Votes: 99 63.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both use the ball really well and always take the best option.

Who's better?

Burgoyne because of his ability to play back, outside mid, inside mid and forward

Burgoyne is more flexible. Which is handier in this day and age.

Both are players that I've always rated higher than most since somehow ball use is underrated in our game, which is just bizarre.

I think maybe Nicky Dal just because he spent more of his career as his his teams most tagged player than Burgoyne did.
Burgoyne was heavily tagged from 2005 untill he went to hawthorn

Burgoyne is more flexible. Which is handier in this day and age.

I think they are both very similar in this regard. It's what drew me to the comparison in the first place.

Especially their work off the backline.

I think Burgoyne is the better forward, Dal the better mid and probably have Burgoyne shading Dal off half back.

I truly can't decide who's the better player

I voted Burgoyne because Dal Santo just gets tagged out of too many important games over his career. Don't get me wrong, there's a reason he gets tagged its because he's a bloody dangerous player but still I think Burgoyne is better at winning his own ball and hence handles a tag better. In many ways tagging is often cause and effect - if tags work on you and you're a dangerous player you get tagged more often.

Also Burgoyne is incredibly versatile and i can't see how you can possibly say that Dal Santo matches up in that regard. Dal Santo is a mid that can float around in other positions and rack up touches - but i don't think you could say he can truly play as a forward or defender on quality opponents. Burgoyne i think could play any role outside of KP/Ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I truly can't decide who's the better player

This.

I've been a huge fan of both of these blokes for a long time and I'm stoked that one of them is now at my club and also rapt that I can still watch Burgoyne play at a ridiculously high level a decade after being an absolute star in Port Adelaide's premiership.

He was my favourite player to watch in the whole league back then....still right up there now.

Can't split them.

I'll go with Dal Santo. Both very classy players who would be in any club's top few most important players. Do to their respective sides, I think Burgoyne has an easier role and is given a bit more freedom. Put Dal Santo in the same role and I would expect his influence to be greater than Burgoyne's. I'm guessing most people would trade Burgoyne for Dal Santo without hesitation. Adelaide is crying out for one of these players and if Brodie Smith can have 80% of the career these guys have had I'll be very happy. So far so good...

Burgoyne is most versatile in his ability to play multiple roles at a high level, but Dal Santo is the classier more pure player that at their collective bests would have more influence then Burgoyne.

Burgoyne just.

Both great players, Burgoyne's speed inches him in front.

I'd have to say Dal. When he played for St Kilda he was my favorite player. So clean and always makes the right decision. Burgoyne is a star as well just I think Nick is better.

It was a matter of inches between those two, but I voted Burgoyne. I think Nicky Dal Dal is a swell player - surprisingly he had problems getting his hands to the ball for a season or two - but you can't question his ball use. I'm not sure about his hard inside game either, obviously he can get it in tight spaces but his ability to impact pushing forward is questionable. He's slotted into the backhalf at NM seamlessly though but overall I don't think he has the same massive ability to tear it open as Shaun can.

Amazing result in this Poll so far.

I can't put Dal Santo in the same space as Burgoyne, simply becuase he was always Bateman's bunny and has been shadowed far too easily.

Burgoyne is probably Hawthorn's greatest ever trade, and just makes the right decision or disposal all the time. He is absolutely phenomenal.

For a contending team - Burgoyne

For a team pushing to make finals or top 4 - Dal Santo

Burgoyne takes time off during games and due to previous injuries needs to be cared for alittle more than Dal Santo. That works when you have the depth to cover him.

Dal Santo will give you more week in week out.

Burgoyne though lifts to another level completely when it really matters.

Burgoyne is most versatile in his ability to play multiple roles at a high level, but Dal Santo is the classier more pure player that at their collective bests would have more influence then Burgoyne.

I can't really get this. Burgoyne's 'best' would be close to the best of any midfielder in the league. Better than Mitchell's and shading Hodge's in my opinion. I really don't think I could say the same for Dal Santo. As for classy, his nickname is 'Silk' for a reason, Burgoyne is the epitome of footballing class. There are a few ways you could approach the comparison but comparing 'bests' and 'class' is going to favour Burgoyne compared to the vast majority of other players in the league.

Back