NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

few years ago at Broady there was one of the best crowds i think it was bigger than the GF the week after at carrara between Sahrks and Mside?
Yeah, Speedy unit, I remember this as It was my first year up here, moving from Albury to the Gold Coast in early September that year. So the first QLD footy game I witnessed was the GF between PBC and Western Magpies. PBC were unbeaten all year and red hot favs to take the flag...... but they didn't with the Magpies getting up in the final 2 minutes. Was a great contest and there would of been some 3000 plus there at Broadbeach and the atmosphere was fantastic. That game was on a Saturday, and on the sunday, Morningside vs Southport GF in the top comp in QLD...... so I was licking my lips expecting a 5,000 plus crowd,,,,,, how wrong I was,,, it was played at the old Carrara stadium and deadset, there was no more then 1000 supporters in attendance.... more accurately only about 800. I couldn't believe this , be it the top level comp at the time.. Must say the game was of a good standard and only won in the last quarter,hence here we are some 10 seasons later, the population of south east QLD has grown big time since 2004, yet the crowd attendances at QLD footy hasn't followed suit.
I was at the QAFL prelim final on Saturday, and as reported the crowd would of been some 1100 plus.... good crowd for a prelim final.
Thus I was not at the Neafl GF, but have received reports from some mates that attended the game and they predicted the crowd was of some 1800 to 2000 at the most. Yet fellow posters are on here saying there were 3000 plus in attendance.
I watched the full game on the net on sunday, and from what I could see I must say it looked like a crowd of some 1800 to 2000. Anyway it doesn't matter, all im saying is that I wish the comp be better supported by the local population and achieve bigger crowds as the standard of footy in both divisions come finals time is very good.

Its about direct affiliation with a club I reckon Stuy - some clubs harness it others don't. Noosa has an incredible support base for such a small area. You can go to a Noosa home game and depending on who they are playing there will be 400-600 people which is alright I reckon.

Depends what else is on also. No juniors or afl match to complete with last sat plus 2 local teams hence a good crowd. Plus people know and enjoy the fact that you can park right around the ground at the cats. I'm biased but no doubt one of the better places in qld to have a big game

Just watched the last 5min or so on swans tv - was a ripper finish, imagine Smith won't buy a drink all week. Just out of interest how did Heeney go as a potential #1 pick? Saw he made a fundamental error in this period when he could have put the footy over the boundary, tried to step back inside and pinged for holding the ball and Aspley then had footy in fwd half for a while. Really tough to teach this game sense stuff and only comes thru experience.
Great ground for watching footy I reckon Aspley - any ground where you can access all the way round is usually okay.

Just watched the last 5min or so on swans tv - was a ripper finish, imagine Smith won't buy a drink all week. Just out of interest how did Heeney go as a potential #1 pick? Saw he made a fundamental error in this period when he could have put the footy over the boundary, tried to step back inside and pinged for holding the ball and Aspley then had footy in fwd half for a while. Really tough to teach this game sense stuff and only comes thru experience.
Great ground for watching footy I reckon Aspley - any ground where you can access all the way round is usually okay.
He was okay but didn't dominate. Actually I thought Mills was better, cleaner and seemed physically more mature.

smy1305,

That tackle to ping Heeney holding the ball by No;1 Ryan Thompson was the turning point in the game and one of the best tackles I have seen this season especially after the cruel bounce he got seconds earlier, this tackle could have been the one to keep Aspley in the game - If Heeney had of snuck past him, I recon it could of been game over, as there was no one between this tackle on the wing and the Swan's goal Line - It is well worth watching this passage of play again - But you are right Smithy has not put his hand in his pocket since and I doubt if he ever has to again around the nest in the future - There is some rumours running around that he may be going to Europe next year for Work, so if this is true he will be very much missed at the Nest.

Last edited:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ed-for-afls-greater-good-20140922-10kdvb.html

This is what i've been banging on about for a while on here and its not just those "horrible" nth state AFL clubs that pay lip service to a "competition". As much as some of you old stalwarts would want it to be, the bottom line is the AFL clubs (all of them) are playing for a different reason. If you want to watch the best uncompromised club footy then the QAFL is the comp to watch. If you want to watch the best footballers then he NEAFL but don't expect too many sides trying to pretend that winning is the #1 priority.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ed-for-afls-greater-good-20140922-10kdvb.html

This is what i've been banging on about for a while on here and its not just those "horrible" nth state AFL clubs that pay lip service to a "competition". As much as some of you old stalwarts would want it to be, the bottom line is the AFL clubs (all of them) are playing for a different reason. If you want to watch the best uncompromised club footy then the QAFL is the comp to watch. If you want to watch the best footballers then he NEAFL but don't expect too many sides trying to pretend that winning is the #1 priority.

smy1305,

While I have read with interest the Hawks v Bulldogs reserves story via the above link, I have no doubt that after witnessing first hand, the NEAFL Grand Final here at Graham Road this year, that the Sydney Swans reserve side came here to Qld, not only to play but to win.
Every Swan player along with every Aspley player was spent after the game - the body language and actions of most of the players and their coaching and support staff said it all - THEY were VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED and visibly UPSET to lose this Grand Final, openly by some telling who would listen that they were robbed - That in itself does not sound like they did not give a toss if the won or lost????????

Obviously the mindset at Hawthorn is a lot different to Sydney where any further injuries to certain Hawthorn players may have jeopardised their chances to win a back to back AFL Grand final - This was to the advantage of the Bulldogs (there first piece of Silverware for 60 years) and good on them, there is no column for how you win Grand Finals (IE) if your opposition puts their cue in the rack - just a record of winning them. Again the Swans to their credit played every available listed player that they could to put their best team on the park.

Will the record show that the Morningside Panthers absolutely outclassed the Labrador Tigers, to the point they took their foot off their pedal in the last quarter, I think not. These guys should still be in the NEAFL IMO.

I must say between watching both games first hand, the NEAFL Grand final was far more the best Grand Final between the two, I would even venture to say it would be the greatest AFL Grand Final that I have ever seen at any level and the crowd was able to enjoy the win and suffer the loss with both teams first hand on the ground with their players and supporters. Chalk and Cheese really without a doubt the best footy played this year in Qld was in the NEAFL Competition.

*Footnote* The NEAFL staff looked very much like the AFLQ staff policing both venues with different rules - how does that work?????????

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the players who take the field aren't doing their utmost to win the game. It's the decisions made by the coaches that are beyond the control of the players such as restricting the amount of game time that a certain player can do when he's coming back from injury. Cyril was the big example on the weekend and the situation was exacerbated by a number of injuries to the Hawks which made it more jarring why a 'fit' player didn't come back on.

The Swans have had similar situations in the past with managing injured players making their return.

Spot on Grimlock. You could easily argue in any of these sort of comps that the 2 best sides don't even make it to GF day - bc during the course of the year various things happen on game day such as playing player x for 70min that compromise the result of a match. Who knows? Who really cares?

Yep the QAFL GF was obviously pretty one sided BB, Morningside are a cut above at this stage but this will change in due course and they would have been pulverised in the NEAFL this year anyway. The coaches job with the AFL clubs isn't judged by a GF victory or not BB, thats all i'm getting at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Grimlock. You could easily argue in any of these sort of comps that the 2 best sides don't even make it to GF day - bc during the course of the year various things happen on game day such as playing player x for 70min that compromise the result of a match. Who knows? Who really cares?

Yep the QAFL GF was obviously pretty one sided BB, Morningside are a cut above at this stage but this will change in due course and they would have been pulverised in the NEAFL this year anyway. The coaches job with the AFL clubs isn't judged by a GF victory or not BB, thats all i'm getting at.

Grimloc and smy1305,
I agree with both of your posts above, yes I admit that AFL sides will use any and all now 2nd tier competitions for their clubs benefit to win the holy grail, but this is not etched on to the cup when a non or an AFL Club happens to win one. Grand Finals arer Grand Finals and you can only play against the side you line up on!!!!!!!!

Morningside will be up at the top for a long time to come IMO - The only way to have the current AFLQ competition in the short term evened up, is to compromise the competition, by restricting their list, like the AFL Clubs have to do when playing non AFL sides except for the NT Side. Morningside's Seniors, Reserves and U/18's are just too strong with a great club culture and strong policed beliefs. All footy clubs should strive for these which the Panthers are blessed with, but in Morningsides case in the current competition, its them and then daylight.

It was bantered around in circles on Sat if the Joe Grant medal was on hand. Forgetting the Andrew Ireland medal at the Dias of The NEAFL presentation was pretty funny. Nearly as funny as not letting supporters around either huddles.

Yeah not sure BB re your assessment of Morningside. Other clubs will step up, spend some $$, bring juniors thru, etc. Morningside are a class act, obviously really really good people around the club and I can't see them being weak for a long time but I'm not sure they will win the next 5 flags either. If they do then this will be no different to strong suburban leagues elsewhere. Its not the be all, I'm sure they will be happy to win their GF's as long as they are financial.

It was bantered around in circles on Sat if the Joe Grant medal was on hand. Forgetting the Andrew Ireland medal at the Dias of The NEAFL presentation was pretty funny. Nearly as funny as not letting supporters around either huddles.
Spot on Chikka,,,,, so many stuff ups at both Neafl and the Qafl grand finals it just was a joke..... so unprofessional.

Spot on Chikka,,,,, so many stuff ups at both Neafl and the Qafl grand finals it just was a joke..... so unprofessional.
Especially the QAFL GF...... nobody allowed on the ground for all the games,,,, no kids to have a kick on the ground at any time, no supporters allowed to attend the huddle at quarter breaks, I mean what a joke. Not to mention the quick removal of the Premiership team from the ground because the womens GF had to get started,,, The Morningside players did not even get to do the traditional lap of honour !!! As for the half time sprint races, it was just come on runners get on your mark and go at the sound of the hand held siren. In the mens, the Morningside rep, raised his arm in the air saying he wasn't ready yet, but the guy with the starting siren just pushed the button and the field was off with the Morningside rep left standing there. Then 3 minutes later, similar happened in the womens sprint... from a spectators point of view, it certainly appeared as if the QAFL employees handling this part of the game day, didn't give a rats arse and just wanted it over and done with.
But the biggest issue, was the no spectators allowed on the ground at any time........ This is just something that is a huge feature in every aussie rule comp across the nation.except for the big league (AFL). And one says the QLD FOOTY heirachy is trying to grow the standard of aussie rules football in Qld.??????
After witnessing the QAFL GF, I flew out of Brisbane that night , destination Albury( where I played all my career) to see the Ovens & Murray GF between Albury and Yarrawonga. Albury won by 7 points in a classic, but more importantly, the entire days program was run to a tee. With a crowd of some 12000 , you should see the huddles at the quarter time breaks,,,, I mean its 20 deep .....on the Friday both clubs have a GF luncheon, with Yarra having Campbell Brown as their guest speaker, and Albury having the legend Brisbane Lions Jonathan Brown......... Jonathan Brown also did the toss of the coin, and at half time was a special guest with the Radio crew.(2ay) answering questions etc . Browny commented on the professional presentation standard as being the best he has seen in country footy in Australia and in his opinion the Albury and Yarrawonga sides would have the better of the NEAFL top sides.
And I agree, with both clubs each, having 5 or 6 ex afl players , plus some vfl and sanfl senior players, the game was played at a frantic pace, was nothing short of hard and brutal ( brutal being in tough, not dirty) and great skill levels.
I feel, the NEAFL/AFLQ should take a trip down south and meet with say the major league comps in Victoria, be it the O&M,GVFL, and major metro Melbourne comps such as the EDFL,to pick up some of the ways things are done that may well be beneficial to QLD footy.

Mail is Eastlake approached Kade Klemke to coach in 2015 and Kade had the blessing of the Qbn Tigers.

Reporter rings Eastlake and asks them to comment on Kade getting the Eastlake job.

Eastlake ring Kade and abuse him for telling the press.

Kade has no idea what they are talking about.

Kade re signs for Qbn.

Silly Eastlake

Rumour is Eastlake looking for a new coach,,,,,

Burke in trouble:eek:

Eastlake = Shithou$e Club.

Signs coach for 2 years in Sept;

http://neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16...]=1567&cHash=efc55a9251f1153d8b86ae3bace7fa3f

then actively trying to replace him 6 months later, I heard that their board was seeking a replacemnt in May, hence the post in May......

I heard at the GWS lunch yesterday in Canberra that not one board member has met with bourke to explain their decision.....

I'd be abit tentative lining up for that job.

Good move by Kade I'd reckon.

Eastlake = Shithou$e Club.

Signs coach for 2 years in Sept;

http://neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16...]=1567&cHash=efc55a9251f1153d8b86ae3bace7fa3f

then actively trying to replace him 6 months later, I heard that their board was seeking a replacemnt in May, hence the post in May......

I heard at the GWS lunch yesterday in Canberra that not one board member has met with bourke to explain their decision.....

I'd be abit tentative lining up for that job.

Good move by Kade I'd reckon.

Was a great lunch yesterday and a fantastic night at the Duxton

Sounds like Eastlake did a Belconnen from a few years ago with Michael Horne. They where also actively looking to replace him half way during a season.

Difference was Horney got wind of it and walked

Last edited:
See ex Morningside player in Peter Yagmoor has been delisted by Collingwood. Will he return to QLD, and if so, who will he play for??
Also, seems to be a lot of unrest at Redlands,,,, !!! with a number of senior players wanting out....

See ex Morningside player in Peter Yagmoor has been delisted by Collingwood. Will he return to QLD, and if so, who will he play for??
Also, seems to be a lot of unrest at Redlands,,,, !!! with a number of senior players wanting out....

stuyd1,

Peter Yagmoor is a very good player or was when up here as a junior - Just did not get those opportunities that others may have got in his time at Collingwood. I don't think he will have any trouble at all getting into a VFL Side or even rookied to another AFL Club. Fast and Smart but unfortunately at Collingwood he was one of about 10 in the same mould.

I am rather interested in the word above about Redlands, I thought they had a good year considering given their new recruits would be taking time to adapt to a new side and their bottom end players who may have struggled a little toward the end of the season after injuries etc.

Have we got a players revolt happening here?????

Or is it just Carsey offering some of his old team mates a gig down in the cold, cold Southern regions of Victoria.

The Redland Coaching gig for 2015 will be very interesting with Penguin resigning - His shoes will be very hard to fill (no pun intended) as IMO along with King Marty, I felt they were on the cusp and about to build a red and black dynasty, that looked very formidable for some years to come, someone (The New Coach) will benefit in the moulding of the current group of players, by the retirement of Penguin, if they (the players and the Club) just hold their nerve and keep what they are doing - Moving forward each season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back