Status
Not open for further replies.

FavoriteSun

All Australian
Feb 8, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Do you really think that the board would sack the coach after the CEO who picked him is elevated to league level? Really? Think Gillian wants his hand picked guy's first coaching hire to be sacked weeks after he takes the job at the league office?

This is simply media speculation run rampant because of the lack of any really juicy stuff to be coming out at years end. No drug fueled bust ups, no crazy trips or arrests yet.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
So who are our blue ribbon candidates? Like to see a poll on 5 or 6 of them....

Bolton.
Bomber.

Bazza37

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If you want a laugh go to the main scandal & rumour thread
Bye Bye Blue Balls

Last edited:

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
A) why would 'Bomber' Thompson leave GEELONG to go back to Essendon for only a couple of years, then want to pack again??

B) people CANNOT BE SERIOUS in thinking that Worsfold is ANYWHERE NEAR the level of Thompson, Lyon, Malthouse.

There's no role for Bomber at Essendon anymore. If Hird does return, Neil Craig was hired as his right hand man. There's no room in any footy club for two senior assistants.

Worsfold rebuilt West Coast from cellar dwellers to contenders twice. He can definitely hold his head high among some of the great coaches in the game. You're right though about premiership coaches being just coaches before winning the flag, which is why I rate guys like Lyon and Rocket Eade just as high even though they haven't won the big dance, but to not rate Worsfold is being a bit ignorant of his successes at West Coast.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I'm not sure I believe that Bomber would move up to the GC to coach us, but I do believe what I've heard regarding internal tension at EFC.

It's been noted for quite a while that some players prefer Hird, whereas other prefer Bomber. I think if Bomber were to stay and Hirdy returned as senior coach, there'd be some issues in the squad. The only way this could possibly play out is one or both leaving the club.

Given Bomber has tasted senior coaching again, I wonder what his intentions are and whether, should the option arise, he'd prefer staying on at senior coach at Essendon. If that's not an option, I can definitely see him coaching elsewhere - Bulldogs and GC being the frontrunners.

As for Bluey, I don't believe his communication skills are up to scratch to be an effective senior coach - judging from what I've seen in the post-match conferences. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I think he should be sacked. BUT, if Bomber were to replace Bluey, I wouldn't complain. And IF Bluey were to be sacked, I think Bomber is the one and only option that should be looked at atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dammit

Challenge Accepted
Mar 20, 2010
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Gold Coast
SUNS Fair point. However, old mate Sherlock Holmes always says that 'no matter how unlikely something may seem, the most logical answer is always the right one'. It's not logical to sack Bluey. It is logical to hold firm. I think we'll hold firm.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Chairman John Witheriff said "We will have a vigorous review and if anything comes out of that I will make any announcements then, that's how we operate."

*I would have a lot more faith if Witheriff was saying something like we had a poor 2nd half of the season, we want to make sure it doesn't happen again but rest assured McKenna is our #1 choice and we back him 100% to have a great 2015 season, yada yada. This whole coach speculation is really sucky. Doesn't reflect well on the club.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...kennas-job-20140915-10hbnk.html#ixzz3DSdyKKKN

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Chairman John Witheriff said "We will have a vigorous review and if anything comes out of that I will make any announcements then, that's how we operate."

*I would have a lot more faith if Witheriff was saying something like we had a poor 2nd half of the season, we want to make sure it doesn't happen again but rest assured McKenna is our #1 choice and we back him 100% to have a great 2015 season, yada yada. This whole coach speculation is really sucky. Doesn't reflect well on the club.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...kennas-job-20140915-10hbnk.html#ixzz3DSdyKKKN
Very much agree with you on the point bolded.

I'm wondering though, due to the shitty state of journalism in general, whether Witheriff's response was actually in reply to more broad a question. As in, a reporter asked him 'Are you going to look over what happened in the 2nd half of the season?', and not 'Are you going to sack Bluey?'.

I still honestly don't believe that a club would be so stupid as to sack a coach who has only ever moved the team forward (I guess the first two years were stagnant, but I'd imagine that would have been the case with any coach). Considering the GC Suns are so young, it really does surprise me that the media has latched onto this as hard as it has, but the AFL NEEDS the Suns to succeed, and if the club has any inkling that success is more likely under a different coach, then that's what's going to happen.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't see Thompson taking on a senior coaching role at the Suns, but the club is being unusually tight-lipped about Guy McKenna's future at the club and that is concerning.

I still don't see who they could possibly replace Guy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back