Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lehmann said Haddin would captain.

Yes just read it. Actually a bit surprised, this would be the perfect opportunity to trial a new captain. We know what Haddin and to and extent Watson can do.

Would seem strange not to give the VC the job when the captain is out... Will be interesting to see what happens with the lineup if Clarke doesn't play though. Hughes has a massive weakness against spin and I'm not sure Maxwell is the right replacement for a reliable Clarke.

Judging from a few quotes from Rod Marsh and Lehman, I have a feeling the selectors are really putting the heat on Maxwell to try and get his head straight though which may mean he isn't far off a recall.

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Smith
Watson
Maxwell/Clarke
Haddin
Johnson
O'Keefe
Siddle
Lyon

Would seem strange not to give the VC the job when the captain is out... Will be interesting to see what happens with the lineup if Clarke doesn't play though. Hughes has a massive weakness against spin and I'm not sure Maxwell is the right replacement for a reliable Clarke.

Judging from a few quotes from Rod Marsh and Lehman, I have a feeling the selectors are really putting the heat on Maxwell to try and get his head straight though which may mean he isn't far off a recall.

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Smith
Watson
Maxwell/Clarke
Haddin
Johnson
O'Keefe
Siddle
Lyon

From Marsh's comments about Maxwell

"He hasn't done enough to warrant selection". "He is the x-factor". "He has a very good record against Ajmal". "Technically I think he's a very fine batsman". "Technically I don't think he's a fine bowler". "He could play both Test matches". "He could play no Test matches".

To me that sounds like he was a hail mary option if Clarke didn't get up.

Ajmal's suspension might change that

Lyon will definitely play, if O'Keefe plays it will be at the expense of Siddle or Starc. And if you have Marsh and Watson in your side I'd expect to see both spinners.
Lyon and O'Keefe is a closer call than most think. Watson is no guarantee to bowl. If they want a second spinner, Maxwell will play instead of Marsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon and O'Keefe is a closer call than most think.

Really?

Our selectors already treated lyon poorly at the start of the tour to england after he bowled well at the back end of the indian tour, surely they understand that an offie bowling mostly in australia with 100+ wickets@32 is a more than decent test match bowler.

Lyon ain't shane warne but he is clearly our best test spinner and shouldn't have been left out for doherty,agar and now possibly o keefe.

p.s. I know you have inside info so what you're saying is a worry, it was boof and marsh that dumped lyon in england but i assume it's our new head selector and not boof that doesn't rate lyon?

Last edited:
This is mirroring the India series last year too much. Maxwell around the squad and an all rounder who isn't ready for Test cricket (Henriques/Marsh).

We don't need either in the team. It really isn't a great position that we may have to dump Hughes in the middle order where he struggled with and ultimately fell out of form. Then again, it's not like SMarsh or Lynn could be called upon...

This is mirroring the India series last year too much. Maxwell around the squad and an all rounder who isn't ready for Test cricket (Henriques/Marsh).

We don't need either in the team. It really isn't a great position that we may have to dump Hughes in the middle order where he struggled with and ultimately fell out of form. Then again, it's not like SMarsh or Lynn could be called upon...

Marsh is injured. Otherwise he'd probably be in the team for the first test

Marsh is injured. Otherwise he'd probably be in the team for the first test

That's why I said he (and Lynn) can't be called up due to injury. Shortage of batsmen is becoming apparent, even when Marsh is so high up the list and attention being diverted away from the fact that Doolan may not last.

Who are you thinking?
cosgrove1.jpg

It's time!

Warner
Rogers
Doolan
Watson
Smith
Marsh / Maxwell
Haddin (c)
Johnson
Starc
Siddle
Lyon / O'Keefe

That's what they'll go with.
There's a fair case for moving Smith up the order if Clarke is out. I'd be very nervous with the spinners likely to be on early- even with no Ajmal.
If Watson is not a guarantee to bowl, have you heard anything on whether they will play him as a batsman only?
No bowl, no play for Watto.

There's a fair case for moving Smith up the order if Clarke is out. I'd be very nervous with the spinners likely to be on early- even with no Ajmal.

No bowl, no play for Watto.

The question nobody wants to have to answer- on a turner who do you back at number 3 - Watson, Hughes or Doolan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back