List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that will end up in court too. This time with the AFL backing Little & Co.

The key thing about this whole saga is that Essendon have refused to roll over. Which is showing how much of these AFL & other rules are dependent on people rolling over.
yeah thats very true, its been administration by negotiation for a long time now under Vlad. Thats because the restrictive rules underpinning the whole league are flimsy at best in the commercial world.

The key thing about this whole saga is that Essendon have refused to roll over. Which is showing how much of these AFL & other rules are dependent on people rolling over.

Bullshit. They rolled over and accepted the AFLs punishment last year. This current court case is a last ditch effort ( and who knows they may win) because they know the interviews are dynamite...I mean they were enough for 34 SCs as a starting point

Wasn't it Paul Connors that said a few years ago why would any player chose to join Port, now his client in Ryder is considering Port

According to The Age, the Powder are in the box seat to get Ryder. While we are not actually going for him.
Our Club needs to turn a complete 180 and move forward we need to be perceived as a great destination for a player to land in. We need to kick start and rebuild this Club, there is plenty of great things in place that form the foundation which we have but we really need to start to remind the AFL world that we are the number 1 Club in this state and one of the powerhouses in the AFL.

One thing that concerns me about us "getting Cameron" is that there really has been no talk in the media at all about this aside from the news segment some time back. Yet for other players that have finished their season they are being rumoured to be going all over the place bar Adelaide.

Rumours come from player agents leaking hints and details to the press to further whatever agenda they're pushing for, be it a smooth trade, an increase in the offered contract, whatever. The full blown dramas start when the clubs start leaking details, because by that stage they're pretty desperate, and they aren't subtle.

No rumours now means his manager isn't talking to the press - the 'unsettled Cameron' rumours all year were just softening the ground to make it less of a shock to the public if he does leave, prevent the whiplash - which should mean whatever is happening is what he wants to happen, even if that's nothing at all because he isn't leaving.

Last edited:
I would love to happily have egg on my face. But Cameron isnt coming to Adelaide, I just cant see how the Crows can logistically construct a deal where GWS are happy to trade their ace forward.

I would rather see us spend the energy to bring Aish home. It wouldnt surprise me if Cameron's manager is using this as a tool to get a godfather contract from GWS. It has happened before.

It wouldnt surprise me if Cameron's manager is using this as a tool to get a godfather contract from GWS. It has happened before.

Even if it is, Cameron is of a calibre worth pursuing just to be sure. Plus, every extra bit the other clubs force GWS to tighten their grip by on Cameron is some grip they lose on other talented players we can work on in coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if it is, Cameron is of a calibre worth pursuing just to be sure. Plus, every extra bit the other clubs force GWS to tighten their grip by on Cameron is some grip they lose on other talented players we can work on in coming years.

Well that last bit applies to all the other 17 Clubs, a bit like what will happen next year (and now) when clubs start circling Danger and we naturally offer him a big contract and have a few of our players exposed to being pinched.

Im not saying we shouldnt go after him and yes it is audacious. But I dont see how a contracted player such as Cameron could leave the GWS via trade unless it involved any of our top prized assets like Danger/Tex/Talia.

Aish on the other hand is much more gettable and easier to prise from Brisbane than a rumour suggesting that Cameron is homesick.

Bullshit. They rolled over and accepted the AFLs punishment last year. This current court case is a last ditch effort ( and who knows they may win) because they know the interviews are dynamite...I mean they were enough for 34 SCs as a starting point

correct. and they haven't rolled over with ASADA because to do so would see the club left in ruin with no coach and a raft of banned players, not to mention the players who would leave if it were proven that the club has been lying to them.

there's nothing noble about their actions - they are trying to avoid liability for the actions of club employees, plain and simple.

Aish on the other hand is much more gettable and easier to prise from Brisbane than a rumour suggesting that Cameron is homesick.

Brisbane already had one exodus, they're going to fight harder than GWS will to prevent another. I really don't think Aish is going to be available before he reaches free agency, unless he doesn't turn out as expected.

Also, it's not homesickness with Cameron, it's "I don't like living in Sydney" and "I'm not getting on with my coach and the staff" sickness. There's no way for him to both live in his home, and play AFL football, genuinely homesick country kids tend to just pack the whole thing in and go back to the farm, not shop around for moves to other clubs.

Brisbane already had one exodus, they're going to fight harder than GWS will to prevent another. I really don't think Aish is going to be available before he reaches free agency, unless he doesn't turn out as expected.

Also, it's not homesickness with Cameron, it's "I don't like living in Sydney" and "I'm not getting on with my coach and the staff" sickness. There's no way for him to both live in his home, and play AFL football, genuinely homesick country kids tend to just pack the whole thing in and go back to the farm, not shop around for moves to other clubs.

When his hometown has a population level that's in the hundreds, it's not surprising that he isn't a big fan of Sydney.

I believe that they know exactly what each player was given. They just don't want to tell and they destroyed all evidence because it would incriminate them more.
There is no way they would inject different stuff and or quantity, into different players, without being able to keep track of the results.

Do you really believe that the phone call the night before the investigation, was just a courtesy call?

They have said they don't know! Repeatedly. But then follow that up with that they think it is okay that nothing "illegal" was "injested" which is a lot of semantics and misdirection going on there. I have been following this saga very closely since it started as ethics is something I have knowledge of and I have been a coach myself and duty of care toward my athletes was always your first priority. Neither of those things appear to be of concern at Essendon. Even with their continual 'omg think of the players' bleating they do.

Continually they have asked Dank to tell them what has been given, or said he has the information and they don't. Funnily enough they haven't pressured him more than this. So yeah, pretty sure they have a fair idea what was given but never ever want it known.

Then they have asked the AFLPA to tell them what has been given to the players as the AFLPA was so concerned about it that they have set up a monitoring system for the players due to what was possibly been given. Which, incidentally Essendon agreed to from the start as they are so concerned about the players. This was all announced in February. Guess what, Essendon still have not signed off on this and it hasn't started yet. Yeah, they are soooo concerned about their players. The only thing Essendon are concerned about is not getting done for what they actually did which was a serious lack of duty of care to the athletes in their care.

They should be able to keep track, but apparently only Dank did this.

I know that it wasn't a courtesy call as the prior year they were being talked about everywhere as to the program in place and the use of PEDs.

So if as you say they do know what each player has been given, but they won't tell those players who have asked, or need to be reassured, then isn't that a hell of a breach of their duty of care?

The AFLPA would pick up the tab. It's what the PA is for....... union membership gives you access to lawyers when your employer breaches your rights.

Interestingly the lawyers for the players in the current case are actually being paid for by Essendon, not the AFLPA. That's a hell of a conflict of interest.

Its being reported in the press and over radio etc that this can only be determined in court. The AFLPA acknowledge this.

Ryder & co. Will be trying to appeal to Essendon's good judgement, because Ryder's career will be over by the time the courts have weighed in, appeals heard etc. And it probably needs to wait for the ASADA shenanigans to be resolved too

You can't just "declare" you think a breach has happened and that what you think is the appropriate remedy should stand. Doesn't work like that and a due process must happen

Essendon's view is they've done nothing wrong, and no formal charges have been proven.

Goes to an AFL panel first. Then if Essendon don't like what happened then it goes further.

Essendon have no good judgement. They have proved that time and again in this saga.

They accepted formal charges happened in the AFL punishment. We have seen that the AFL were trying to help Essendon out of the pickle, but Essendon (more likely Hird) refused to toe that line of the AFL deal making and now 2 years down the track this is still dragging on. They have admitted that substances not approved for human use were injected into players (Watson's admission and the semantics about "injested" they use all the time).

It comes as simple as this. Can they tell the players exactly what they were given? The answer is a no from them. They have said this over and over that they don't know. If all of a sudden it becomes a yes, then why has it taken 2 years for them to do so? That is another breach that should be considered in the length of time that it took. The players had 2 years of conjecture and worry when the club could have cleared it up earlier, but didn't because they were trying to save their own arses and really don't give a s**t about the players no matter their media bleating otherwise.

One thing that concerns me about us "getting Cameron" is that there really has been no talk in the media at all about this aside from the news segment some time back. Yet for other players that have finished their season they are being rumoured to be going all over the place bar Adelaide.

Not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back