2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles (TFS) mentioned sarcastically that Beams is "apparently" going to Brisbane...then followed it up with "the players spoken about moving are usually still there on day 1 of pre-season".

Interesting :cool:

Ryder officially leaving according to Damo... told Hird that nothing will change his mind.

My scepticism is based on not much more than it really doesn't seem like a good fit. We don't particularly need him, and I don't really see why he'd particularly want to come to us.

The last few years it seems that players with options go to clubs where they can expect short term success.

How many clubs in a non football state have the cap space to afford Ryder? So far we're the only one to put an official contract offer...According to Barrett (TFS), Ryder has told Essendon, Hird he wont be there next year...

EDIT:

Sydney has been ruled out as a potential new home for Ryder, despite industry speculation about the Swans making a bid to shore up their relatively thin ruck stocks. Fairfax Media understands that the Swans have not been a serious option, in part because of salary cap constraints.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/paddy-ryder-to-meet-giants-20140918-10izbp.html#ixzz3Dfus9eFl

Last edited:

Just on Blease, I'd be keen if it wasn't for the fact I think we already have his kind of role fairly well covered already. That and the fact he only seems to run one way (albeit pretty well), Leppa would hate him to begin with.

I still think there's something there worth looking at if his deficiencies can be remedied. Has the potential to be a genuine linebreaker and has a great eye for the goals. Thought he'd really become something after his 2012 but seems to have stagnated so a change of scenery is definitely the right option.

I'm really not fussed about the Beams/Ryder stuff. Think I only will be if we pay overs for the latter. Nice feeling to be comfortable with seeing your list grow really, as amazing as it would be to add someone of Beams's calibre. If both of those trades fall through then I'm happy to just add a few pieces here and there. Still strongly of the opinion that a bit more experience is needed just for balance but I don't see us getting experience for the sake of it given Leppa's comments.

If we're on Essendon with Ryder though, as far as I know Howlett is still without a new deal and Hardingham is on the table. I think they'd both complement our list going forward in theory.

After reading the article by the age, and listening to the interview with Swann the other day on 3aw, WOW!!!! If this is how all trade rumours are blown out of the water it is just insane. Swann honestly does not even see slighty interested in getting Robinson to the club and if that's where the age and other media outlets get their information from then just wow. He basically said "No we are not going to pick up Mitch, we were simply meeting with him out of common courtecy". Compared to every article basically stipulating the "Mitch Robinson is likely to play for the lions next year."
It is going to be a longgggg and painful off season if this is how it is going to be constantly reported.

Okay, so we are still getting overly carried away by the same Mitch Robinson rumour being re-reported?
Same, but for this curious contradiction;
Meanwhile, Brisbane has met Carlton's discarded midfielder Mitch Robinson, who has attracted some interest from rival clubs............
............Robinson has attracted the interest of at least one other club.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/paddy-ryder-to-meet-giants-20140918-10izbp.html#ixzz3DhfPT7Jo
:p

I wonder if maybe we're all over thinking this a bit. The initial scoop listed Brisbane as his destination of choice. He has family ties here. So far as I can tell, we were the first club he visited. We have a lot of cash in the salary cap that we presumably won't be apprehensive of front ending.

Of course he'll hear out options, but other than Caroline Wilson reporting that we thought Port were in the lead, I see no hard evidence to suggest we're not still ahead.
Of course, but it's the off season. If we take things at face value, consider the likely truth and leave it at that, we'll run out of things to speculate on. We'd still be on page 165, not 179 if we didn't blow things out of proportion and invent wild fantasies.;)

Just on the Mitch Robinson thing, my main concern if he were to come to Brisbane is how I'd actually feel. I think most would have recognised Fev as a complete dick before he got here, but he was a Coleman medal winning dick. Aside from him, I can't think of another player that I have been strongly opposed to having here. At least Fev was a great footballer, had deficiencies but was a scoring machine. I cannot see anyway I could cheer for this tool. The first time he over-reacts and and tries to fight an opponent for no reason, I reckon I'll be hanging over the fence abusing a Lions player. It will be a sad day.:D

I can't really see where Robinson fits in. Perhaps in a tagging role? He has the same skill set as Raines.

Athleticism, competitiveness, grit but also an absolute turnover machine and terrible by foot.

Perhaps Leppa can mould him into a valuable player. Who knows. He is definitely a competitor but has also proven to be an ass hat off the field.

He is also one of my most disliked players. How awkward..

I have it on authoritair that M. Robinson may have been considered as a trainee water boy.

Unfortunately he kept trying to pick fights with the players as they came to get their water, so he had to be let go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately he kept trying to pick fights with the players as they came to get their water, so he had to be let go.

He can become a runner and reignite his rivalry with Lappin during Cats games getting in each others way.

If the Swans are out of the race then our chances have improved.

Do we really believe that though? I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there regardless of what they say. Had dinner at Longmires house already so they obviously have an interest in him.

On Blease he is a pretty similar player to Justin Sherman. Very quick and a good runner but his skills and decision making are well below average. I don't see him getting regular AFL games.

I wouldnt mind if we picked him up because those are things that danny daly and blacky could fix over time and if he ends up like sherman then great ill be really happy with that

On Robinson I think he is not the brightest star in the night sky but there are worse players out there. He is a big bodied mid/defensive forward who provides very good physicality and can win plenty of the ball. He wins his fair share of contested ball and tackles well. His disposal skills at Carlton have been ordinary although probably not as terrible as people are making out. He went at 72% which is decent. His clanger numbers though are admittedly high. I thought his disposal skills as a junior were pretty solid and with work I think he might still be okay on that front.

If the team thought that he would fit in and would not be a distraction to the younger players then I would not be against having him onboard. His public persona though would seem to indicate that he would be.

Robinson is a no go. He can't kick! A midfielder who can't kick cannot be put on our list!

I'd take Robinson if we didn't need to trade a draft pick - he'd be a solid depth player that could come in when required.

When he puts his (tiny) mind to it, he can be quite valuable. In 2011, when he played all 23 games for Carlton:

500 possessions
100 tackles
10 goals
9 Brownlow votes

Definitely not spud figures.

He has his deficiencies (both on/off field) but at the very least he would make our plethora of young kids puff their chests out a little more as he has zero fear factor.

On Robinson I think he is not the brightest star in the night sky but there are worse players out there. He is a big bodied mid/defensive forward who provides very good physicality and can win plenty of the ball. He wins his fair share of contested ball and tackles well. His disposal skills at Carlton have been ordinary although probably not as terrible as people are making out. He went at 72% which is decent. His clanger numbers though are admittedly high. I thought his disposal skills as a junior were pretty solid and with work I think he might still be okay on that front.

If the team thought that he would fit in and would not be a distraction to the younger players then I would not be against having him onboard. His public persona though would seem to indicate that he would be.

I think this is a fair appraisal, but I'm hopeful our own Robbo should be able to fill this role sooner rather than later, only without the psychotic outbursts. Mitch just feels like the risk-reward isn't nearly good enough.

Edit: just noticed a few posters beat me to it

Last edited:
Just on the Mitch Robinson thing, my main concern if he were to come to Brisbane is how I'd actually feel. I think most would have recognised Fev as a complete dick before he got here, but he was a Coleman medal winning dick. Aside from him, I can't think of another player that I have been strongly opposed to having here. At least Fev was a great footballer, had deficiencies but was a scoring machine. I cannot see anyway I could cheer for this tool. The first time he over-reacts and and tries to fight an opponent for no reason, I reckon I'll be hanging over the fence abusing a Lions player. It will be a sad day.:D
In the short hours since I wrote this, I have decided that the only way I could get through this, is to convince myself through mind trickery to embrace him now. I am now officially on the Mitch "Cute as all *" Robinson band wagon. Come on up big fella, we love rangas here. Make it happen.

In the short hours since I wrote this, I have decided that the only way I could get through this, is to convince myself through mind trickery to embrace him now. I am now officially on the Mitch "Cute as all ****" Robinson band wagon. Come on up big fella, we love rangas here. Make it happen.
That broken nose and those beady eyes a bit too close to each other just makes him even more adorable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back