didn't go your way, Get over it and move on.
More people had Jacobs in over Sandi by a mile nationwide but of course it didn't eventuate like that.

I would have understood if Brodie Smith didn't make it more than Jacobs because his second half of the season was average.

Can't agree there
Hawkins dominated the opponents he should have, and got dominated against the ones more evenly matched
Dare I say, he was a bully

Don't let his poor qualifying final cloud your judgement.

In the H&A season he kicked 16 goals v Hawks, Swans and Freo (5 games total).

If anything he plays better against the stronger teams (as 2 goals v GWS, 0 v Carlton show).

There's one extreme of saying he shouldn't be in, and there's the other extreme of him being one of the first picked.

Neither is true. He absolutely deserves AA selection, but wouldn't have been one of the first picked.

Why on Earth not? He was ranked 2nd or 3rd in Brownlow betting before his injury two rounds before the end of the season. Still sits comfortably inside the first 5 or so in betting now. You can mount an argument that defenders don't get a look in at the Brownlow, sure - but I still would have thought, by definition, the handful of leading Brownlow contenders for the year are definitely going to be among the first ones picked.

Riewoldt also a joke, 5 good games at the start of the year, went on holidays when the saints played decent teams and had a couple of good games at the end

Lol.

Averaged 20.2 disposals and 11 marks, kicking 17 goals in that time.

He then literally had 2 poor games (v Hawks and Brisbane).

Then had another strong month (v all bottom 10 sides bar Port), kicked 13 goals in 4 games (not bad considering averaging 3.25 goals a game for the year would have won the Coleman), averaged 14 disposals and 7 marks (Hawkins who needs to come straight in for Riewoldt in your opinion averaged 12.4 disposals and 7 marks for the year)

Then another couple of quiet games (still not 'going on holidays' in the middle of the year - did play some decent teams though, but so far his 5 bad games came in 5 losses by an average of 10 goals).

He then finished the year in excellent form, including BOG in a big win v Freo.

Had 6 or 7 quiet games for the year. Hardly a 'joke' selection, considering others also had 6-7 poor games (i.e. Hawkins had a similar amount).

Hawkins and Riewoldt are extremely close this year, probably would have gone Buddy CHF Hawkins FP Roughead FF in my team, but it's hardly a joke selection. Not every thing you disagree with is a joke.

Why on Earth not? He was ranked 2nd or 3rd in Brownlow betting before his injury two rounds before the end of the season. Still sits comfortably inside the first 5 or so in betting now. I would have thought, by definition, the 5 or 6 best players of the year are the first ones picked.
I don't think he was picked before Fyfe, Kennedy, Ablett, Selwood, Brodie Smith, Talia, Gray, Roughead, Buddy, Breust. That's almost half the team.

Did work very hard all over the ground including contesting high balls in the back line in games I saw him play. Think he is very deserving of his spot. Mr everywhere.

13/22 players are from interstate teams yet according to people on Facebook and a few from around here there's a 'Victorian bias'.

Sigh.
Not to mention there are 10 Vic teams compared to 8 non Vic teams so it wouldnt be suprising if there were more Vics. Alas there werent, there is absolutely no Vic bias in this team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back