Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

And my question was serious, was he a decent enough player to be given this honour. Am yet to actually argue with anyone that has responded to that.

I did however roll my eyes at a piss weak troll that can barely string a sentence together away from the North Melbourne board.

In isolation of his 240 odd games no he probably isn't good enough to be recognized in a statue infront of others

But adding

- Irish
- started at 17
- cost Melbourne a grand final and came back stronger
- single handedly saved MFC
- numerous work for charity
- arguably the greatest story ever
- continued to be a Melbourne figurehead even after being diagnosed with terminal cancer

Go take your questions elsewhere mate

In isolation of his 240 odd games no he probably isn't good enough to be recognized in a statue infront of others

But adding

- Irish
- started at 17
- cost Melbourne a grand final and came back stronger
- single handedly saved MFC
- numerous work for charity
- arguably the greatest story ever
- continued to be a Melbourne figurehead even after being diagnosed with terminal cancer

Yeah I'd probably agree with you.

Go take your questions elsewhere mate

Why? The simple question itself was somehow offensive to you? And as I said earlier, I never argued that it wasn't an appropriate accolade - my initial reaction was to genuinely consider his playing achievements and wonder out loud if they were lofty enough.

Why? The simple question itself was somehow offensive to you? And as I said earlier, I never argued that it wasn't an appropriate accolade - my initial reaction was to genuinely consider his playing achievements and wonder out loud if they were lofty enough.

OK let's all keep it nice in here, as above this thread is meant to celebrate the memory of one of the game's legends.

Jade, your initial question came across a little blunt, despite it clearly being a genuine inquiry. As nickgrant69 says it's about the combination of his onfield achievements, off-field work and incredible story that get him over the line. On-field alone? Sure there have been better players, that's not the point though.

Also keep in mind we're a little precious at times about Stynes - we don't take criticism of a legend of our club too well, as you would expect given his story and his impact on the club recently.

OK let's all keep it nice in here, as above this thread is meant to celebrate the memory of one of the game's legends.

Jade, your initial question came across a little blunt, despite it clearly being a genuine inquiry. As nickgrant69 says it's about the combination of his onfield achievements, off-field work and incredible story that get him over the line. On-field alone? Sure there have been better players, that's not the point though.

Also keep in mind we're a little precious at times about Stynes - we don't take criticism of a legend of our club too well, as you would expect given his story and his impact on the club recently.

Yeah fair call; on the re-read does seem a little bit more blunt than intended - my bad.

Have nothing but good things to say about the big fella - still think it's a bloody crime that people that genuinely work to improve the world around them can get struck down like that.

I just hope they get his face right - unlike that female runner (Dawn French?), She looks like a vampire.
EDIT - I'm a flat out knob - Explanation is below - but I mean Betty Cuthbert.

Last edited:
hahah I'm an Idiot, Just talking about Dawn french - she's an actress, I meant Betty Cuthbert.

God I'm a knob. :confused:

Did you get Dawn French confused with Dawn Fraser the swimmer? And then get her confused with Betty Cuthbert? :confused:

I,ve read a number of posters querying whether Stynes was a "good enough" player to deserve a statue.

What utter crap. leaving the brownlow aside, he was the heartbeat of the Melbourne team for a number of years and had probably 3 years as the dominant mobile ruck in the game.

Besides, I can think of no footballing identity who has made such a contribution off the field.

Jim Stynes, a legend of the MFC, an ornament of to the game. I can think of no one more deserving.

Sorry to intrude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say on playing accolades alone he could deserve one. Greatest international player of all time, blueprint for the modern ruckman, most durable player of all time, only foreign player to win a brownlow. Pretty damn impressive.

BxsgQ4fCcAA_t3t.jpg:large

A suggestion to all of you, especially Striker475, don't bother taking this to the main board and then spending all day defending our colours.

The nationwide goodwill for Jim will always be strong, but the minority will always be very vocal in their opposition to this.

Another decent pre-season and he should be cherry ripe for us...

Stick the statue in the goal square and it would take more contested marks and kick more goals than Dawes.

Jimmy was one of the greatest figures in my life if not the greatest figure. Not just for what he did for the football club, but what he achieved in all aspects of his life. He was the person that inspired me to keep working my hardest in my own aspects of life even when the chips were down and probably influenced me to be the person I am today.

2 and a half years on and the pain of knowing Jim is no longer around still hurts deep inside.

Stick the statue in the goal square and it would take more contested marks and kick more goals than Dawes.
Maybe the problem is that Dawes has been modelling his marking technique on a statue?

(never thought I'd say Dawes and marking technique in the same sentence...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back