Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Daryle Lamonica's passion for Raiders, football still runs deep

By Marek Warszawski

The Fresno Bee
September 11, 2014

Fresno native and former Oakland Raiders quarterback Daryle Lamonica talks about the game today.

Daryle Lamonica and Derek Carr have met once. Back in July, when the Carr brothers were holding one of their football clinics at Clovis West High.

Lamonica lives across the street, so he walked over and introduced himself. The Oakland Raiders quarterback of the past (1967-74) shook hands with the Raiders quarterback of the present (2014-?), they chatted briefly and Lamonica watched Carr throw.

"I like everything about him," the 73-year-old Lamonica says.

"I like everything I see. He loves the game. He's a student of the game. He has the respect of the guys in the huddle -- that's obvious. I just hope we bring him along slow enough to where major injury doesn't shorten his career."

Lamonica speaks from experience, from a time when NFL quarterbacks served apprenticeships. Before being traded to the Raiders, the Fresno native spent the first four years of his pro career as a backup on a winning team in Buffalo. (The deal included a veteran quarterback named Tom Flores, who just happened to be from Sanger.)

During his first season in Oakland, Lamonica led the Raiders to a 13-1 regular-season record and an appearance in Super Bowl II against Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers.

The Raiders in those days were known for the vertical passing game espoused by Al Davis, their legendary owner. Lamonica became known as "The Mad Bomber," a nickname given to him by Howard Cosell for his long touchdown passes.

"In pro football, all I'm trying to do is make eight or nine big plays per game -- that's all I'm trying to do," Lamonica says as we sit at his kitchen table.

"Trying to get touchdowns if I can or a combination of touchdowns and field goals. The rest of the time I'm utilizing as much time off the clock as possible. That's football in its simplest form."

Lamonica hasn't taken a snap in four decades but can see the question coming like a blitzing safety.

Did he watch Carr's NFL debut against the Jets? The one where, according to Pro Football Focus, 17 of the rookie's 20 pass completions were within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

That's a far cry from the Raiders of old.

"We threw a lot of short passes," Lamonica nods. "At one point there was something like seven complete passes in a row and we didn't get any yardage. Gotta work on the vertical game. We have to throw the ball down the field. That was Al Davis' philosophy.

"I attacked early," he continues, nudging me from across the table. "Because I wanted that corner worried about going deep. Even if it goes incomplete, he's thinking, 'Wow, I almost got beat.' So he starts playing looser, and I beat him with hooks and comebacks.

"I'd love to get in Carr's hip pocket, just to walk him through that."

Lamonica never became a coach after his playing days. Being close to his wife of 46 years, Mary, and their son Brandon was more important.

That decision isn't one Lamonica regrets. Still, it left him overflowing with football knowledge and no spigot.

"It's too bad he didn't coach," Mary Lamonica says. "I know why he didn't, but he would've been a great coach -- especially a quarterbacks coach."

Then as now, a big chunk of Lamonica's time is spent fishing and hunting. He grew up on 20 acres of peach trees and grapevines on the corner of Herndon Avenue and Fresno Street when they were both dusty two-lane roads (imagine that?) and was seldom indoors.

Though he no longer fishes tournaments, Lamonica is still on the water three or four times a week. He pours and molds his own worms ("I put coffee grinds in my hot plastic and the fish just eat it up") and proudly shows off "his baby," a gleaming bass boat covered and garaged.

Lamonica bagged a limit of birds during the recent dove opener (and the following day, too) and is looking forward to his annual fall bow hunting trip to Ohio.

"Just being outside, being out in the elements, that's how I unwind," he says. "I love seeing the sun come up."

Those twin passions -- football and the outdoors -- collide in Lamonica's living room, where trophies, paintings and framed photographs and posters compete for wall space with more than a dozen head mounts. The family room, where he watches football, seems empty by comparison. It contains only two head mounts and a large metal Raiders insignia given to him by a fan.

Twelve seasons in pro football left Lamonica with an artificial knee and hip, both on his left side. Unlike so many players of his era, he says he doesn't suffer ill effects from concussions.

Lamonica is happy for Carr and proud to have another quarterback with Valley roots (joining himself, Flores and Fresno-born Carson Palmer) on the Raiders family tree.

You get the feeling, though, that he'd like to do more than just watch.

"One thing I learned early was you block your fullback and you block your tight end, go maximum protection, and throw to your outside receivers," he says. "If we use those extra blockers and still can't stop the rush we're in deep, deep trouble.

"I'd just love to be in that coaches' booth and just listen, and just hear how Carr's handling it."

Lamonica is getting excited now. His green eyes flash. He raises his voice and starts gesturing with his hands.

"I'd love to sit down with Carr right now and ask him, 'What are they teaching you? How are they teaching you?' I've been invited to come up and do that. I haven't, but I should."

The booming, impassioned tone suddenly softens.

"Because I spent my whole life around football, and I love it. It's part of me."

Raiders fans, Antonio Smith's 'Ninja Assassin' an ideal match

By Jerry McDonald
jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 09/13/2014 11:57:41 AM PDT

ALAMEDA -- "Ninja Assassin,'' meet the Black Hole.

If ever a fan base and a player seemed to be a perfect match, it would be the Raiders defensive tackle Antonio Smith and the most infamous partisans in the NFL.

Smith came out of the tunnel each week as a member of the Houston Texans wearing his "Ninja Assassin'' mask and had a special dance for sacks which included a simulated "slash of death'' and the throwing of "Ninja stars.''

"I'm looking forward to bringing him out,'' Smith said of his alter ego and Sunday's regular-season home opener against his former team at O.co Coliseum.

Smith, 32, was a locker room mainstay in Houston because he was positive and upbeat, full of nonsense and at the same time serious enough about football to serve as mentors to young defensive linemen including defensive end J.J. Watt.

"He's a character to say the least,'' Watt told Bay Area reporters by conference call. "He's a great friend, a loyal teammate, a lot of fun to be around. He's a guy that no matter what the situation, he can always put a smile on your face.''

In the aftermath of a 19-14 season-opening loss to the New York Jets, Smith remained relentlessly positive, and his presence at training camp even while rounding into shape following sports hernia surgery kept everybody loose.

"Love having that guy around,'' safety Charles Woodson said. "Not only can he play, but in the locker room, he's a bright spot. He keeps everybody light. He's a funny dude. He's as quick as anybody coming off that ball and I can't wait to see that celebration after a sack.''
Right tackle Khalif Barnes, who has long been the locker room court jester, has found a kindred spirit.

"Antonio's my kind of guy in case you haven't noticed,'' Barnes said. "Kind of a joker. We've got two of us on the team now. I played against him a few times on the Texans and he's a professional, but he doesn't play the game tense. This is the greatest job in the world, so you've got to have fun when you're doing it.''

After playing in Arizona for five seasons, Smith signed with Houston as a free agent in 2009 and played defensive end in a 3-4 defense, picking up 27.5 sacks in a system where the primary rushers are outside linebackers.

Despite 14 straight losses last season after a 2-0 start for a team with Super Bowl dreams, Smith kept his spirits high with the Texans.

"It was tested, but I just can't help being me,'' Smith said. "It's who I am all the time. Even when things were bad, it always squeaked out. Even when you want to come to work with a frown on your face and act all mean -- because when you get to losing, everybody takes it a different way -- I still kind of kept it light.''

With the Raiders, Smith has moved is a three-technique tackle in a 4-3 defense. In a game where the defensive front had its difficulties against the New York Jets, Smith was solid against both the run and pass.

Defensive coordinator Jason Tarver said Smith may have the fastest "get-off'' of any of the Raiders linemen.

"Antonio Smith brings a presence to the defense,'' Tarver said. "He had tackles for loss, he pushed the pocket.''

Smith, who has occasionally dubbed himself "Tonestradamus'' and predicted the future, shifted into a Star Wars mode when asked about facing his former teammates.

"Masters always worry about the progress of their young Paduwans,'' Smith said. "I'm looking forward to seeing if they've reached master-hood since I was there.''

You can tell Lamonica blames the coaches for that putrid offensive game-plan vs Jets.

"I'd love to sit down with Carr right now and ask him, 'What are they teaching you? How are they teaching you?' I've been invited to come up and do that. I haven't, but I should."

"One thing I learned early was you block your fullback and you block your tight end, go maximum protection, and throw to your outside receivers," he says. "If we use those extra blockers and still can't stop the rush we're in deep, deep trouble.

"I'd just love to be in that coaches' booth and just listen, and just hear how Carr's handling it."

Did he watch Carr's NFL debut against the Jets? The one where, according to Pro Football Focus, 17 of the rookie's 20 pass completions were within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. That's a far cry from the Raiders of old.

"We threw a lot of short passes," Lamonica nods. "At one point there was something like seven complete passes in a row and we didn't get any yardage. Gotta work on the vertical game. We have to throw the ball down the field. That was Al Davis' philosophy.

"I attacked early," he continues, nudging me from across the table. "Because I wanted that corner worried about going deep. Even if it goes incomplete, he's thinking, 'Wow, I almost got beat.' So he starts playing looser, and I beat him with hooks and comebacks.

Texans bring back memories for Raiders' Derek Carr

By Daniel Brown and Jerry McDonald
Posted: 09/12/2014 03:02:57 PM PDT

Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (4) warms up before the start of their preseason NFL game against the Seattle Seahawks at O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif., on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014. (Doug Duran/Bay Area News Group) ( Doug Duran )

BAKERSFIELD -- In a way, Raiders rookie quarterback Derek Carr will be facing his old team Sunday in Oakland.

Technically, it was his brother, David, who suited up for the Houston Texans from 2002-06. But little Derek got his first taste of the NFL in those days, both on the field and off. And it's when he started making a name for himself.

"I've got to be honest, my time in Houston was awesome,'" Derek said.

Derek attended practices, got to know the players and even owner Bob McNair through his brother. He remembers playing catch with Toro, the Texans' mascot. Houston wide receiver Andre Johnson even attended some of Derek's football games at First Colony Middle School in Sugarland, where the Carr family had relocated when David got drafted.

Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr (4) throws a pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the New York Jets Sunday, Sept. 7, 2014, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) ( Seth Wenig )

Rodger Carr, the quarterbacks' father, recalled the day at a Texans practice when offensive coordinator Chris Palmer invited Derek -- who was still in junior high school -- to participate in a contest among the other Texans quarterbacks.

The challenge was to throw a fade pass into the back corner of the end zone and have the ball drop into a trash can. Miss the throw, and you're eliminated. The last man standing wins.

Derek was allowed to throw a smaller ball, not the regulation size, but he kept pace alongside his brother, as well as backup quarterbacks Tony Banks and Dave Ragone.

Pretty soon, the competition was whittled down to David and Derek. Palmer, having seen the way the little squirt was throwing with accuracy and touch, looked at big brother and quipped: "Maybe we drafted the wrong Carr."

David, the No. 1 overall pick, was not amused, his father recalled. Rodger said David turned to Derek and murmured: "If you beat me, you will never come to another practice."

David won. But to this day his parents aren't sure whether the fix was in. "Derek might have let him win out of fear for his life," Sheryl Carr, the boys' mother, said with a laugh.

But such tension was a rarity among the siblings. Most of the time, David was happy to take Derek along for the ride, which meant the little brother has already seen what it looks like for a highly drafted quarterback trying to live up to expectations.

Their relationship helps explain how Derek Carr, a second-round pick, became the first rookie in Raiders history to start a Week 1 game at quarterback. He completed 20 of 32 passes for 151 yards and two TDs in a 19-14 road loss to the New York Jets.

Derek Carr was groomed for such a moment. When the Texans took his big brother with the No. 1 overall pick in 2002, David insisted the whole family follow him to Houston. On the days when David brought home a laptop loaded with Texans plays, Derek sat by his side until he understood the nuances of every play.

"They would sit on the couch and go over the plays," Sheryl said during a visit to the family home last week. "Derek just picked him crazy. He just loved it."

Rodger remembers sitting with Derek as the Texans faced the Jacksonville Jaguars early in David's career. It was a luxury suite, but if felt more like they were in the coaches' booth.

"He said, 'Dad, watch! The safety is coming down. They're rotating defenders. Dave said if they do this, then he's going throw it over there,'" the father recalled.

"And that's exactly how the play went. And I'm like, 'What the heck? You're 12 years old, dude. Twelve-year-olds are supposed to watch the games and eat hot dogs.' "

Ultimately, David's career yielded some harder lessons. In 2002, he was sacked 76 times, the most in NFL history. Two seasons later, he was sacked 68 times, third most in NFL history.

"I grew up a Cowboy and a Raider fan," Derek said. "I was like, I never saw those quarterbacks get hit that much. That's what I thought as a kid. Being older, going back and watching his games, I understand what was going on now."

David, knowing how rocky the road can be, is trying to point Derek toward a smoother path. He mentored his brother's journey from Fresno State through the Senior Bowl, the NFL combine and the draft process.

Now, Rodger and Sheryl Carr appreciate that another former Texans quarterback has been so willing to adopt their son into the Raiders family. Matt Schaub was expected to be the starter before Derek beat him out in training camp.

Talk about coming full circle. David, who could not be reached for this story, was released by the Texans when they acquired Schaub from the Atlanta Falcons in 2006.

"It's something to talk about, but to Matt and I, and to David, it doesn't mean anything," Derek said. "I don't mean that in a bad way. It just doesn't mean anything to us. All we care about is now."

Schaub is providing the sort of veteran help that the Carrs say David never got while in Houston.

"I can't thank him enough because he's helped me so much," Derek said.

"I just can't say enough about Schaub," Rodger said. "I talked to him at training camp and said, 'I hope my son's not bothering you too much because he's one of those guys who wants to know everything.'

"He said, 'Oh, no, Mr. Carr. I love him. He's got a lot of questions, but that's what I'm here for.' "

Derek said any time spent being nostalgic about facing the Texans will be gone before kickoff.

"These guys are trying to rip my head off," Derek said. "I'm not thinking about being a kid watching those games. ... My goal is to come out, compete and try to beat them."

Well today was embarrassing. Going back to my previous post a few days ago regarding a "watch this space" type moment, here it is:

I was told earlier in the week by multiple people close to the situation that it was highly likely that if the Raiders were blown out by Houston, that Dennis Allen would be fired BEFORE the bye week. Also take note that should this eventuate, this will have been Mark Davis' call. Interesting considering that Mark emphasised that GM Reggie McKenzie would have the power to hire and fire the coach.

Still trying to get an update after today's proceedings, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a press conference scheduled some time in the next day or two announcing a coaching change. Expect Tony Sparano to be named Interim HC if this goes down.

Any pre season optimism I had (always tempered by our recent history) has now evaporated. Sigh.

What about Carr? I was impressed. Scrambled well, seemed to have awareness in the pocket and threw it away when he had to. Yeah the interception was a poor throw and he felt the pressure from Swearinger blitzing on the edge, but got to be happy with his game.

McFadden may have finished with just 12 carries for 30+ yards, but some of his running was fearless, really hit the defenders hard. Ran over one of our DBs like a truck. A terrific block as well.

Thompson: How much longer has Raiders' Dennis Allen got?

By Marcus Thompson II
Bay Area News Group
Posted: 09/14/2014 04:42:05 PM PDT

OAKLAND -- This won't be a fire Dennis Allen request. No need to kick a man while he's down.

Instead, let's pose a question: After Sunday's performance, what's the reason to keep him?

The Raiders were humiliated in their home opener 30-14. Fans rained down boos as the Houston Texans made the home team look like a Division II foe. This was the exact kind of game owner Mark Davis told this paper "can't happen anymore" -- those performances where you feel like the Raiders "didn't show up."

Another week has gone by and the Raiders have failed to show a glimmer of hope that suggests the future is brighter. Instead, they took it a step further backward by regressing.

Oakland Raiders head coach Dennis Allen watches from the sidelines in the second quarter of their NFL game against the Houston Texans at O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 14, 2014. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group) ( JANE TYSKA )

"The mistakes are correctable," said Charles Woodson, who is already frustrated beyond pretense and company lines. "But we said that last week. How long do we get to say mistakes are correctable before we get to a point where we realize they are not (being corrected)? I don't know. Are they correctable? Yeah. But when do they get corrected?"

This is worse than starting the season 0-2. This is going into Week 3 -- at New England, no less -- with nothing to hang their hat on. The bye week was a natural spot to make a change if the Raiders got off to a bad start. Now? Davis would be showing mercy if offices weren't cleaned out before "Dancing with the Stars" premieres Monday night.

The defense, where the Raiders spent the large chunk of their $60 million shopping spree, was completely outclassed by Houston. The offense got another decent start from rookie quarterback Derek Carr yet still struggled to move the ball and didn't score until the game was out of reach.

Whenever they did get movement, they squandered it with turnovers. James Jones fumbled twice -- on the same play.

The Raiders took their futility to a new level of awe Sunday. It's the how they are losing that is the worst indictment on this regime. The absence of necessary intangibles is befuddling.

Where is the toughness? Where is the discipline? Where is the focus? Isn't that what all the veteran presence and Super Bowl experience was supposed to bring?

"I'm really embarrassed," Woodson said. "When I came into the stadium today on the bus I saw all the fans there. Everybody's optimistic. It's our first home game. They're excited to see their Raiders and ... what was that we put out there?

"That's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for this team. I'm embarrassed for these fans. And the thing about it is, I'm part of it. I don't know what we need to do as a team going forward. I know something is going to have to be done."

Something is not clicking on the field, in the locker room. Those fingers point first to the coach.

The not-enough-time-to-bring-change reason no longer holds water. Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie spent the offseason restocking the Raiders cupboard, so these are his players that he chose.

And the no-other-options reason doesn't fly. After all, Tony Sparano is on the staff. He turned the Miami Dolphins from a one-win team to a playoff team in one season; he qualifies to be an interim coach.

No one was expecting the Raiders to run the table. Starting 0-2 was always a realistic possibility. But they've been dominated the first two games.

In the opener at the New York Jets, they stayed in the game partly because the Jets couldn't get out of their own way. Still, the Raiders were a couple of key plays away from stealing the win. That was a glimmer of something.

How'd they capitalize on that? By playing poorly enough to eradicate what little positive remained.

These weren't the Denver Broncos the Raiders were walloped by Sunday. These were the same Texans who got their first win in a calendar year last week. This was a team led by a rookie coach in Bill O'Brien, with a run-of-the-mill quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick, and past-their-prime stars like Andre Johnson and Arian Foster.

The Houston Texans may be good enough to beat the Raiders, but they aren't dominate-you-in-your-own-house good.

An average team makes a game of it. A bad team puts up a fight. The Raiders crumbled like a stale pound cake.

The reasons to change the coach are plenty. But those have been there for two years now. The real problem is finding the reasons for Allen to stay.

It would be one thing if he got his players to max out. They don't.

It would be defendable if he had the ear of the veterans, and canning their coach would cause a locker room revolt. It won't.

It would be worth it to keep him if he were needed to develop the young talent. But of the young players on the roster who matter most, most of them -- Carr, lineman Gabe Jackson, tight end Mychal Rivera -- aren't being mentored by Allen anyway. That's not his side of the ball.

So then what are the reasons to keep Allen? No good ones remain.

"We need change," Allen said when asked why he seemed upset. "We're a better football team than we put out on the field today."

More than half a dozen so called "name" players on the Raiders team are either apathetic about the coaching situation (i.e. flat out don't care), or have an issue with the coaching going on right now.

The leaders of the team met with Coach Allen yesterday to discuss the poor on field performance. Haven't heard as yet how that meeting went, but I can't imagine that much good would come of it. DA is trying to buy himself some more time, but it's not going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Dubow ✔ @JoshDubowAP
#Raiders Reece averages 123.4 yards from scrimmage in 5 career starts at tailback. Only McCoy, Charles and Gordon topped that last year

Sigh....

Reece and Murray at HB. Dmac and MJD to the glue factory. Olawale at FB. Sign LMJ before the Dolphins do for a little depth and to get Murray off of KR duty.

DA is under the impression that the lineup is set like a video game.

Why can't he see these things?

New England defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, talking to reporters this week, described Reece as “a multiple player for them, can run in the backfield and split out in different formations. He’ll certainly be a target for them that (Derek) Carr has relied on quite a bit.’’
Patriots coach Bill Belichick called Reece a “dilemma’’ in that he’s too quick and fast for most linebackers and bigger and stronger than most safeties.
Through two games, it seems the only people who can keep Reece under wraps are the Raiders.
When the Raiders visit the Patriots Sunday at Gillette Stadium, the two-time Pro Bowl fullback goes into the game with one carry for zero yards and three receptions for 12 yards.

Murray and Reece have to be given the ball. Time to bring back Hue. I'm pissed off. We needed to win those 2 games.

Khalil Mack hopes to help Raiders' struggles on run defense
September, 18, 2014
Sep 18
11:10
PM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Khalil Mack prides himself on stopping the run.

While the No. 5 overall draft pick is known for his ability as a pass-rusher, Mack loves getting dirty and stopping the run. It kills him that the 0-2 Oakland Raiders have struggled with their run defense. The Raiders have allowed an NFL-high 400 yards on the ground in two games.

Backing up what coach Dennis Allen has said, Mack said halting the problems against the run has been a major emphasis this week as the Raiders prepare to play the New England Patriots on the road on Sunday.

“We have to get better, I have to get better,” Mack said. “It’s just a mentality. You have to dig and stop the run. Just have to get better at it. Once we fix that, everything will get better.”

In other Raiders’ notes:

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson is thrilled with the play of third-round pick Gabe Jackson at left guard. Jackson has been mauling defenders in the early season.

“I think he’s doing fantastic,” Olson said. “He’s got great practice habits, really works his craft and works his technique.”

The Raiders are working to get newly signed receiver Vincent Brown up to speed. He could be in the rotation as soon as this week. Brown was a surprise cut in San Diego this summer.

“We’ve only had a chance to see him two days, but he looks like he’s got some quickness at the line of scrimmage and obviously, he’s played and he’s been productive when he has played,” Olson said. “So we’ll continue to kind of get him up to speed as quickly as we can. I’ve seen some good things here in the last two days.”

Mack is running out of linebackers to help him out. Roach still doubtful and Sio not at practice.

Quite a damning indictment really......

------

Former Oakland Raiders can pinpoint downfall: Hue Jackson's dismissal

By Steve Corkran
scorkran@bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 09/18/2014 05:10:18 PM PDT

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Some of the last Raiders to taste even a modicum of success now are happily plying their trade in the desert with the first place and undefeated Arizona Cardinals.

As they prepare to play the 49ers on Sunday, Carson Palmer, Jared Veldheer and Matt Shaughnessy are far away from the disaster they believe began with the dismissal of Hue Jackson as coach.

"Guys loved playing for Hue," Palmer said. "Hue was a great head coach. Unfortunately, they decided that it was time for him to go, and a number of our guys that had been there awhile. Any of our guys that were making above league minimum, it was time to cut them."

The Cardinals went 10-6 last season and came within a win of making the playoffs. They are 2-0 this season.

Arizona Cardinals' starting quarterback Carson Palmer (3) throws against the San Francisco 49ers in the second quarter at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, Calif., on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group) ( Nhat V. Meyer )

The former Raiders said they felt as if the Raiders were building toward something special, too, before general manager Reggie McKenzie opted for a complete overhaul, what owner Mark Davis later termed a "deconstruction."

Palmer and Shaughnessy said the decision to fire Jackson after he guided the Raiders to an 8-8 record in 2011 set back the franchise. The Raiders are 8-26 since Jackson exited, including an 0-2 mark this season.

"As soon as that season ended, everything changed," Shaughnessy said of 2011.

Mark Davis, who replaced his father Al after he passed away in the middle of the 2011 season, hired McKenzie to run football operations. McKenzie, in turn, fired Jackson and hired Dennis Allen to be the coach.
"I felt like we were on the verge with Tom Cable as coach," Shaughnessy said. "He put together two 8-8 seasons."

Al Davis fired Cable and hired Jackson, Cable's offensive coordinator. Jackson got the Raiders within a game of making the playoffs in his lone year as coach.

"As for Hue, he just needed another year," Shaughnessy said. "Isn't that the Raiders, though?"

McKenzie also took a ton of heat for trading away Palmer and letting Veldheer get away in free agency.

The Raiders traded Palmer to the Cardinals in 2013 for a swap of picks in the 2013 draft -- the Raiders got a sixth-rounder in exchange for a seventh -- and a seventh-rounder in 2014.

That's a far cry from the first- and second-round picks the Raiders sent to the Cincinnati Bengals in a midseason trade for Palmer in 2011. In fairness, the Raiders had just lost starter Jason Campbell to a season-ending injury, and they had a realistic shot at making the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

When the Raiders moved him, Palmer was fresh from a season in which he passed for 4,018 yards and 22 touchdowns.

"It was just crazy," Palmer said of the climate in Oakland during that period. "It was such a weird time. Nobody knew what was going on. Nobody knew who was going, who was staying."

They soon found out, one by one, starting with Jackson. Palmer lasted one more season.

The Raiders' search for a replacement for Palmer hasn't yielded much fruit. Terrelle Pryor, Matt Flynn, Matt McGloin and Derek Carr have started the 18 games since Palmer departed.

Flynn, whom the Raiders acquired via trade, got released early last season after one start. Pryor got replaced by McGloin nine games into the 2013 season and then got traded to the Seahawks this past offseason.

McKenzie traded for veteran Matt Schaub in the offseason, only for second-round draft pick Carr to beat him out in training camp.

Veldheer survived one more season than Palmer before he, too, got caught up in McKenzie's massive overhaul.

Veldheer, a third-round draft pick in 2010, expressed his desire to re-sign with the Raiders. McKenzie and Allen returned the love. Veldheer had no reason to think that he wouldn't be a Raider for life.

"Yeah, I thought that every day that I was in California," Veldheer said.

Until his mail started arriving in Arizona in mid March.

Veldheer was considered the top offensive tackle in free agency, yet McKenzie's interest never got beyond words of affection, according to Veldheer.

"The whole time, the understanding was that something was going to happen, there was something that was going to be done," Veldheer said. "But then nothing ended up happening. There wasn't any back and forth that kind of let me know where I stood."

In the meantime, the Raiders signed Rams' free agent Rodger Saffold, but then nixed the deal after Saffold didn't pass a physical. Saffold returned to St. Louis and has been a starter at guard.

The Cardinals pounced on Veldheer with a long-term contract that includes $17 million guaranteed. Before long, jettisoned Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly signed with the Cardinals, too.

Today, the Cardinals are 2-0, the Raiders 0-2 and faced with the prospect of another head coaching change if things don't turn around in a hurry.

Yet, none of the former Raiders take delight in seeing their former team mired in a prolonged morass.

"I loved being a Raider," Palmer said. "There's just something special about being a Raider that's unlike anything else.

"It's just unfortunate that it was terrible timing. There was so much going on, all the salary cap issues and issues from past contracts and all that. Unfortunately, it was just the wrong time to be there. It couldn't have been a worse time. But I loved it."

I don't understand the Reece love. The era of a fullback is over in the NFL. Sure, Reece is a big body in the backfield who has a speed mismatch when lined up on a linebacker, but that's it! He's no better than the running backs they already have so using him in that capacity is futile. In terms of getting him out in space, NFL defenses use the nickel and dime D's around 75% of the snaps in any given game. Against a DB, Reece is useless. So really, the only hope you have is getting him lined up on a linebacker in base D, which is around 25% of the time. Then you have to hope it's man coverage because if it's zone the D can roll it across to a DB to nullify him.

FWIW, his last two years (2012 and 2013) have actually been statistically better than the years he had under Hue Jackson. Love the guy and think he's a good player, but he's overrated by Raider fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back