Traded #30: Patrick Ryder - Returns to the club as Indigenous Player Development Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

this parading around and going to barbecues has pissed me off.

But even if Connors is just pushing Essendon for a better deal, you'd still be expecting this sort of circus. Doesn't mean anything really.

Bradshaw used to do it to us every contract negotiation. Convenient pictures would get released of him touring Geelong's facilities etc.

Inside Football writer (don't know who) was saying on SEN the asking price for Ryder from Ess is a high first rounder and established player, which is scaring off a few clubs. Didn't mention the ooga booga clause until Dr Turf brought it up

I think clubs would be nuts to rely on that, and it's no coincidence general chatter has stopped about that, outside of football fan forums and SEN presenters. I tend to think that the minute it became a multi club process the clause went out the window. You can't be playing hardball on a clause like that when there's every danger the player and Ess will just come to terms with someone who'll take him from under your nose.

At the end of the day though, Connors achieved exactly what he wanted. A vigorous, public, inflationary debate about Paddy Ryder moving on, which will earn him a very nice fee whether he stays or goes

It could mean absolutely anything.

It could be "God I'm sick of the media following me around"; it could be "God I feel sick in the stomach after that airline food"; or "I just watched the Dexter season 4 finale and I'm gutted".

No point speculating.
also, no offence to the Dog, but anyone who draws a conclusion from a photo is being silly. It's a micro second in time. He might have been beaming a second either side of this. He may have just farted. Who knows

It could mean absolutely anything.

It could be "God I'm sick of the media following me around"; it could be "God I feel sick in the stomach after that airline food"; or "I just watched the Dexter season 4 finale and I'm gutted".

No point speculating.

YES!! how good was that ending? I sat speechless for a good few minutes on the couch with my wife... Then we ate Burritos for dinner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't understand why any club would/could offer him a 4-5yr contract, on more $'s whilst there is still uncertainty over ASADA bans.

To me it just doesn't make sense, unless of course every one bar me knows for certain the outcome of the investigation.
No player will miss a game, even if they do very short suspension.

I just don't understand why any club would/could offer him a 4-5yr contract, on more $'s whilst there is still uncertainty over ASADA bans.

To me it just doesn't make sense, unless of course every one bar me knows for certain the outcome of the investigation.
It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL had assured all other club Presidents that in the event they obtain an Essendon player, and that player is banned, then the club will have that player's contract exempt from the salary cap.

In fact that'd make a lot of sense to keep things moving along.

I often had that facial expression when I had to follow the old woman around town. To me, Ryder looks thrilled to be playing with superstar Sauce Merrett. :p

also, no offence to the Dog, but anyone who draws a conclusion from a photo is being silly. It's a micro second in time. He might have been beaming a second either side of this. He may have just farted. Who knows
Extra smelly one?

I often had that facial expression when I had to follow the old woman around town. To me, Ryder looks thrilled to be playing with superstar Sauce Merrett. :p

Would be hilarious if Sauce was part of the trade. I know you are all big fans ;)

Im actually excited at the prospect of him leaving now, provided we get a good trade of course. Think I'll actually be disappointed if he stays

Has this ever been done by a contracted player? People mention Dustin Martin but i thought his contract had expired hence the offers, At the moment we have reportedly 3 clubs offering mbig money to a contracted player?

I had some sympathy when this was family related, if its money related he can piss off, If more of our players are like this then we will never be a great team while they are around. look at Geelong, all took paycuts to stay together and build a stong team, god how i wish we had a list like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back