List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
Guys, was told some information today which I found quite interesting. Absolutely no idea how credible the source is, so make what you will of it...

- "Schroder will be off to Essendon...going by my chat with him today"
- "Mitch Brown is likley to stay unless other clubs want him"
- "Hunt, Burbury are gone"
- "Cats are circling Nathan Jones as well"

Thoughts?

Interesting. I think this has been what mostly this thread had covered.

Though Jones would be good also

Nathan Jones would cost as much as Danger in a trade.

He is Demons best player, best MF and would only leave under epic trade conditions I feel. 3 bit part players wound not do it.

I think he his a gun and would be a massive get for us but it is very very far fetched.

Go Catters

Although Burbury hasn't blown me away with his finishing skills, I would find it peculiar to get rid of him at this point.

I reckon the Hun footy intern was reading the Cats page and did the old cut and paste.

He is close to verbatim to some posts on here. I 'd say Burbs getting cut after 1 yr on the list having started with a bang, got his face smashed, came back very slowly and then got dropped, hurt and never seen again. Not sure I buy the delisting thing just yet.

Go Catters

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon the Hun footy intern was reading the Cats page and did the old cut and paste.

He is close to verbatim to some posts on here. I 'd say Burbs getting cut after 1 yr on the list having started with a bang, got his face smashed, came back very slowly and then got dropped, hurt and never seen again. Not sure I buy the delisting thing just yet.

Go Catters
I agree. Unless a "too good" offer comes along I think we will keep Burbs. It's not like McCarthy has that small defensive forward spot sewn up just yet.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I think Burbury is higher rated by the coaches than the average fan. Doubt he will leave.

I am not completely sold but he does bring energy to half forward. I worry about his injury record though.

Go Catters
I get what you're saying here Daz but Burbury has been at the club for the same amount of time Schroder has (and Burbury has actually played more senior games despite being a rookie for the majority of his stay).

If the club is prepared to move Schroder (and many on this board believe he is in the cross hairs) after only 5 chances at senior level then I don't see it as too far-fetched that Burbury, with 7 senior games, could also be considered.

Smedts and McCarthy can both play Burbury's position. Hartman and Lang could, I think, also play there.

Hell, I can even see Stokes spending a bit more time in the forward line next year as more onus is put on the young blokes to log more minutes in the midfield.

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
Although Burbury hasn't blown me away with his finishing skills, I would find it peculiar to get rid of him at this point.
Yeah, I thought he'd shown quite a bit, just hadn't handled the pressure and adjusted properly yet. Hasn't had a problem finding the sticks in the seconds, just needed a game where he slotted a couple and got the monkey off the back...

I like the idea of getting Jones but he wouldn't come cheap. We know of the strong connection between Rivers & Frawley, but I wonder if Jones is also good mates with those 2 guys and hence our ability to entice Jones to the club also might see Frawley decide that 5 years in Geelong on lower money is better then 7 years at Freo; not sure if Frawley & Sylvia are mates or not. GHS has shown himself to be a solid player, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if the right option came along and maybe getting Jones could be that right option, with a win for both clubs.

As for Burbury - yes this was his first year on the senior list, but he had 3 years as a rookie and he did spend extended time during those years injured and that might be a concern to the club. We already have guys on the list with injury issues and they might just feel that while there is a level of upside with Burbry, he hasn't shown enough or been fit for long enough to warrant a spot beyond this year if we are tight for list spots & delistings/trades.

I get what you're saying here Daz but Burbury has been at the club for the same amount of time Schroder has (and Burbury has actually played more senior games despite being a rookie for the majority of his stay).

If the club is prepared to move Schroder (and many on this board believe he is in the cross hairs) after only 5 chances at senior level then I don't see it as too far-fetched that Burbury, with 7 senior games, could also be considered.

Smedts and McCarthy can both play Burbury's position. Hartman and Lang could, I think, also play there.

Hell, I can even see Stokes spending a bit more time in the forward line next year as more onus is put on the young blokes to log more minutes in the midfield.

All valid and accurate points. I guess looking at what is coming down the pike next year with retirements etc I would have thought we might have kept a few fringe guys so as not to have 7-8 new guys rolling in at once.

I figured Burbs is a bubble player that has shown enough to be around for another year….

Go Catters

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
PS: If we can get Nathan Jones, we should. One of the best players and most underrated players in the comp, IMO. Get him in the midfield, Frawley down back, and a functioning forward line and I'd tip us as top 2 for 2015.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
Nathan Jones would cost as much as Danger in a trade.

He is Demons best player, best MF and would only leave under epic trade conditions I feel. 3 bit part players wound not do it.

I think he his a gun and would be a massive get for us but it is very very far fetched.

Go Catters

Yep, that's why silly season is well and truly upon us

All valid and accurate points. I guess looking at what is coming down the pike next year with retirements etc I would have thought we might have kept a few fringe guys so as not to have 7-8 new guys rolling in at once.

I figured Burbs is a bubble player that has shown enough to be around for another year….
Also valid.

However, I get the feeling the club has shifted its ideology somewhat.

Both Chapman and Podsiadly could have gone around this year. A tough choice was made on those guys when it would have been easy to let them leave on their terms.

At the other end, we saw Cam Eardley (who had his share of fans on here) cut when he could have easily seen out his last year.

For a decade the club, for the most part, didn't really get involved in trading but recently we traded for McIntosh and Caddy and took Rivers as a Free Agent all in the same year.

We heavily courted Boak and have been very public about Frawley.

I wonder whether we are starting to utilise our sustained success and off-field stability more when looking at our needs. One can't help but notice how Hawthorn and Sydney have handled their lists over the last few years.

And to bring guys in, others have to go out the other side.

Since the average lifespan of an AFL footballer is probably 4-5 years the club might now be looking at guys in that bracket and asking a simple question - are they going to help us get to where we want to be?

Guys, was told some information today which I found quite interesting. Absolutely no idea how credible the source is, so make what you will of it...

- "Schroder will be off to Essendon...going by my chat with him today"
- "Mitch Brown is likley to stay unless other clubs want him"
- "Hunt, Burbury are gone"
- "Cats are circling Nathan Jones as well"

Thoughts?

Not surprising. Especially the Schroder mail.

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
Not surprising. Especially the Schroder mail.
Would love to get Jones but geez would there be some venom towards us if we landed Jones and Frawley. Would really hurt them. Good alternative to Danger not happening though, doubt we'd be able to land both.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
They may as well turn the lights out at Melbourne if Jones leave. He will not leave, certainly not in a club sanctioned trade. I can't think of a player more important to an individual club than Jones and Melbourne. He is their only real leader and their best player.

He is not available. Forget about it.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They may as well turn the lights out at Melbourne if Jones leave. He will not leave, certainly not in a club sanctioned trade. I can't think of a player more important to an individual club than Jones and Melbourne. He is their only real leader and their best player.

He is not available. Forget about it.

I'd actually feel a bit of sympathy for the Demons if we took Jones. We'd be akin to vultures feasting on a dead carcass

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Burbury was getting a bit of positive press/comments in the footy world at the start of the year (hard, has a go, brave etc). If he's being talked about as leaving I wonder if it's because there is one club that might like him.

Schroeder leaving is a given I reckon. Brown staying if no one wants him, I can see happening, rather than delisting. Forward line could be crowded for him in coming years but he can play down back and we have an ageing defence.

I just can't see how we trade in real quality, someone who is one of the best players at their club. We have no bait. We have no high draft pick and we have no expendable "in their prime" player. We have plenty of VFL guys who can't get a game, but that will never pick up an opposition captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back