Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

johncat & Nankervis brothers, there are quite a few PJ Harvey tracks you could pick and you would still slap your forehead later and think "oh yeah, that one."

She is a bit of a musical force. I was always partial to "50ft Queenie" and "Sheela-Na-Gig".

100% agreed, Sheela-Na-Gig is just a classic. 'Heard it before', as the song says, but I'll post as it's so damn worthy!

catgal23 - that's probably my fave Happy Mondays tune as well. But they have a few good ones to pick from.

The girl doing her best cat impression at the 2:51 mark is just an added bonus.
I was looking everywhere for Blue Monday by Happy Mondays. Was sure they did the original :$:drunk:. (cat impression girl is hilarious!!)

And Iggy Pop, with the Passenger:

Have been waiting to post some Iggy since we started with the bands by alphabet, love The Passenger :thumbsu:. (Iggy is just so good, we should post him under I, P and S!!!)

johncat I was at Iggy's gig at the Palace in StKilda too-was amazing :thumbsu:.

I'll go with a couple of Iggy and the Stooges tracks, so technically correct for "I";

Always a fave......

Had to search far and wide for a "clean" version of this, but here's Iggy with his awesome live performce of another fave.....

So you don't recommend that I listen to them, then? :)

depends on your tolerance levels TC - I have a 3 yo, so mine are pretty honed ;-)

I'll bust the Shaggs out when we get to 'S' - but I spent maybe a week listening to them nonstop and reading everything I could find about them - I think a movie about their lives is in the works, too ..

Oh CG, what you doin' to my poor old heart. :hearts::D.

We've enjoyed a fair few of the same gigs I'd imagine. Am gonna play Open Up And Bleed at work today cause nothin' beats a bit of live Iggy. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is! One of my favourite Eno songs.

I don't know a whole heap of Eno, but I do love Another Green World, and agree; the Big Ship is amazing, such a stirring track.

Another (probably very obvious) highlight for me from the few Eno albums I have is the incredible guitar solo by Robert Fripp on 'Baby's On Fire' (from 'Here Come the Warm Jets). I'm not a huge fan of show-y guitar solos for there own sake, but that is one incredibly scary virtuoso display.

Ha, Joe Dolce, what an absolute classic, I remember that song being #1 on Countdown for an eternity ..

But, ah, you've never had to do much filing, have you TC?
cuz, just sayin', your mate Joe would come under 'D' for Dolce, in the workplace :D:p:p

regretting welcoming to the thread yet? ;)

These guys are pretty good, I quite like some of Paul Weller's solo stuff too, and he had some ok songs with Style Council also ..
geez, I had to endure an ad for a new Nickelback album while waiting for the Jam video to load, that's more than anybody should be expected to suffer!

Ha, Joe Dolce, what an absolute classic, I remember that song being #1 on Countdown for an eternity ..

But, ah, you've never had to do much filing, have you TC?
cuz, just sayin', your mate Joe would come under 'D' for Dolce, in the workplace :D:p:p

regretting welcoming to the thread yet? ;)

These guys are pretty good, I quite like some of Paul Weller's solo stuff too, and he had some ok songs with Style Council also ..
geez, I had to endure an ad for a new Nickelback album while waiting for the Jam video to load, that's more than anybody should be expected to suffer!

lol- I do actually know my alphabet. Just missed putting him under D, so thought I'd sneak him in here. Rules seem to be pretty flexible.

Nah, never regret welcoming you, CC - I might regret a few things but not that. :D Are Nickelback still around?

The Jam, hey? I like a few of theirs- haven't heard a lot, though- do you recommend any others? I have a few songs by Style Council- I don't follow music groups like a groupie so had no idea it was the same bloke :oops:

lol- I do actually know my alphabet. Just missed putting him under D, so thought I'd sneak him in here. Rules seem to be pretty flexible.

Nah, never regret welcoming you, CC - I might regret a few things but not that. :D Are Nickelback still around?

The Jam, hey? I like a few of theirs- haven't heard a lot, though- do you recommend any others? I have a few songs by Style Council- I don't follow music groups like a groupie so had no idea it was the same bloke :oops:

just stirring TC, I know you have a sense of humour so can take it :p - I see darren forssman couldn't resist either :D

I only have a 'best of' the Jam, and it's really great, some excellent songs even if you weren't overly familiar with them previously .. There's a good 8-10 songs on that best of that I will happily listen to any time (in fact might put the headphones on in a minute while I get some very boring paperwork out of the way).

yeah, Paul Weller, the 'Modfather' as I've heard him referred to, has been pretty active throughout his career with the Jam, Style Council (best known song is probably 'Shout to the Top', which I really like) and then a pretty successful solo career.

just stirring TC, I know you have a sense of humour so can take it :p - I see darren forssman couldn't resist either :D

I only have a 'best of' the Jam, and it's really great, some excellent songs even if you weren't overly familiar with them previously .. There's a good 8-10 songs on that best of that I will happily listen to any time (in fact might put the headphones on in a minute while I get some very boring paperwork out of the way).

yeah, Paul Weller, the 'Modfather' as I've heard him referred to, has been pretty active throughout his career with the Jam, Style Council (best known song is probably 'Shout to the Top', which I really like) and then a pretty successful solo career.
:cry:
So I should put my tissues away, then? ;)
You can't be too careful- there are a lot of Thread-Hitlers around here, also Post-Hitlers - you thought the Grammar and Spelling Nazis were bad :D :p

I had a look at my iTunes library- I have 2x Jam and 3x Style Council- both from 80s compilation albums.
Jam (English Rose, Bitterest Pill), SS (Long Hot Summer, You're the Best Thing and Have You Ever Had It Blue)- my favourite of all those would be Best Thing and Long Hot Summer. It's weird- I was listening to Shout it to the Top a while ago and thought I had it but can't seem to find it!?? Will have to add it if I can't find it- maybe it's on a CD that I haven't put onto iTunes yet.

Will look at The Jam later on, also will check out Weller.

:cry:
So I should put my tissues away, then? ;)
You can't be too careful- there are a lot of Thread-Hitlers around here, also Post-Hitlers - you thought the Grammar and Spelling Nazis were bad :D :p

I had a look at my iTunes library- I have 2x Jam and 3x Style Council- both from 80s compilation albums.
Jam (English Rose, Bitterest Pill), SS (Long Hot Summer, You're the Best Thing and Have You Ever Had It Blue)- my favourite of all those would be Best Thing and Long Hot Summer. It's weird- I was listening to Shout it to the Top a while ago and thought I had it but can't seem to find it!?? Will have to add it if I can't find it- maybe it's on a CD that I haven't put onto iTunes yet.

Will look at The Jam later on, also will check out Weller.

ah, dont let the various Hitlers get you down, you're a big asset to this board imo :)

agree with your two faves from the songs you listed, they're both smooth and soulful (which is not always neccessarily my thing, but is in this case!).
ya, Shout to the Top is a must!

no proper clip for these two, but amaaaaazing songs nonetheless - Legendary guitarist Ry Cooder based an entire soundtrack on the first song (for the film Paris, Texas) :

these are all solid 'J' songs too :

I don't know a whole heap of Eno, but I do love Another Green World, and agree; the Big Ship is amazing, such a stirring track.

Another (probably very obvious) highlight for me from the few Eno albums I have is the incredible guitar solo by Robert Fripp on 'Baby's On Fire' (from 'Here Come the Warm Jets). I'm not a huge fan of show-y guitar solos for there own sake, but that is one incredibly scary virtuoso display.

I'm not a huge fan of guitar solos either, but love it on Baby's On Fire. I find there's a fine line between impressive solos and venturing into guitar wank territory, BOF gets it right.

ah, dont let the various Hitlers get you down, you're a big asset to this board imo :)

agree with your two faves from the songs you listed, they're both smooth and soulful (which is not always neccessarily my thing, but is in this case!).
ya, Shout to the Top is a must!

no proper clip for these two, but amaaaaazing songs nonetheless - Legendary guitarist Ry Cooder based an entire soundtrack on the first song (for the film Paris, Texas) :

these are all solid 'J' songs too :

Noice! Very noice!! The only one there that I didn't really like was Grace Jones.

Didn't think you'd like the gospel stuff- but then I think I have every genre covered in the 5000 songs I have on iTunes ;) Sometimes it's just one or two that I've liked and downloaded.

Just remembered another J-
Jet:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back