Cyril Hamstrung? He's ready to go for Box Hill!

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think he'll play.
- didn't train fully on tuesday
- hasn't played in over 11 weeks and still can't run out a training session
- need a full bench up and running for port on saturday, surely can't be risked, even as sub.
- clarko has taken injured players before and got burnt, badly. won't do it again.
- simpkin plays the sub role better than anyone in the league

Don't think he'll play.
- didn't train fully on tuesday
- hasn't played in over 11 weeks and still can't run out a training session
- need a full bench up and running for port on saturday, surely can't be risked, even as sub.
- clarko has taken injured players before and got burnt, badly. won't do it again.
- simpkin plays the sub role better than anyone in the league
I don't think he will play, unless he is completely over the injury, but I will fall over if he is not named either way. I expect he will be named unless he visibly has a set back on Thursday. Saying that, if he is over the injury I think we will play him regardless of match fitness. He will run out 1 or 2 games fine. We would never play him at BH to get fitness at any other stage of the year anyway, so this would be no different. Birchall came straight back into the side after 7 weeks off last year and racked up a lazy 26 first game back and was pivotal in the finals. That was a knee injury from memory. Cyril will return once the actual injury is healed and he is deemed fit that way.

Hard to really know at this stage regarding Cyril, I know Mitch and Gibbo were put through intensive training in their last few weeks before coming back into the team, and from all reports Rioli has only done one full session on Monday, Unless he has been doing a huge amount away from the main group and media, I think it's unlikely he plays, but I guess time will tell.

had a chat to him on sunday at the VFL Prelim, was in toilet right next to him taking a slash, didn't even realise it was him haha was quite embarrassing, but I asked him the question followed up by sorry, you've properly heard it from 1000 other people today :p, he told me hell see how he goes, but speaking more with Spang, he told me if hes fit hell play.. :p

The question comes to these opposing possibilities (and everything on a scale in between):

Cyril plays and is fit and does what Cyril does
(apply manic pressure and create goals and clearance from nothing)

vs

Cyril breaking down and us being forced to use our sub in the first minute.

Even in the event of a worst case scenario, it is an absolute no brainer to me. The sub rule basically mitigates most of the risk. People will bang on about the disadvantage of being a fresh man down in the final qtr but this is a comparatively small risk in comparison to the possible gain of Cyril being out there and turning it on. I would be very interested to see stats on the success rate of teams that have used their sub early. I would go out on a limb and say that the correlation between this occurring and the team losing is negligible.

Cyril has to play.

Last edited:
The question comes to these opposing possibilities (and everything on a scale in between):

vs

Even in the event of a worst case scenario, it is an absolute no brainer to me. The sub rule basically mitigates most of the risk. People will bang on about the disadvantage of being a fresh man down in the final qtr but this is a comparatively small risk in comparison to the possible gain of Cyril being out there and turning it on. I would be very interested to see stats on the success rate of teams that have used their sub early. I would go out on a limb and say that the correlation between this occurring and the team losing is negligible.

Cyril has to play.
I do seem to recall a few occasions where a team has been forced to sub early and come on to win. Probably been made more obvious by the commentators banging on about them being a rotation down so expected to get beaten...

vs

Cyril has to play.
I do seem to recall a few occasions where a team has been forced to sub early and come on to win. Probably been made more obvious by the commentators banging on about them being a rotation down so expected to get beaten...

vs

Cyril has to play.

spock.jpg

Highly logical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole point of the sub is that one team is not highly disadvantaged by an early injury - that is, it is never 3-on-the-bench vs 4-on-the-bench.

Went down to training today, and he looked reasonable to start off with, came out a bit late. But when we did some full ground drills, he looked like the Cyril of old. Left the track 10mins earlier than everyone else, but I think he will come in. Did full paced run throughs as well, and was as quick as ever.

Went down to training today, and he looked reasonable to start off with, came out a bit late. But when we did some full ground drills, he looked like the Cyril of old. Left the track 10mins earlier than everyone else, but I think he will come in. Did full paced run throughs as well, and was as quick as ever.

Quote from AFL site regarding Cyril from today's session: "His early departure should be no cause for concern, however, with Rioli jogging off the track, jumping the fence and sprinting up the hill at Waverley Park."

Sounds like hammy has pulled up OK maybe :D

Quote from AFL site regarding Cyril from today's session: "His early departure should be no cause for concern, however, with Rioli jogging off the track, jumping the fence and sprinting up the hill at Waverley Park."

Sounds like hammy has pulled up OK maybe :D
He jumped over the fence like a hurdle ;) Didn't even touch it ahahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back