What the supporters want - A message to Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

Reconsider the whole '19th man' thing. Honestly, before I started supporting the Crows (only recently) I always saw it as weakness.... Almost like having 18 players on the field wasn't enough and they needed 19. Now that I've come on board I really think the club marketing is less than average. Asking supporters to 'make some noise' seems a little desperate - again like the players need it to succeed. The Crow noise? Seriously....

1st - Welcome to the club, Really happy somebody from a fresh point of view out side the AFL and esp the Crows is now running the joint!

2nd - If you need to make a hard decision "DO NOT" worry about the supporters! we will back you in and are happy to finally have somebody willing to take the hard road

3rd - Stand up to those pricks in AFL house, we have been their whipping boys for too long

4th - Live Music is a winner but be careful who you choose - Aussie rock is the safe road but make sure they get the sound balanced right before the gig starts. Don't expect Chisel or Living End but if you can wing it that would be awesome!

I'd like to see a tweet within the next couple of hours congratulating our 2014 All-Australians Talia & Smith.

Yep me too... plus another tweet blasting the selection panel for again overlooking Jacobs in favour of a bloke who can't really do much apart from be 6 inches taller than anybody else.

Time for our club to start standing up for ourselves and getting vocal when we need to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the cosmetic side of things: New: Jumper (home and away) / logo / club song - is anyone honestly attached to these? It's all pretty average to kinda bad overall.

Scrap the "19th man" or any other contrived crowd involvement (yuck). Let it form organically.

Andrew (and Sando) please do the following:

1. Start treating members and supporters as adults.
- get rid of the Baltimore Raven/Crow cartoon logo. Most people I know will not buy Crows merchandise until it is banished.
- stop the release to the media of 'good news' straight after a disappointing loss
- no more spin at press conferences justifying why an experienced player has been dropped (eg. Reilly and Pods 'sore'). Make the tough
calls and back yourself and the club in
- stop telling us how and when to cheer (eg. the ridiculous 19th Man 'Please Stand Up' chants, 'MAKE SOME NOISE!!' after a goal etc)

2. Stop the jobs for the boys
- bring fresh eyes into the club outside of ex-Crows and Geelong players
- performance based employment. If you have been in your role for a fair period of time (ie, ~5 years) and your team is not
performing (ie, our current midfield and forward coaches), then its time to move them on
- give members voting rights to reshape the board (promotes accountability and results culture)

3. Aggressively promote our club
- no more bending over and taking whatever the AFL request of us (eg. changing our guernsey when the other team should,
pushing back harder on travelling to Perth in R22 most years etc)
- understand that we are in a NATIONAL competition now, and that we need to promote our brand to sponsors, media, members who
live interstate (especially Melbourne). Port have killed us in this during 2013/14.

Surprised about calls to change the home jumper, especially since most wanting away jumper styles wanting it traditional and representative of the home one.

IF though the home jumper were changed, there is only 1 option IMO: all navy back.

The indigenous guernsey was great with the all blue back, seemed to be stronger. then the hoops can just stop at the side. Would like to see someone with some skills do a mock up.

Changing the home guernsey would be such a bold, risky move. IMO this is the only way it could be accepted (essentially keeps the same design with a minor mod to potentially improve it). Would need to see it though to see how it works

No way in hell do I want to see our home guernsey changed. We are the hoops of red, blue and gold.

Sorry, but having a 'strong' looking guernsey isn't going to make you magically play better. The look of our playing kit has nothing to do with the ability to play better football. If one of our players isn't playing to the best of their ability because they don't like what they are wearing, then they shouldn't be playing in the AFL.

Fix the football department/playing issues first.

No way in hell do I want to see our home guernsey changed. We are the hoops of red, blue and gold.

Sorry, but having a 'strong' looking guernsey isn't going to make you magically play better. The look of our playing kit has nothing to do with the ability to play better football. If one of our players isn't playing to the best of their ability because they don't like what they are wearing, then they shouldn't be playing in the AFL.

Was no way suggesting it affects performance, it's a marketing thing.

Also I agree it shouldn't be changed, was saying to those who have said it should be, that is the only alternative that I could see even being considered and/or implemented without massive backlash

Bring back Crowettes.

1366955-L.jpg

No way should we change our home jumper, it's us, it's our identity. The mob down the road changed theirs because they were struggling with their identity which is ironic considering they reckon they are the ones with history and an identity. We are not so don't change it. EVER!

Last edited:

Look, I don't think that it turns dud players into world beaters but I also think that it's wrong to dismiss it as something that matters.

Sports contain mental components, they're not just the comparison of skill levels. If they were the games would be over before they begin. How your club carries itself- from the goal it sets to the image it portrays filters through. IMO that includes the Guernsey that players are expected to look at themselves and their teammates in and draw pride. A bunch of happy squiggles is nothing to psych yourself up from. Build a club and a culture proud of our club, proud of our history, and with a desire to not disgrace the legacy of those that came before. That starts with the logo/uniforms that we've put out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back