AFL Grand Final WILL be shown on 7 in HD in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I agree entirely it should be in HD but in all seriousness it makes little difference watching a footy game, movies and sci-fi stuff it does but sport in HD or SD unless you are a HD buff it should have very little impact on how you enjoy the game.
I have foxtel and also top of the range TV's and I have switched from 7 to foxtel when same game is on and I can't notice any difference, not that I am looking for one however.

If you're watching a game that's on both FTA (so 7/7mate) and Fox Sports, then it'll be a simulcast of the SD feed from 7 "upscaled" (poor hd imitation). So there won't be too much difference.

Compare a stand alone Fox game against a 7 game, and they're miles apart.

Mate I agree entirely it should be in HD but in all seriousness it makes little difference watching a footy game, movies and sci-fi stuff it does but sport in HD or SD unless you are a HD buff it should have very little impact on how you enjoy the game.
I have foxtel and also top of the range TV's and I have switched from 7 to foxtel when same game is on and I can't notice any difference, not that I am looking for one however.
Quite seriously: you need to have your eyes looked at ASAP. If you actually can't see the difference between HD and SD you should probably not operate a motor vehicle either.

Either that or your 'top of the range TV's' must be about 10 inches in size.

I would say the difference is at its most obvious watching sport. All the fast motion means that more information has to be crammed into the tiny amount of bandwidth SD offers (in Australia) and you get heaps of crappy looking compression artifacts all over the place. When the footy is on in SD and you flick to another channel showing rugby or soccer in HD it's like night and day.

Not to mention that for reasons known only to the federal government our SD channels here are only stereo, not surround sound.

TV coverage of AFL is a total joke - crap resolution, over compressed, awful commentary, useless stats and analysis, and frequently awful camerawork too.

Last month I watched a Gaelic football match on channel 7 that was live and in HD. Couldn't believe it. Then last year they broadcast the Manchester United game live and in HD as well. They also broadcasted an AFL game involving the doggies in 2010 in 3D FFS. 3D. That annoys me the most, no one would have had a 3D TV in 2010.

All Channel 7 do is ******* troll footy fans. They're ******* shithouse.

Quite seriously: you need to have your eyes looked at ASAP. If you actually can't see the difference between HD and SD you should probably not operate a motor vehicle either.

Either that or your 'top of the range TV's' must be about 10 inches in size.

I would say the difference is at its most obvious watching sport. All the fast motion means that more information has to be crammed into the tiny amount of bandwidth SD offers (in Australia) and you get heaps of crappy looking compression artifacts all over the place. When the footy is on in SD and you flick to another channel showing rugby or soccer in HD it's like night and day.

Not to mention that for reasons known only to the federal government our SD channels here are only stereo, not surround sound.

TV coverage of AFL is a total joke - crap resolution, over compressed, awful commentary, useless stats and analysis, and frequently awful camerawork too.

Each to their own mate, SD won't make me turn it off all make me enjoy the game any less. Would it be better in HD? As you say it probably would but really of little importance to me watching footy.

Lots of content is HD.

Go on, tell us that no-one can tell the difference anyway next!

You done having a conversation with yourself?

Most FTA is up scaled content. But you know everything.

If you cant notice the difference you should get your eyes checked. It is a HUGE difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you cant notice the difference you should get your eyes checked. It is a HUGE difference.

Like I said mate its all in the eye of the viewer. Yes there is a difference but it makes little difference to my enjoyment of the game, I don't sit there and whinge its not in HD, I just watch the game and move on with my life.
No issue if it's a priority in yours or others lives. Just not really a big deal to me either way.

Like I said mate its all in the eye of the viewer. Yes there is a difference but it makes little difference to my enjoyment of the game, I don't sit there and whinge its not in HD, I just watch the game and move on with my life.
No issue if it's a priority in yours or others lives. Just not really a big deal to me either way.
Yeah I shoulda read the rest of the thread before I posted and saw you answer this already :p

In 2010 I watched the GF in 3D. Four years later and I can't even see it in HD.

It's a joke. Seven refuse to simulcast it because rather than cannabilising their grand final audience, they would rather try and scab 50k extra viewers with whatever rot they'll show on Mate

Looks absolutely awful on wide shots on my 60 inch TV. Impossible to make out players/player numbers whilst ball is moving, despite it having 200hz refresh.

Fox's proper HD coverage is much nicer. Don't understand why 7 aren't broadcasting in HD, yet they take have heaps of Hardly Normal ads telling you to buy a bigger TV to "feel like you're at the game".

HN should sue them, really.

This. Most of us will be just about blind by this stage anyway. It's tradition.

Yeh But if HD would be like SD, that will mean SD will be like analog.

At least HD to SD would mean drunks could still slightly focus on the game instead of beating their wives or king hitting others. Its in the nations interest

what the hell is the difference between HD and SD anyway?

sooks

hd_vs_sd.jpg

Now imagine that at 60 inches.

Disgusting.

These days they stream it from channel 7 so it would just be normal SD upscaled. Back around 2010 I remember it used to be on channel 10/one hd and you can actually see everything on the picture. It was the closest thing to being there SD and HD are worlds apart it's like going back to the radio after watching HD!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back