giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
Hey International Rules Football fans...

I was listening to the radio just now... and apparent Quiditch from the Harry Potter movies is now a real spot, and the announcer made the quip about when it was going to become a sport at the Comm games... as a 'Quiditch' game was played between Canada and GB.

Which made me think... Rules Football would be a better candidate as it's probably played now in quite a few Comm Games countries.... Maybe 9 Aside footy would be better?

Note I'm referring to Australian Rules Football as Rules Football... I reckon it's a more internal friendly name...but that's off topic.

What does everyone think? How does a game become part of the Comm Games...

Cheers

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Hey International Rules Football fans...

I was listening to the radio just now... and apparent Quiditch from the Harry Potter movies is now a real spot, and the announcer made the quip about when it was going to become a sport at the Comm games... as a 'Quiditch' game was played between Canada and GB.

Which made me think... Rules Football would be a better candidate as it's probably played now in quite a few Comm Games countries.... Maybe 9 Aside footy would be better?

Note I'm referring to Australian Rules Football as Rules Football... I reckon it's a more internal friendly name...but that's off topic.

What does everyone think? How does a game become part of the Comm Games...

Cheers
obviously as a footy fan i'd like to see it happen as long as Australia was not allowed to compete in the comp, but I don't think it will be looked at for a very very very long time in terms of admission to the comm games.

giskard

Draftee
Dec 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Vancouver - NHL
It might not be as big a stretch as you think...

The commonwealth countries that play Australian Rules off the top off my head are... not in any particular order..

Australia
England
Scotland
Wales
Fiji
New Zealand
India
Canada
South Africa
Nauru
Papua New Guinea
Hong Kong
Tonga
Samoa

Perhaps others?

Also as to not letting Australia play. I think it might be similar to 7 aside rugby, in that minnow countries like Fiji or Tonga can beat countries like Australia or NZ in rugby 7s. So if it was 9 aside Australian Rules, it probably wouldn't be a guaranteed gold medal for Australia.

JaySchultzforPM

Draftee
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The commonwealth countries that play Australian Rules off the top off my head are... not in any particular order..

Australia
England
Scotland
Wales
Fiji
New Zealand
India
Canada
South Africa
Nauru
Papua New Guinea
Hong Kong
Tonga
Samoa

Perhaps others?

Add Pakistan, Northern Ireland, Vanuatu and Solomon Islands to the list too. Although I don't think Hong Kong participate anymore

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory

Australia
England
Scotland
Wales
Fiji
New Zealand
India
Canada
South Africa
Nauru
Papua New Guinea
Hong Kong
Tonga
Samoa

Perhaps others?

Also as to not letting Australia play. I think it might be similar to 7 aside rugby, in that minnow countries like Fiji or Tonga can beat countries like Australia or NZ in rugby 7s. So if it was 9 aside Australian Rules, it probably wouldn't be a guaranteed gold medal for Australia.

I think It would still be Australia dominating if it was 9-a-side, for instance in Fiji Rugby 7's is more participated in than traditional Rugby Union and the level to which 7's is played and followed is much greater in more countries than footy 9's is.

Of the countries you've listed above the only one's I'd show any interest in watching would be PNG, South Africa, New Zealand, maybe England, maybe Nauru and maybe Canada, I'd add Northern Ireland to the my list.

I think your heart is in the right place but it just seems like a discussion for the 2020's rather than the 2010's.(just my own personal thought though)

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
In terms of number of countries playing the game, and the number of participants in those countries, it isn't hugely of. However the governing body? would have to push to participate. Do not see it happening. Cost to host countries in providing grounds, unevenness of the comp, what would be the point? could other countries afford it? etc etc

Will not even be remotely considered for decades, even if it does reach the size overseas to qualify as a recognised sport.

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In terms of number of countries playing the game, and the number of participants in those countries, it isn't hugely of. However the governing body? would have to push to participate. Do not see it happening. Cost to host countries in providing grounds, unevenness of the comp, what would be the point? could other countries afford it? etc etc

Will not even be remotely considered for decades, even if it does reach the size overseas to qualify as a recognised sport.
Agreed Jatz. The most interesting thing to me would be the qualification rules which would probably see quite a few expat Aussie qualify for other countries under CG rules as opposed to IC rules and how much that might change the result? (By the way I prefer the IC qualification rules).

JaySchultzforPM

Draftee
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Commonwealth Games makes more sense than any other international multi-sport event. If it were done in full form, Commonwealth nations would be the only ones with cricket ovals able to host.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
hmm the CG games qualification rules make it an interesting idea. Make it nine a side or similar on a rectangular pitch, and you'll fair better than you would on ovals - for the simple fact that most countries outside of Australia - including India - play on rectangular matches, and almost every country has a metrofooty/eurofooty variant. Yes, it offends the purists, but i dont see there being any other way they can be competitive. Limit Australian sides to amateur players only, and I think we might end up with some fair contests.

For the record I dont like the qualification rules for the International Cup. They are being actively flouted by several sides, to the point where its a concern for several countries who are bringing it up at this IC.

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hmm the CG games qualification rules make it an interesting idea. Make it nine a side or similar on a rectangular pitch, and you'll fair better than you would on ovals - for the simple fact that most countries outside of Australia - including India - play on rectangular matches, and almost every country has a metrofooty/eurofooty variant. Yes, it offends the purists, but i dont see there being any other way they can be competitive. Limit Australian sides to amateur players only, and I think we might end up with some fair contests.

For the record I dont like the qualification rules for the International Cup. They are being actively flouted by several sides, to the point where its a concern for several countries who are bringing it up at this IC.

I don't know anyone who actually likes the idea of 9's for anything more than recreation, training or where there is just not enough room. Certainly with the way it is played as AFL 9's with rules of no tackling and the ball can't hit the ground without it being a turnover.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know anyone who actually likes the idea of 9's for anything more than recreation, training or where there is just not enough room. Certainly with the way it is played as AFL 9's with rules of no tackling and the ball can't hit the ground without it being a turnover.

Thats not what im proposing, nor is it how most of the Overseas comps are run. The touch version played here is also played overseas, but more often than not in Europe and the Americas, and at least Japan its basically 9 a side, full contact on a rectangular field. Generally its more 12-14 a side.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably a good time to say who you think is flouting the rules?

Its discussed in the interviews Ive done with several countries, but its not so much flouting as not necessarily within the spirit of the cup.
Ireland, Great Britain, India are all using squads where at least half their players will have been based in Australia. Coaches in the US, Canada and New Zealand all believe its cause for concern in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its discussed in the interviews Ive done with several countries, but its not so much flouting as not necessarily within the spirit of the cup.
Ireland, Great Britain, India are all using squads where at least half their players will have been based in Australia. Coaches in the US, Canada and New Zealand all believe its cause for concern in the future.

Yes I heard or read the interviews, just that when you said they were "actively flouting" I thought it needed some clarification. Not really fair to just name those three on that basis.

I don't think the situation is as simple as Australian based or not Australian based. Maybe also clarify what you mean by Australian based?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
The issue may be, which is worse, too many Australian based players, or not attending at all, which for some is what it comes down to.

Also, not all Australian based players are created equal. If you are talking players who came to Australia and basically learned to play here, and have been playing regular matches over a long period of time, then I think they should be limited in number.
Players that learnt to play in the leagues of the countries they represent, then took the opportunity to develop their game further in Australia are a different story I think.
Players such as Canadas Kendra Heil, who basically came to Australia to play in the vwfl in the lead up to the IC should be unrestricted. The people going the extra yard to improve their football are the last people you want to punish.

On the other hand, the guy that came to Australia when young, and has little to no exposure to the game in his home country should be restricted.

I would propose a system where players with experience in Australian leagues are given points.
Points are based on where they learnt the game, how long they have played in Australia, how long they played in their home country, what portion of their total playing experience has been at home, where they are currently playing etc.

I would have a 2 year cut off, ie if a player has played at home, and Australia but only for 2 years or less in Oz - 0 points
Then go up to the player who learnt how to play in Australia, and has lots of Australian experience, and little or none at home - 5 points with a grading in between.

Then give a squad a total number of points they can have.

You can have a small number of really experienced Oz based players, a moderate number of moderately experienced players, or an unlimited number who have a year or so experience.

Extend the points system to people currently playing overseas, but with extensive Australian experience.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
I don't think Hong Kong participate anymore

I believe they do and are in the SEAFL.

Do not see it happening. Cost to host countries in providing grounds, unevenness of the comp, .

What are you talking about. Cost ? There is no extra cost if 9s is played.
Uneven competition ? Apart from Australia very even.

I don't know anyone who actually likes the idea of 9's for anything more than recreation,

We're talking 9-a-side football NOT AFL 9s - big difference.
The dynamics are almost like 18-a-side football because the field is reduced unlike RU 7s etc which are smaller numbers on standard pitch altering the playing dynamics completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
What are you talking about. Cost ? There is no extra cost if 9s is played.
Uneven competition ? Apart from Australia very even.
Of course there is a cost. While you can play 9s on any piece of open grassed ground, you cant if you intend to do it at a commonwealth games level. There would be a minimum standard of facilities, and probably in many countries, a shortage of freely available grounds of other sports that could be temporarily re-purposed.

Putting on sports at a Commonwealth games costs even if the host country plays the sport and has facilities available.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Of course there is a cost. While you can play 9s on any piece of open grassed ground, you cant if you intend to do it at a commonwealth games level. There would be a minimum standard of facilities, and probably in many countries, a shortage of freely available grounds of other sports that could be temporarily re-purposed.

Putting on sports at a Commonwealth games costs even if the host country plays the sport and has facilities available.

There is NO ADDED cost. The host city has to provide a certain level of facilities and any number could be used for 9s,
preferredly the main stadium because that is oval.
Every sport has it's cost. Some like swimming might be very expensive and have to be provided. Usually the main stadium has to be upgraded
but normally the host has a number of rectangular grounds.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Come off it... Rules footy, that is Australian Rules is played in more countries than Gaelic footy. And Ireland is not actually part of the commonwealth is it?
I don't see why Australian Football couldn't be played at the Commonwealth Games but the South pacific Games are far more realistic and likely.

JaySchultzforPM

Draftee
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are now sufficient countries playing AR to warrant AR being playing at the South Pacific Games.
I like this idea. PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Fiji and Tonga could all go. Does Samoa still have any active footy? And Norfolk Island may be able to field a team, they're pretty much Australian.

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have heard that Australia and NZ may be joining these games in the future and they are now known as the Pacific Games. There are also a mini Games for the smaller nations which could possibly also have a 4-6 team tournament if it could be included.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back