Box Hill gets approval for McEvoy

Remove this Banner Ad

2 points:

McEvoy is currently 3rd choice behind Ceglar and Hale and has been for some time. He was already playing for Box Hill. If not selected in this match, he would not have played anywhere this week. FWIW, Lowden would be one of the better ruckmen in the VFL.

I'm stating that the rule as written has an undesired outcome - it's designed to avoid teams 'loading' their reserves, but makes no allowance for players that are there on (lack of) merit, if their senior side wins the qualifying final.

As simple as considering Qualifying winners are still part of finals would solve the issue. (But create another of potential 'loading' - simple solution that the 22 who played in previous week cannot be dropped.

2 points:

McEvoy is currently 3rd choice behind Ceglar and Hale and has been for some time. He was already playing for Box Hill. If not selected in this match, he would not have played anywhere this week. FWIW, Lowden would be one of the better ruckmen in the VFL.

I'm stating that the rule as written has an undesired outcome - it's designed to avoid teams 'loading' their reserves, but makes no allowance for players that are there on (lack of) merit, if their senior side wins the qualifying final.

As simple as considering Qualifying winners are still part of finals would solve the issue. (But create another of potential 'loading' - simple solution that the 22 who played in previous week cannot be dropped.
Why didn't they play Lowden then? Because it suited Box Hill and Hawthorn to play McEvoy. Ceglar and Hale were never going to be played.
Its not so much your club that is at fault here-its the administrators of the comp and they got this one wrong. Simple as that.
Think we have done enough on this. Thanks for the chat.

Why didn't they play Lowden then? Because it suited Box Hill and Hawthorn to play McEvoy. Ceglar and Hale were never going to be played.
Its not so much your club that is at fault here-its the administrators of the comp and they got this one wrong. Simple as that.
Think we have done enough on this. Thanks for the chat.

Lowden did play, kicked four (?) goals, and spent plenty of time in the ruck. Similar to Hale for Hawthorn. McEvoy can't play forward effectively, so has to play in the ruck. (It's quite possibly the main reason he was dropped actually).

Appreciate the interaction.

What would be the reaction, if the hawks wanted to give C Rioli a run at Box Hill this week in an attempt to get him fit for the AFL GF, if they beat the Power?

Hawthorn are playing, so we can pick anyone - shoe, suckling, rioli and anderson could all come back in.

As a hawthorn fan who also follows box hill due to the relationship only, I would think this is disrespectful to the guys that got us that far. Im sure many would feel the same way.

What would be the reaction, if the hawks wanted to give C Rioli a run at Box Hill this week in an attempt to get him fit for the AFL GF, if they beat the Power?

Pretty sure Cyril is eligible for the VFL seeing as though the Hawks AFL team is playing so no problem with it (as opposed to McEvoy). Big question is would the hawks consider it? Would it be fair if the hawks "told" Box Hill how to play him and for how long? What if the Hawks only wanted him to play him for a half which would potentially disadvantage BH in such a big game? That's the comprising often needed in an alignment arrangement. Whose interests has priority and who would have the final say?

You did so well up until this point, but....

McEvoy was already outside the 22, and has played the last month at Box Hill. He's likely only injury cover. It wasn't to do with Hawthorn at all.

Should Williamstown have been forced to select only players with >6 games? If not, why penalise Box Hill?

As per my first post, it's the rule itself is wrong, which is why the overrule was (IMO correctly) made.
The difference is that Williamstown don't have any AFL listed players. The rule is in place to level the playing field somewhat, and if AFL Victoria decides that they can scrap it whenever they want it becomes unfair on the stand alone clubs who already do it tough as it is.

Hawthorn are playing, so we can pick anyone - shoe, suckling, rioli and anderson could all come back in.

As a hawthorn fan who also follows box hill due to the relationship only, I would think this is disrespectful to the guys that got us that far. Im sure many would feel the same way.

Well as a Hawthorn fan, now Rioli has been picked by Box Hill, what are your thoughts on the disrespect shown by the club?

Well as a Hawthorn fan, now Rioli has been picked by Box Hill, what are your thoughts on the disrespect shown by the club?

There will be a box-hill player who played >half the season miss out on a potential premiership, for someone who's never played for the team before. It's possible Rioli's only VFL game in his career will be a premiership.

I have mixed feelings, as a football lover, ecstatic that Rioli is back on the field; as Hawthorn fan optimistic of a GF Rioli return; as a Box Hill interested observer, I feel for the bloke dropped.

It's hard to argue a half-fit Rioli doesn't improve the side though.

There will be a box-hill player who played >half the season miss out on a potential premiership, for someone who's never played for the team before. It's possible Rioli's only VFL game in his career will be a premiership.

I have mixed feelings, as a football lover, ecstatic that Rioli is back on the field; as Hawthorn fan optimistic of a GF Rioli return; as a Box Hill interested observer, I feel for the bloke dropped.

It's hard to argue a half-fit Rioli doesn't improve the side though.

The risk of playing a player coming back from such a injury in such an important match, its the GF surely shouldnt be done. Do morals have any part in the decision, it would appear not.

The big issue here is not that Rioli will help Box Hill, but it is being done to ensure Hawthorn have the best shot at the premiership, and Box Hill will give them that tool to allow Rioli match practise and hope he comes through unscathed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to finals qualification?

Assuming they do it the way the WAFL's always done it, finals qualification only comes into it when the AFL side isn't playing, otherwise it's the same as any other week ie the blokes not picked in the senior 22 play ressies

Pretty sure Cyril is eligible for the VFL seeing as though the Hawks AFL team is playing so no problem with it (as opposed to McEvoy). Big question is would the hawks consider it? Would it be fair if the hawks "told" Box Hill how to play him and for how long? What if the Hawks only wanted him to play him for a half which would potentially disadvantage BH in such a big game? That's the comprising often needed in an alignment arrangement. Whose interests has priority and who would have the final say?

Given the Hawks withdrew McEvoy and Sewell and held their own vested interest way above Box Hill's, time for Box Hill to tell the Hawks to bugger off, and stand alone. What a terrible insult for a great club like Box Hill, bring back the Mustangs. Over the moon for the Dogs, lots of sympathy for the Mustangs and lots of boos for the Hawks.

Given the Hawks withdrew McEvoy and Sewell and held their own vested interest way above Box Hill's, time for Box Hill to tell the Hawks to bugger off, and stand alone. What a terrible insult for a great club like Box Hill, bring back the Mustangs. Over the moon for the Dogs, lots of sympathy for the Mustangs and lots of boos for the Hawks.

Yep, Cyril not being able to go on in the last quarter really cost the Hawks, and ultimately it's not Hawthorn that suffers from that but Box Hill. That said, I can't see the alignment ending any time soon, it's been one of the happiest in the VFL.

Yep, Cyril not being able to go on in the last quarter really cost the Hawks, and ultimately it's not Hawthorn that suffers from that but Box Hill. That said, I can't see the alignment ending any time soon, it's been one of the happiest in the VFL.

Maybe its been happy and convenient, but possibly cost BH a flag today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back