Club History What it means to be Port Adelaide.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
For me Behind my wife and kids , nothing gives me more joy than the Port Adelaide football club .I remember reading this article by Ashly Porter and feel it sums it up pretty well, sorry if this has been posted before.

I didn't take mutch for the Parker kids to get excited when they lived on their wheat and sheep farm at Karkoo on the Eyre Peninsula.

One morning there was a commotion in the kitchen when Tim, who was then nine, had a cat fight with his older sister Cathie, over a free football sticker tucked away in a cornflakes packet.
Mum intervened and told Tim not to worry."it's only a roosters sticker" she said.
"The only club is Port". Those words stuck in Tim's mind-"Mum was always right"-and it was the start of an incredible passion for a club he had never seen.

When he was 14his family moved to Glenelg and he regularly caught two buses to Alberton to see Port. His kid brother john got tired of Tim tossing him in the air when Port kicked a goal.
There are millions of fans like Tim but what made him special was that he was battling cancer.

Shortly before he died in 1995 - three days before Port won another SANFL premiership-he spoke of his love for Port. It was his personal tribute to His Club.no one had more right than Tim to stake this claim.he spoke with pride and passion when he reflected on his long-time Hero's .
"Bob Kingston-this bloke had plastic knees but he was still good enough to bring down the big marks and kick goals."they don't make them like him anymore".
"Bucky was a little bloke with a lot of guts. I can still hear the roars every time Brucey Light went near the ball.and Russell Ebert-well he was the greatest of them all".

"I remember the 71 grand final when I was sick as a dog with the flu but somehow I was still able to camp myself outside the Adelaide oval gates at the crack of dawn to get the best spot.i can still see Fritzy Freeman , with blood pouring from his forehead trying his heat out.

"Those guys , and every-one else who has put on a black and white guernsey , have inspired me. I was never good at sport. I was one of those asthma kids, but Port always made me feel like I was out their with them and being a real winner".

In his closing months what Port meant to him became much deeper.
There have been times when I've gone through hell with the cancer treatment , and the only way I've coped has been thinking about Port" Tim said."they'd be giving me the radiation stuff, and if lie there naming Port Premiership sides. I'm sure the staff thought I was mad".
But this is what Port has done for me. It has been my inspiration ; I've felt that the club has always been their for me, giving support when I've needed it the most.

"The one Port game that sticks in my mind was the big I couldn't go to, the 1990 Grand final. I was just to sick, and my mate Rob Kelvin from channel 9 came around to watch the final on TV with me. He was presenting the awards after the game and he could have had the best seats at Football park, but he was there with me until the very last quarter.
'At first I found it incredible that someone would do something like that. That's the type of bloke he is. But then I thought, "no this is nearly typical of a Port supporter"
'port is a club that puts hope I your heart and you always believe you can win no matter whether the odds be great or small.when I feel really down I put on the Port guernsey my sister gave me and say to myself: "Tim , you're a Port player now, you're six goals down at three-quarter time and kicking against the breeze, but you can still win".

This was one big game Port and Tim didn't win, and he was denied watching the Power play it's first game in the AFL. But he left behind thousands of people like him with his Port spirit, the love of a club, HIS CLUB.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Too many words. :p
I find posting this easier when it comes to Port love. ;)

2935417.jpg

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
Being part of the Port Adelaide Football Club is like being part of one giant family. Something you wouldn't find at that artificial franchise down the road.
You can't be a forth generation born cows supporter.

I am 39 years old. I have been a Port supporter for 39 years and 9 months.

Saturday will be awesome win, lose or draw. We have come so far.

"We Are Port Adelaide"

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
You can't be a forth generation born cows supporter.
There was a story in the Advertiser in 2012 IIRC about a 50 something woman who was a life long Crows supporter. o_O

I'm only a third generation Port supporter, two born, because my grandfather came from NSW.

Back