Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading all the posts since the rumo82 pages so far and most seem to think that the only coaches available are inexperienced coaches such as Goodwin, Dew or Bassett. Wasn't Ken Hinkley an inexperienced senior coach and look what he has done with Port. Goodwin and Bassett are former Crows, so maybe to get away from the "Boys Club"that everyone keeps talking about, why not Dew if no other candidates stick their hands up. Dew has had a very good coaching grounding with Sydney and is thought very highly by Roos. Was offered the Melbourne succession job but declined wanting more experience, what better experience than assistant coach at a club like Sydney and being exposed to the culture they and their players must strictly adhere to.
I wasn't sold on the idea of Dew but he has three things going for him. He's not an ex Crow. He was a hard arse as a player, reckon he'd bring something different to the mix as opposed to Sando who was seen as a nice guy. He's done a reasonable apprenticeship.

I really would prefer us not to get Goodwin at this stage. Apart from the fact that the ASADA thing is far from resolved, he showed incredibly poor judgement to be taking and chasing "the good stuff" from Dank. And what has he learned at Essendon? How to cut corners?

Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Sitting in Chopin airport in Warsaw; catching up on this thread before I board my flight home after two amazing weeks eating/drinking/sleeping my way around Poland with a gorgeous Polish girl.

Sucks to be going home, but this is positive news to cheer me up a bit :)

I thought you were strangely silent... Prost! (I assume that's Polish)

Tex Support

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Houston, UT Longhorns
He hinted (before I posted) that his interviews with players had a big role in this decision. Or at least that's what I thought.

This notion that it was largely player driven seems strong.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Cornsey says:
Opinion of Danger would have been crucial.
Easiest thing for club would have been to do nothing.
Rumours on Sando struggling started when roo came on board.
Had heard meeting between roo and snr players but just rumour.
Sando struggled to build relationships and respect.
Too much spin and statistics and excuses.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Cornsey says:
Critical of Danger would have been crucial.
Easiest thing for club would have been to do nothing.
Rumours on Sando struggling started when roo came on board.
Had heard meeting between roo and snr players but just rumour.
Sando struggled to build relationships and respect.
Too much spin and statistics and excuses.
The last bit is so right. How many times have we heard him refer to the scores kicked, the inside 50 count, contested ball etc..... only to lose every week.

The guy had an excuse for each loss and the supporters dont wanna hear that, we want actions. His ideas of us being a top 4 side and topping up recruits wouldn't go well either.

The people who actually know about the game and that excludes the clowns on AA in the mornings understand why this was done.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
So no Sando player fan fare at B&F

little to no player support on social media even if its wishing him all the best

we nearly made the 8 on talent alone

now a new coach has the,opportunity to bring that talent together as a team with,a clear plan

jaxx

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Seeing no-one else has summarised, this is what I heard Roo say on MMM...

Wouldn't say he was a good coach, just a good bloke.
Said if didn't act now, things could have gone from "bad to worse" and indicated AFC had been guilty of hanging on too long to coaches in the past.
Indicated managing modern day facets of coaching like staff, media etc one of his downfalls
Fagan not involved but kept up to date during interview process
Senior players were consulted as part of the review and their input contributed to the decision.
ADDED: Reiterated they don't have anyone lined up to replace and are confident (as was case with CEO) that the knowledge of the job being available will bring strong field of candidates
ADDED: Said potential next coach could currently be employed as an assistant or not employed.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I like some humility in a coach. The coaching staff own a loss as much as the players do and should be big enough to admit that. Sando blamed the players for every loss as far as I can recall. I may be wrong, but I don't recall him ever saying that he had to lift his game as well as the players lifting theirs.

TheMetricSystem

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seems to be throwing triggy under the bus a bit for previous extension.
Ppl like pembo need to know full story.
Players need to own their pay off the performances this year.
Roo will be shocked if the big 3 don't stay.
Trigg will be the easy target for the contract extension, perhaps a little unfair. Board must also explain why it was ratified.

ManInTheArena

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like some humility in a coach. The coaching staff own a loss as much as the players do and should be big enough to admit that. Sando blamed the players for every loss as far as I can recall. I may be wrong, but I don't recall him ever saying that he had to lift his game as well as the players lifting theirs.

Yeah he did say he and the coaching panel need to look at themselves and improve but that was earlier in the year.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So no Sando player fan fare at B&F

little to no player support on social media even if its wishing him all the best

we nearly made the 8 on talent alone

now a new coach has the,opportunity to bring that talent together as a team with,a clear plan
Senior players were VERY critical of him at the BnF

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
Dangerfield would be more likely to sign now. Sanderson had no allies in the playing group at the end.

This is a big surprise to me. Sandos game style, match day coaching and selection/position 'funnies' have always had question marks, but I would have thought his interpersonal relationships would have been his strong point. Previously it was obvious for at least 2 seasons (excepting Trigg) that the players had lost belief in Craig's way, but I did not see the same with Sando and the players. Something has turned really sour in the last 6 weeks or so and I suspect that when called before the headmaster, Sando had run out of 'petrol tickets' and his 'tank was empty' - he had nothing more to give and no answers or solutions.

But maybe this has been brewing for much of this season, which may explain why the club has/did not move on replacing Bailey?

noddy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 21, 2002
Land of the Big Red Cloud
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
/The Bays/Man U
If a coach does not have the respect of his playing group then he has only himself to blame.

Don't believe that Goodwin will be the right replacement, Bassett who could do a Clarkson or Dew going by what i have read about him anyway both stand out for me at this stage.

This is a big surprise to me. Sandos game style, match day coaching and selection/position 'funnies' have always had question marks, but I would have thought his interpersonal relationships would have been his strong point. Previously it was obvious for at least 2 seasons (excepting Trigg) that the players had lost belief in Craig's way, but I did not see the same with Sando and the players. Something has turned really sour in the last 6 weeks or so and I suspect that when called before the headmaster, Sando had run out of 'petrol tickets' and his 'tank was empty' - he had nothing more to give and no answers or solutions.

But maybe this has been brewing for much of this season, which may explain why the club has/did not move on replacing Bailey?
Yes, well we certainly saw what he was capable of on his own.

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
FMD ... Derwayne was on the money. But I guess if you keep throwing darts eventually you'll hit the dartboard.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n-as-crows-coach/story-fnia3m0h-1226970024313

Derwayne said:
THE clock is ticking for Adelaide Crows coach Brenton Sanderson.He has 12 months to prove his worth, and his time starts with Showdown XXXVII on Sunday.

Well, three actually.

Derwayne said:
If the Crows do not finish 2014 strongly and force their way into September, it would be back-to-back failed seasons, leaving 2015 as an all-in bet.

Coaching is a win-loss business. Sanderson may be contracted for 2016, but the Crows board would surely find it difficult to accept three missed Septembers in a row.

Coaching is also a perception business.Sanderson needs a perception changing moment.

His unique problem is that in South Australia he is measured in comparison to Port coach Ken Hinkley, who has put Sanderson on the ropes in their battle of profile, charisma, salesmanship and sparkle right now.

From a national perspective, Sanderson’s position is relatively secure, and the envy of many.

Which is why they're struggling to understand it in Melbourne.

Derwayne said:
Malthouse said just over a week ago: “There is no doubt, I think we are playing as good a football as we have played in 18 months, yet we haven’t won games.

“We are confident that the side we are trying to put out there is one that is growing.”

But no one bought it, and two days later the Blues lost to GWS. Not even new Carlton president Mark LoGiudice bought it, saying of the Malthouse tenure, “I don’t see the reason why you discuss contracts early ... The middle of next year I imagine would be the appropriate time.”

This is why I don't see this as firing Bambi, but more fixing up Trigg's *-up to extend Sando's contract when he didn't have to.

Derwayne said:
Every AFL coach other than Essendon’s Mark Thompson, is expected to survive the 2014 season. But 2015 will be a different story.

By this time next year, Hardwick will have had five years to prove his self; Sanderson and McCartney will have had four seasons, and Malthouse three. More than enough time for their bosses to assess if they are meeting expectations.

If those meetings took place now, and that question was asked, the answer on all four of those coaches, Sanderson included, would be no. Sando has twelve months starting today, to change it to a yes.

Normal transmission resumed from Derwayne. Thank God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back