(Other) Reactions If We Beat The Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't exactly understand if the vibe I am getting across the seas is off the mark, but I have the sense that most footy supporters and players throughout the league are getting behind North but the AFL and media are deadset against us. Certainly there has been some media street love for our new Brown Sugar combo but, in general, you would almost contrast their respect for Port Adelaide with a sense of disdain for North. And, conspiritorialists unite, we well know how we are seen by the AFL. In some ways, this love/hate situation reflects our Jekyll and Hyde season.

So, knowing full well that we are the underdogs on Friday, but an upset is still very possible, do you think the media and/or, dare I say, even the AFL will get on the Arden Street bandwagon if we make it to the last week in September?

North to play Grand Final no.18 for the year.

I wouldn't say the media and supposed "experts" are against us, but more dismissive of us.

As for your OP's question......

"Buddy ROOted"

buddy-franklin-628.jpg

"Swans' $10M man held goalless by no name defender and three corrupt umpires."

"The Offer firms as favourite for the 2014 Melbourne Cup"

-- I'm not buy ing though. The AFL love us this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Sydney the headline will be "Roosters bury the Cowboys - Then wipe faeces over topless barmaids".

I wouldn't say the media and supposed "experts" are against us, but more dismissive of us.

As for your OP's question......

"Buddy ROOted"

buddy-franklin-628.jpg

"Swans' $10M man held goalless by no name defender and three corrupt umpires."
I think this is the point. The media I don't think (apart from a couple of people who might just generally dislike the team) are against us just respectful of Sydney and their fire power - coupled with the week off and home ground advantage, it's easy to see how an objective analyst come to a dismissive conclusion of NM.

But we can only prove them wrong and push Sydney but it won't be easy.

I think we have had a very good run in the media over the past couple of weeks to be honest.

The media meltdown would be something to behold.

The meltdown on the swans board would be something to behold.

The fun to be had on the bay would be huge with posters from the bullflogs and Melbourne.

The meltdown on the swans board would be something to behold.

The fun to be had on the bay would be huge with posters from the bullflogs and Melbourne.

It would be worth a side trip from ANZ Stadium to the Parramatta Video Ezy just to witness it unfolding.

North Wins! Upsurge in Sydney house prices blamed for doubling of COLA allowance.

Couldn't give a stuff what they say but I'm sure if we win we'll get some love.

I'm more concerned about what i'll do if we win. I'm not holding out hope of a win this week. They have such a strong team and their record this year has them deserved favourites.

If we somehow pull off what would be an incredible win I might end up running down the street stark naked.

Well, given we haven't generally performed with the burden of expectation, I guess we should be grateful.

I agree that the media is less 'against us' as 'dismissive of us'. I don't just think this is about respect for Sydney. I think it's the default media setting for North. We don't get attention or respect until after we've exceeded expectations or bested other media darlings. There is also the other media 'default' and that is the 6-12 months time lag between performance and commentary which generally applies to all teams.

And, let's face it, Port will get more attention for defeating Fremantle away, along with their Cinderella story, whereas we have not yet accomplished this in the finals.

Fully expect a North win to be greeted with accolades, for it will be a massive effort.

However in keeping with the meme it will mean a whole series of overpaid pundits reciting into the mirror our list to try and commit it to memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back