Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got no idea. If he is I hope it's only after a legitimate search.

Honestly, unless the club blindsides me with a massive signing in a few days, I reckon the club is legitimately intending to now embark on a search for a new senior coach. I don't think they actually have their replacement in mind yet.

It would only be one of three IMO - Bassett, Goodwin or Dew. I cannot see anyone outside these 3.

I dont think we would be getting a current coach.

It would only be one of three IMO - Bassett, Goodwin or Dew. I cannot see anyone outside these 3.

I dont think we would be getting a current coach.

I think you posted literally eight times earlier in this thread that it "will be" Bassett - you even claimed to have some kind of source! :p

Was about to go to bed and just clicked on BigFooty for a glance only to see this news.
Completely shocked. Had to watch AFL360 to get some more information.
Seems that we will end up with another untried senior coach.
I wonder if Sando will go and hunt down Trigg (and others) and slap them because the Tippett saga has (probably) cost him his job.
We better get someone decent and I'm not convinced at this point in time that Goodwin or Bassett would qualify.
Interesting that the media seems to believe that this was player driven. Could the next AFC coach's appointment determine whether we keep Danger, Sloane & Tex?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Sando will come out and say what are his thoughts on the Crows board etc in the past 3 years (Mainly Trigg and Co.)

Should write a book......he would have some brilliant inside info about what really happened.

I'm not actually sure and I didn't google it but was Goodwin at the Dons during the "experamental phase"?

I'd hope the Crows board stay clear of him if so, Hird's win at all costs methods are not something you want infiltrating your club.

Sitting in Chopin airport in Warsaw; catching up on this thread before I board my flight home after two amazing weeks eating/drinking/sleeping my way around Poland with a gorgeous Polish girl.

Sucks to be going home, but this is positive news to cheer me up a bit :)

Well, the rumours seemed to indicate that he played the blame game too often with the players and they got a bit sick of it and told him that he needed to take a good hard look at himself and his assistants before he started on them again.

Plenty of people could enlighten us in this thread if they chose to (assuming they haven't already, still got forty odd pages to read); but apparently the above is accurate - after either the Richmond of Norf game, Sando apparently launched into the players massively and laid all of the blame squarely on them; and not in a good way.

Plenty of people could enlighten us in this thread if they chose to (assuming they haven't already, still got forty odd pages to read); but apparently the above is accurate - after either the Richmond of Norf game, Sando apparently launched into the players massively and laid all of the blame squarely on them; and not in a good way.

We missed the 8 by one game and we lost games to Demons, Blues, WC , Roos and Tigers, these should have been 60:40 games in our favour. To lose at home to the Demons was just absolute crap. Those 5 games shaped his destiny. He also had 5 chances to land in the 8 and he couldnt. By 5, I mean had he won any of the above games we would have enjoyed being pummeled in W1 of the finals against the Power.
(sarcasm)

Im envious, you must have read the first few pages thinking who is on crack on this forum. Whats even more worrying is that it was the Power posters that was the first on this thread to call it right that Sando would be sacked.

This is why I have sympathy for Sando.

Sando entered the AFC he had this to deal with

Sando hired September 2011
AFC loses Davis, Maric and Bock

Tippet leaves end of season and AFC gets no compensation
Draft sanctions and losing draft picks meant no new top talent drafted that year.
Crows end up 3rd and within a kick of a Grand Final

Taylor Walker injures knee against the Blues in R5
Draft sanctions and losing draft picks meant no new top talent drafted that year again.
Crows end up 11th - 2 games outside of the 8 - Lost 5 games under 2 goals.

Captain VB is out injured for the year in preseason
Assistant coach Dean Bailey dies before season starts and is not replaced
Tex struggles to come to terms with AFL footy at the start of his comeback.
Lost Douglas, Lynch, Otten, Thompson at various stages during the year with Danger playing injured as well.
Lost Vince for Crouch who plays only a handful of games in his first year.
Crows end up 10th - 1 game outside of the 8 - Lost 6 games under 2 goals.

Sando sacked September 17th 2014
he wasnt sacked because of his win/loss ratio, he was sacked for his poor game plan, poor player management and because the players all voiced their opinion that he was a poor coach. A good coach gets the best he can out of the players he has available, can you honestly say that you think sando got the most out of the players he had available?

can you honestly say that you think sando got the most out of the players he had available?

In 2012 he did when everything went right, there were events from that prelim onwards that conspired against him.

I would have given him one more year with a proper assistants at the helm. If you read though all the crap that happened to us since that ill fated 2012 prelim, it was always going to be challenge.

Probably what happened is that Danger, Tex, Sloane and Talia spilled the beans on Sando to Roo. Roo may have saved a massive player exodus had he stayed with Sando. I dont know Im just speculating.

In 2012 he did when everything went right, there were events from that prelim onwards that conspired against him.

I would have given him one more year with a proper assistants at the helm. If you read though all the crap that happened to us since that ill fated 2012 prelim, it was always going to be challenge.

Probably what happened is that Danger, Tex, Sloane and Talia spilled the beans on Sando to Roo. Roo may have saved a massive player exodus had he stayed with Sando. I dont know Im just speculating.
well whateley from AFL 360 was quite adamant it was the leadership group specifically that was behind the sacking. and assuming that's true theres no coming back from that for sando.

feel bad for Sando but this is a move that was screaming out to be made. you can onlu use stats so many times before they ring like hollow excuses and that 40 minute post season interview on 5AA was illuminating in how little substance there was to his coaching philosophies.

I suspect Sando was safe as long as Trigg was CEO - I assume the board felt Sando had to be cut some slack because of the handicaps the club had given him and that we would see out his contract even if we didn't necessarily believe he was capable of taking us to flag. But since Roo has come on board, the club is acting as brutally as he did on the field. We don't think he'll get the job done, fine let's can him and try someone else.

I assume the timing is to keep Goodwin at least in play before the Demons stitch him up - whether he's been promised the job or not time will tell.

Interesting that the club was already talking to O'Keefe about an assistant's role. Surely we wouldn't be doing that without the blessing of the new coach? And surely we wouldn't let prospective assistants assume they would be working for Sando if we knew we were going to sack him? Interesting times . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back