List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Padraig Lucey - Rookie Draft selection no. 49

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey even Mummy started out as a pie-eating fat bastard from up country, so here's hoping Selwood puts the fear of God into this guy and he tries his heart out!

Almost the ideal ruck pick-up, as far as I'm concerned. Would have been nice to get someone with slightly more seasoning (he's only been training at Heidelberg, don't think he played for them), but if you asked me what I wanted from a ruck pick-up in the offseason, these would have been the criteria:
  • Younger than Simpson and preferably <23 (tick)
  • A clear step below Simpson/McIntosh, in terms of AFL ability and therefore, not prone to sooking about playing in the VFL, as well as avoiding a three way controversy between McIntosh/Simpson/Lucey, should the incumbents be healthy all season (tick)
  • Cheap (tick)
  • Tallish for a ruckman (not as big as Simpson, but around the 202-205cm range) and the frame to mix it with AFL rucks (tick)
  • Good athleticism for a ruckman (tentative tick)
  • Potential to play as a stopgap at some point in 2015, should he be required (???)
  • Potential to develop quickly, get a bit of senior experience over the next two years and be ready to take over from McIntosh and potentially give Simpson a serious challenge for the #1 mantle, when McIntosh is finishing up - presumably by the end of 2016 (tentative tick)
Those last two points are critical, but I think Lucey is as good a gamble as anything else that we were going to find.

And a Kerry boy to boot...excited about this!

Those last two points are critical, but I think Lucey is as good a gamble as anything else that we were going to find.

Definitely, as long as he commits to getting AFL-fit, then I can't see any reason to complain or question this guy being Rookie B-Listed; his wages won't eat into our salary cap, and yet he'll be on-hand to provide an option if we're short of fit ruckmen again.
Might be doomed to failure - so what?
List management has rolled the dice and now we just wait and hope - or, wait and whinge if preferable !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm not that The Recruit actually shows us any footy but he hasnt seemed to show much in the mental strength department...

Also start losing the puppy fat son!

He won that block holding contest, that takes plenty of mental strength. He also held his own against the other ruckman Bradie who is in the top three. It was a close call between those two.

He won that block holding contest, that takes plenty of mental strength. He also held his own against the other ruckman Bradie who is in the top three. It was a close call between those two.

If the highlights were to be believed, Bradie Foster got the nod, mainly because of a second and third effort he gave from a ruck contest in the SANFL practice match hitout that they had.

Ben Dixon was saying something like 'You know when you just see one play that tells you that this bloke can get drafted? Well that was it?'

I hope he was joking.

Ben Dixon was saying something like 'You know when you just see one play that tells you that this bloke can get drafted? Well that was it?'

I hope he was joking.
From his commentary on the U18s I think Ben Dixon is a little bit obsessed with finding that 'one play'.

From his commentary on the U18s I think Ben Dixon is a little bit obsessed with finding that 'one play'.

Glad Ben never saw me play this one day in 1996. I had a great one minute. Didn't do anything else for the rest of the season though..

Almost the ideal ruck pick-up, as far as I'm concerned. Would have been nice to get someone with slightly more seasoning (he's only been training at Heidelberg, don't think he played for them), but if you asked me what I wanted from a ruck pick-up in the offseason, these would have been the criteria:
  • Younger than Simpson and preferably <23 (tick)
  • A clear step below Simpson/McIntosh, in terms of AFL ability and therefore, not prone to sooking about playing in the VFL, as well as avoiding a three way controversy between McIntosh/Simpson/Lucey, should the incumbents be healthy all season (tick)
  • Cheap (tick)
  • Tallish for a ruckman (not as big as Simpson, but around the 202-205cm range) and the frame to mix it with AFL rucks (tick)
  • Good athleticism for a ruckman (tentative tick)
  • Potential to play as a stopgap at some point in 2015, should he be required (???)
  • Potential to develop quickly, get a bit of senior experience over the next two years and be ready to take over from McIntosh and potentially give Simpson a serious challenge for the #1 mantle, when McIntosh is finishing up - presumably by the end of 2016 (tentative tick)

And a Kerry boy to boot...excited about this!

Don't have any problems with the listing of this guy.

But if he's required to play seniors at all next year I would have thought we are still in deep, deep trouble in the ruck.

Another 'plug and play' ruck man is absolutely vital for 2015. And it can't be this bloke.

All things going well for Paddy, I hope to see him debut in the ones early in 2017.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back