FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Ho hum interview for mine. An interesting topic was Couch running 8km on the Friday night before a game, apart from that, I thought it was dull.

Mike should get Sanderson on next week, that would be a belter.

Loved Couch's story about Blight doing a Native Indian team session with them or something like that in the lead up to a match and then saying "....we lost".

Sums up Blight's coaching right there. One or two genuine innovations, one genuine coaching masterstroke (1989 First Semi-Final v Melbourne), but otherwise, an awful lot of dumb moves that ended with "...we lost".

Ho hum interview for mine. An interesting topic was Couch running 8km on the Friday night before a game, apart from that, I thought it was dull.

Mike should get Sanderson on next week, that would be a belter.

Really?

Couch had personality and interesting stories - what more do you want?

I didn't find the stories that interesting, but by the looks, I am in the minority.

I would have liked him to go more in depth about the size of the WCE players. Throw away lines don't interest me.

I didn't find the stories that interesting, but by the looks, I am in the minority.

I would have liked him to go more in depth about the size of the WCE players. Throw away lines don't interest me.

True, but there's a little thing called defamation, which I would say prevented any further detail being added.

Don't think you have to be Einstein to figure out he was a little suss.

Watching Open Mike with scarlett now and some interesting points so far:

In 2006 Club leaders (led by Harley) and Coaches called out mooney, scarlett and ablett for not working hard enough. Says it was a turning point for the club. Also said they were not respecting football enough by playing on the weekend and drinking all weekend every weekend and turning up to training in poor shape. I had no idea that was going in 2006. I'm not having a go at them but just fascinating insight.

Was with tom Harley drinking beers and Scarlett called in to report if bomber was thrown out that Scarlett would leave (going into bat for his coach)

Early in his career he would tell the coach who he would play on and the coach would't disagree at all

In Bombers first year, bomber tells Scarlett hes not playing Full back as there is someone better for that position and Scarlett told him he was wrong.

On field sledging between him and Robert Harvey - he told Harvey he would never win a flag and he was selfish.

Almost had a fight with Stevie J at the club - were never close in early days. "I thought sometimes Stevie would be playing for himself". Now all good.

Last edited:
Did Couch talk about how he was apparently told he would win the Brownlow a few days before the count?

Brent Guerra

Some fascinating highlights points here:

His Tenure at Port didn't end well because he 'enjoyed the adelaide night life a little too much'

After a finals win in 2003, Primus got everyone together and said no going out tonight, no grog, no partying - him and nick stevens had dinner, got on the drink and went out (both left end of year)

Guerra called into chocos office and was asked what he wanted to do - guerra requested trade back to VIC

The crowd invasion when Gherig kicked his 100th goal was lead by Stevie Bakers Dad.

What more could he add? Yes he could say that they were big, but I'd be rather surprised if West Coast shared much in the way of detail about their training regime and supplement intake with Paul Couch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back