Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Goddard, I've got this belief (and I hope defenders don't find this demeaning!) but key defence is suited to forwards without smarts. It's a bit like how comedy actors can do drama but drama actors can't always do comedy, key forwards can do key back but key backs can't always do key forward. There's less need for a key back to be smart as they don't need to create their own opportunities (which requires smarts and a good read of the game to do well.) Instead they can play off their direct opponent, letting them do all the smart stuff and just following and negating while playing off them when necessary. He's got speed and acceleration to close down leads, the agility to dominate at ground level, the work rate to follow hard and the body strength to compete one on one. Defensively I think he's excellent. Offensively he might be a little lacking with his ability to intercept and take big grabs not great and he doesn't really rebound much. But let's be fair, Talia isn't great offensively either. Some of the best key defenders in the league have an offensive game but many don't. It's hardly a pre-requisite. And Goddard's defensive game is really sound, more so than anyone in the draft IMO. I could conceivably see him getting close to a Frawley/Richards/MacKenzie kind of level down back so I don't have those worries. As a forward he shouldn't even be in the conversation though.

I don't get why Oscar McDonald isn't higher rated among the KPD's by the so called draft experts. I've seen a couple of his games for the Rebels and he has been most impressive, I'd say along with a "bottom" ager in Darcy Tucker [this kid will be a gun] he would be my pick to make into a very good AFL defender. I wonder if Goddard's name was Joe Blow would he be quite so popular??? Oscar, unlike Goddard does have an offensive side to his game, a neat kick, good pace for a tall, good over head and at 196cm will fill out into a big unit...a couple of weeks ago he absolutely "pantsed" man mountain forward/ruck Peter Wright who is tipped to go in the top end of the top ten picks?? I just don't get it??

Edited : Goes alright up forward too.

I don't get why Oscar McDonald isn't higher rated among the KPD's by the so called draft experts. I've seen a couple of his games for the Rebels and he has been most impressive, I'd say along with a "bottom" ager in Darcy Tucker [this kid will be a gun] he would be my pick to make into a very good AFL defender. I wonder if Goddard's name was Joe Blow would he be quite so popular??? Oscar, unlike Goddard does have an offensive side to his game, a neat kick, good pace for a tall, good over head and at 196cm will fill out into a big unit...a couple of weeks ago he absolutely "pantsed" man mountain forward/ruck Peter Wright who is tipped to go in the top end of the top ten picks?? I just don't get it??

I was never on the Goddard bandwagon while forward. Thought he was overhyped because of the fanaticism regarding athletes and the name. The lower he goes, the more my comments from 3-4 months ago are vindicated. That said he is a mighty fine defender, irrelevant of name.

While posting about him before though I thought the exact same thing. I agree in almost every regard with the sentiment regarding McDonald. I think perhaps his lack of versatility and not having the two years of exposed form that a Goddard type does (as well as he's just not the same level athlete as Goddard) counts against him, but in general McDonald is very underrated.

Update :

http://www.therebels.com.au/news.html

Oscar McDonald wins TAC Cup Coaches Award, voted on by the coaches of all TAC teams.

Also named at Centre Half Back in the TAC Cup Team Of The Year.

Of interest re this years national draft...the TAC Cup Team Of The Year

TAC Morrish Medal taken out by Alex Carr of Gippsland Power.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/tac-cup-team-year/

TRIO of Western Jets and a pair of Geelong Falcons have been named in the TAC Cup Team of the Year.
The side was unveiled at the counting of Morrish Medal votes on Sunday night.
Western’s Jayden Laverde and Liam Duggan have been named on the wings, while Corey Ellis occupies a half back flank.
Falcon Darcy Parish is in a back pocket, while Rhys Mathieson has been selected on a half forward flank.
Morrish Medal winner Alex Carr (Gippsland Power) was named in the centre.
The side also features projected high AFL draft picks Peter Wright (Calder Cannons- full forward) and Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges- half forward flank).

TAC Cup Team of the Year:
B -
Daniel Howe-Daniel Nielson-Darcy Parrish
(Murray Bushrangers)-(Eastern Ranges)-(Geelong Falcons)
HB -Ed Vickers-Willis-Oscar McDonald-Corey Ellis
(Sandringham Dragons)-(Nth Ballarat Rebels)-(Western Jets)
C -Jayden Laverde-Alex Carr-Liam Duggan
(Western Jets)-(Gippsland Power)-(Western Jets)
HF -Christian Petracca-Darcy Moore-Rhys Mathieson
(Eastern Ranges)-(Oakleigh Chargers)-(Geelong Falcons)
F -Jack Lonie-Peter Wright-Touk Miller
(Dandenong Stingrays)-(Calder Cannons)-(Calder Cannons)
R -Rowan Marshall-Angus Brayshaw-Nathan Drummond
(Nth Ballarat Rebels)-(Sandringham Dragons)-(Murray Bushrangers)
Int -Billy Evans-Kyle Langford-Taylor Grace
(Bendigo Pioneers)-(Northern Knights)-(Sandringham Dragons)
Paul Ahern-Isaac Heeney- Alex Urban
(Calder Cannons)-(NSW / ACT Rams)-(Oakleigh Chargers)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will deffinately be there at 3rd round and he still may be there after that. It's a question of 'if' unfortunately for Daniel. I think rookie draft might be the safest option for clubs but I hope he gets picked in the national. He is quality but his height questions whether he can play at elite levels.

He will deffinately be there at 3rd round and he still may be there after that. It's a question of 'if' unfortunately for Daniel. I think rookie draft might be the safest option for clubs but I hope he gets picked in the national. He is quality but his height questions whether he can play at elite levels.
Isn't he one of the best performing draft prospects in SANFL seniors this year? Doesn't that suggest there's a good chance his height will not stop him succeeding against hardened AFL players?
I'm not saying he'll make it, just that the risk posed by his height is not as great as it would be if he only had results against other kids.

I think you kind of answered your own question there a bit, I think he will get picked up too and there's a real chance he could be one of the steals in years to come but there's a lot of players before him that can perform in a role, Daniel will have to be able to perform but not be able to. I would love him as a rookie at the crows though. If not maybe round 4 and take Oleg Markov as a rookie instead. Hamilton for round 3 for mine, being a nephew of the Jarmens as well.

As for Goddard, I've got this belief (and I hope defenders don't find this demeaning!) but key defence is suited to forwards without smarts. It's a bit like how comedy actors can do drama but drama actors can't always do comedy, key forwards can do key back but key backs can't always do key forward. There's less need for a key back to be smart as they don't need to create their own opportunities (which requires smarts and a good read of the game to do well.) Instead they can play off their direct opponent, letting them do all the smart stuff and just following and negating while playing off them when necessary. He's got speed and acceleration to close down leads, the agility to dominate at ground level, the work rate to follow hard and the body strength to compete one on one. Defensively I think he's excellent. Offensively he might be a little lacking with his ability to intercept and take big grabs not great and he doesn't really rebound much. But let's be fair, Talia isn't great offensively either. Some of the best key defenders in the league have an offensive game but many don't. It's hardly a pre-requisite. And Goddard's defensive game is really sound, more so than anyone in the draft IMO. I could conceivably see him getting close to a Frawley/Richards/MacKenzie kind of level down back so I don't have those worries. As a forward he shouldn't even be in the conversation though.

To me this whole piece sounds exactly like what we need to be targeting. WE cant be banking on Hartigan just yet, although as a pure negating defender I think he does very well. But we really need to bring in a strong, athletic, versatile talent that could have an impact for us from day 1. Obviously KPPs take their time and we can't expect too much, but from what you've described Skippos it sounds as Goddard would have a greater chance at being AFL ready than most others out there.

Skippos and Bicks, where do you see this Oscar McDonald kid going in the draft?

To me this whole piece sounds exactly like what we need to be targeting. WE cant be banking on Hartigan just yet, although as a pure negating defender I think he does very well. But we really need to bring in a strong, athletic, versatile talent that could have an impact for us from day 1. Obviously KPPs take their time and we can't expect too much, but from what you've described Skippos it sounds as Goddard would have a greater chance at being AFL ready than most others out there.

Skippos and Bicks, where do you see this Oscar McDonald kid going in the draft?

Yeah I really like Goddard down back. I'd probably have him, from a purely defensive point of view, as the safest bet and highest level talent.

I'd probably rate it from a low risk defensively speaking POV

1. Goddard
2. McDonald
3. Durdin
4. Lever/Marchbank/Ramsay

As overall packages I'd be going

1. Lever
2. Durdin
3. Goddard
4. McDonald
5. Marchbank
6. Ramsay

though.

I think Oscar McDonald will bolt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top 25-30.

Also Skippos, forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but do Sydney have first option at Heeney?

All this talk about Ahern but no mention of Issac? The kid just has spades of talent, is so composed, reads the game very well, decision making is great and can seriously kick off both feet. Only thing for me is that he is probably lacking a little top end speed which is what the Crows should really be targetting. But then again, do you take the smarter footballer with very good kicking skills, or do you take the player with higher top end speed...?:confused:

Also Skippos, forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but do Sydney have first option at Heeney?

All this talk about Ahern but no mention of Issac? The kid just has spades of talent, is so composed, reads the game very well, decision making is great and can seriously kick off both feet. Only thing for me is that he is probably lacking a little top end speed which is what the Crows should really be targetting. But then again, do you take the smarter footballer with very good kicking skills, or do you take the player with higher top end speed...?:confused:

If as Skippos suggests we take Goddard if he's there as our 1st selection then McDonald would be unlikely to still be an option for the AFC given that scenario, I just feel personally we'll go for the best all round player not necessarily a KPD with our 1st pick. It would be highly unlikely Goddard would still be there at our 2nd pick and that's where I reckon Oscar McDonald may come into play if still available.

Remember this, the 3 supposed "gun" key forwards of the draft McCartin, Wright and Moore have all been well and truly "blanketed" by Oscar in their clashes during the year, and I think Oscar could conceivably play some AFL in 2015, already bigger and stronger than Siggins IMO.

Yeah, they do. And they'll match. So we're no chance at him. He's a gun though, if we had the chance at him with 9 we take it and run.

Yeah, they do. And they'll match. So we're no chance at him. He's a gun though, if we had the chance at him with 9 we take it and run.

Damn, exactly what I didnt want to hear :( Thanks for that though.

Funny how our two AA players are the last two first round picks we've had (not counting Crouch).

Not sure I would be trading pick 9 in a hurry.

Funny how our two AA players are the last two first round picks we've had (not counting Crouch).

Not sure I would be trading pick 9 in a hurry.

At this stage with players we have been linked to, Cameron would be my only exception.

Hypotheticals like Phil Davis or some deal to bring underperforming SA player X (ie Toumpas) should not be involving our pick 9 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back