Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geez Adelaide is a weird town. So fricken insecure. Danger goes on national TV and sounds as passionate as anyone could be about the club and wanting to succeed at the club and that he loves the city etc, and we have a plethora of comments here with the "hmmm sounded like a act" "don't trust him" "not him speaking" "not convinced" "needs to sign first" "actions speak louder than words".

Jeebus, it's like he's the Grand Prix and you're all wetting yourselves with worry that Melbourne will steal it again.

Pretty much every major player who left a club -eg Judd, Ablett, Franklin - left after winning a Premiership and went on to other challenges. Very few big name players leave clubs with unfinished business unless like say Brendan Goddard or Dal Santo they can't see the business getting finished at the current club (and even then they had both played in GF's with their side). Or you are Kurt Tippett - which no one would think Dangerfield is like. Most players do not leave for money - seriously name one other top player other than Tippett who it is clear pretty much went for the money that is a similar situation to Danger?

Dangerfield is not in the situation of Campbell Brown or any of the blokes who went to GWS where they were offered deals far beyond what any other club would offer at that stage of their career.

Dangerfield is not going to have to worry about money either now or post career - Channel 7 would have him commentating now if they could, and the Crows will pay him plenty.

My gut is he will leave if he thinks the club is stuck in 9th to 11th land. And there's good reason to think we're stuck there. He started playing full on with us in 2009. Here's our track record since then:5th, 11th, 14th, 3rd, 11th, 10th - average 9th. If I were him I'd hold off signing until next season as well, see how the new coach works, see who we drop and who we draft and who we trade in.

If we start well and by round 10 we're 7-3, 6-4 after playing some good teams, then I reckon a signing might happen. But if we have another sh*t season and we finish 11th again, then really what is he sticking around for? To be one of those great team men who never gets to play in a GF? Sure 20-30 years ago you might do that if you were playing in the side you grew up supporting. But now? Nope. And it's not even about chasing a Premiership - it's about being a position to win one - the chance to be a player who wins the GF on his own boot.

Read Luke Abblett's article on the finals
Finals are, and have always been, the domain of the elite. Careers can be judged by performances in finals, and for those who fail to deliver on the grandest stage, question marks can remain long into their retirement.
The elite are driven by finals and by team success. While they may appear selfish on the field, demanding the ball, driving themselves to the next contest to will the ball forward, they are the ones driven by winning. Throughout the season, while the non-elite lie awake at night fretting over that missed tackle, the poor turnover, the time they let their man goal-side to score, the elite mostly worry about team culture, morale, training levels and standards.
A player’s goals shift as a career progresses. To begin with, the aim is to play seniors. Once there, the focus moves to becoming a regular senior player, followed potentially by the elevation into the leadership group. For some, this could take 150 games, or around eight to 10 years. For others, the elite, it might take only two or three. This doesn’t mean that younger, more ‘average’, players don’t want to win - of course they do - but the reality remains that if you don’t play well, your career won’t last that long. Therefore, it is only once these goals have been achieved that players are truly able to devote the emotional energy required to focus on the team, and become motivated by finals success.
The vast majority of players who will run out over the next four weeks will be focused on their role, grateful for the opportunity to play finals. Yet for the elite, there is extra significance. While fulfilling their role and providing their usual leadership is fundamental to the team’s finals success, so too is that extra spark that only the elite can offer. For them, finals really are what it’s all about; it’s what has motivated them throughout another arduous pre-season, through the pain of degenerative knees and ankles, and through those mid season crisis meetings when it feels the whole world is collapsing. It is what motivates them to take the next step, and it is why finals are the time when the elite shine and reputations, as well as games, are won and lost.

It's not about the money.

If money was the only thing, Pavlich would have been our captain for the past 7 years - it's about loyalty to your team mates and also a belief that with them you can achieve success.

If we make the finals next year and Danger still goes, then I'll (sadly) admit I'm wrong.

That wasn't a very nice scene. This was the first player we ever introduced to this league,who got a gig as a senior coach,our senior coach. When it didn't work out, he did the presser all on his own,outside the club (we have a specific room for pressers) no board members, no players, no admin, only Ian Shuttleworth making sure the pack wasn't to rabid.

If there's something not being said, it was rather cruel , the way things transpired.

It was originally going to be him and Chapman at the early morning presser together. Then it was changed later to him on his own later in the day. I suspect that was by his own choice and not the clubs.

Good points, Redleg, but we didn't finish 5th in 2009 - finals count and we sure weren't the fifth best team at the end of it all.

There are loyal types and disloyal types: it's a personal character thing. Don't assume they are all disloyal types. If you're a loyal type and a star, you don't reveal it too blatantly or you will be underpaid. Leaves us guessing, but they are still loyal types and they know who they are. We only get to find out when they finish their careers.

Good points, Redleg, but we didn't finish 5th in 2009 - finals count and we sure weren't the fifth best team at the end of it all.

Yes we were, at best 5th, at worst 6th. Crows made and lost a semi final to Collingwood. 6 teams are left at the semi final stage, 4 at the prelim, so either the Crows were the 5th best team or the 6th best team.

Bassett is tightening in the odds from $10 to 8 now $5.

I actually have felt he is our man as soon as Goodwin took the Melbourne job.

The problem with Dew is that he is married to a local Sydney gal who does C7 news, it may be a lot harder to pry than say a Bassett who would genuinely be coming home.

There are some murmurs.

I'm looking at it like this.

If we have someone lined up - no issue. And I believe we do.
If it turns out we don't... scandal makes as much sense to me as anything else.

A sex or drug scandal makes more sense that "I don't think your're doing a good job and won't win us a flag"??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bassett is tightening in the odds from $10 to 8 now $5.

I actually have felt he is our man as soon as Goodwin took the Melbourne job.

The problem with Dew is that he is married to a local Sydney gal who does C7 news, it may be a lot harder to pry than say a Bassett who would genuinely be coming home.

the only thing there is an AFL coach will get a s**t load more cash than a news girl, women are all about the money, she will have a gig on tv over hear no worries

Really? We finished 5th, won our first final against Essendon (96pts), then lost to Collingwood (5pts). That'd make us 5th wouldn't it?
depends who the other losing side was that week, whoever was higher ranked in the regular season would technically get 5th. So unless a top 4 side went out in straight sets then yeah we'd be 5th

The big question that needs to be answered before anything, is how does Stuart Dew get such hot chicks !?!?! Teresa Palmer, Sarah Cummings and there had been others, can any female posters shed some light ? I can't see it (or maybe it's what you can't see ;)) Longmire is not the only horse.

The big question that needs to be answered before anything, is how does Stuart Dew get such hot chicks !?!?! Teresa Palmer, Sarah Cummings and there had been others, can any female posters shed some light ? I can't see it (or maybe it's what you can't see ;)) Longmire is not the only horse.
Perhaps they were all chubby chasers?

He's a very forthright and confident speaker, no question about it.

But those lines were not his own. You're kidding yourself if you think he went out there on live TV without being briefed to within an inch of his life.
Sorry to quote from pages back but I'm just catching up!

I think you're missing the point. Yes, he was coached - the rhetoric from everyone at the club has been the same so they're all singing from the same hymn book.

But... if he wasn't committed, he would not have delivered those lines in the manner he did. If the club sensed that he wasn't in it for the long haul, they wouldn't have allowed him to go on. He delivered the club line, with passion, as a club man.

If you didn't see that as him taking the opportunity to audition for the next leader of the club, then you just can't read people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back