List Mgmt. Free agency/trade/draft discussion (READ OP FIRST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Ryder isn't the deal with him that he can become a delisted free agent because of breach of contract and thus no need to trade for him? Talk with Brisbane is that they were going to offer Essendon a token 2nd Round Draft Pick, even though they wouldn't have to (and that would be far from what Ryder would be worth if Essendon were willing to trade him) just so Essendon "got something"

With Ryder isn't the deal with him that he can become a delisted free agent because of breach of contract and thus no need to trade for him? Talk with Brisbane is that they were going to offer Essendon a token 2nd Round Draft Pick, even though they wouldn't have to (and that would be far from what Ryder would be worth if Essendon were willing to trade him) just so Essendon "got something"

Essendon have said they will fight the clause as they are demanding fair compensation if Ryder leaves.

If Ryder wants out, and the club he goes to plays ball with something the Bombers can live with in trade it will all go a lot smoother. But for him to actually invoke a breach of contract due to an impasse would result in a helluva mess.

The question for us hypothetically would not be the money - as the money could be found (perhaps not to the extent a Brisbane might be able to offer, but enough for Ryder to be happy). The issue would be how do we make things okay for the Bombers to do the trade? And is that even possible?

Essendon have said they will fight the clause as they are demanding fair compensation if Ryder leaves.

If they fight it, the trade period will be over before the its resolved and the clause is in the player contracts (for all clubs, so not an Essendon only rule) due to the AFLPA. They would have to prove they haven't breached the duty of care which is well going to be hard for them to do when they can't produce the required evidence

Which translates as Essendon saying they might do a deal, but will refuse to allow a move where no deal occurs.

So if Grundy leaves, who plays Full Back??? Seriously get a clue about our KP stocks
I'm a Sydney member and have lived here for 15 years sir. Take my kids to every home game. I'm well aware of the key positions stocks.

I'm telling you that grundy ain't happy with his dollars and is agitating for a new deal, or a Brian lake style trade. And Sydney have had preliminary discussions with some clubs re the idea of moving Reid.

So if Grundy leaves, who plays Full Back??? Seriously get a clue about our KP stocks

I would think to get Ryder then the following would need to occur:

- Trade Tom Mitchell and save $400,000
- Withdraw offer for Malceski as he ponders free agency
- No offer for Mike Pyke (he now has a contarct for 2015/2016)
- Retirement for Goodes and Shaw

That is the only way I can see the salary cap space being sufficient.

They will keep Reid and Grundy as they are likely to be our key defensive pairing in 2016 and 2017. They will hope that X Richards or Allire can step into a key defensive post with another 12-18 months of development.

I would think to get Ryder then the following would need to occur:

- No offer for Mike Pyke (he now has a contarct for 2015/2016)

That is the only way I can see the salary cap space being sufficient.

They will keep Reid and Grundy as they are likely to be our key defensive pairing in 2016 and 2017. They will hope that X Richards or Allire can step into a key defensive post with another 12-18 months of development.

It could be as simple as Reid for Ryder.:oops:

Mitchell is on a 5 year $1.5 million contract, so should be on $300,000

As for Grundy I don't buy the idea that he wants out this year as the club will flatout refuse it. I can believe he is looking for a new contract as surprise, surprise he is out of contract at the end of next season and thus that is a deal that will be done at the beginning of next season.

Reid is one I can understand the club talking to other clubs about to see what they could get, but I doubt they would be too blown away due to the fact he has 3 years left on his contact after this year which would turn the other clubs off and we would be looking at him for a role at CHB to relieve Ted. But that said if a club offered us a Top 6 pick for him I wouldn't be surprised to see him elsewhere next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Goodes to retire

Gee thats a huge surprise:rolleyes::D

I guess there is the part where the Melbourne media don't want to be caught out by us again after last year or the year before

I hope you guys pick up Ryder solely to observe the humourous outbursts of frustrated individuals on Bigfooty. And Eddie "Campaigner" McGuire, of course.

I am just making up stuff here but what do you guys think of a deal like this

Melbourne - Mitchell, Jones
Sydney - Frawley pick, Tapscott

If Mitchell wanted to go (if he wanted to go) I would take a deal like that.

If we were to let Mitchell go, then no point in letting Jones go as well. He has a clear suitable role moving forward that Mitchell doesn't quite have without a very blocked path to it. It a Towers or a Membrey that would be the throw in to get the pick by itself.

It could be as simple as Reid for Ryder.:oops:

I think the Swans would encourage Ryder’s management to investigate the breach of contract clause in his contract before looking at a trade with Sam Reid. We may only be required to give away a 2nd round pick or nothing at all.

I don’t think Sam Reid would be on Essendon’s radar. They already have Carlisle and Hurley who are noted ‘swing man”. They don’t need another.

I would probably prefer Carlisle to Ryder. He is a young key defender and would form a key back position partnership with Sam Reid for the next 8-10 years. Carlisle would cost the following:

- Trade Grundy to free up salary cap and a key spot for Carlisle

I mentioned Wellingham earlier because I rated him highly at Collingwood and he would have big upside from how things have gone at West Coast. He would only cost a low 3rd round/early 4th round pick. He could be a bargain basement pick up and add to our midfield depth (if Tom Mitchell leaves). Being close to Buddy who he is great mates with would also help him bring back his best football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back