The North Board Martial Arts Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to see if anyone on the board practices/practiced any martial arts?

What rank did you achieve etc?

Post your competition/free sparring vids!

Also general martial arts and MMA discussion, videos and articles are welcome.

This is my sensei….

mr_miyagi-sticks.jpg

''Danielson!''

Having the name Dan/Daniel I always get "Daniel-san!" at work D:

On topic, I do/did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, just a pathetic white belt but I enjoy it.

Considering taking up Judo as well.

I did Taekwondo for four years when I was younger. Got to red belt two stripe, I think. Would have been a blackbelt a couple of years ago if I'd stuck at it.

I did Taekwondo for four years when I was younger. Got to red belt two stripe, I think. Would have been a blackbelt a couple of years ago if I'd stuck at it.

How do belts in TKD go? In BJJ Red belt is like 90 yr old super black belts.

How do belts in TKD go? In BJJ Red belt is like 90 yr old super black belts.

Red Belt three stripe is the last of the 'coloured ranks' before getting Cho Dan Bo, which is the belt between the coloured belts and black belts. After Cho Dan Bo is 1st Dan black belt, which is the first level of being a black belt. Each time you grade afterwards, you get another stripe on your belt and you progress up the Dan (1st Dan, 2nd Dan, etc.).

Took up Taekwando for a few years in high school but gave it up after 3 years. Achieved rank of Green belt. If I stuck at it for another few years I would have achieved my Black.

Red Belt three stripe is the last of the 'coloured ranks' before getting Cho Dan Bo, which is the belt between the coloured belts and black belts. After Cho Dan Bo is 1st Dan black belt, which is the first level of being a black belt. Each time you grade afterwards, you get another stripe on your belt and you progress up the Dan (1st Dan, 2nd Dan, etc.).

Ah sweet.

Jiu jitsu is usually:

White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black, Black (up to 7th degree?), Coral (Black and Red which continues up to 10th degree)

With some schools/gyms further breaking white to brown up into 4 stripes for each belt. I.e White 1 Stripe, White 2 Stripe, White 3 Stripe, White 4 stripe with the stripes being the colour of the next belt up. Usually done because each belt takes so long to get it gives some idea of how long the person has been at that rank.

Takes ages to become a black belt of even first degree.

Ooh ooh I missed this thread. Ages since I have looked in the Lounge.
I have a black belt in Yoshinkan aikido. My dojo has also started to do Muay Thai which I really love too. We do a bit of Brazilian jujitsu in our Core Basics class, which includes a mix of judo, BJJ, grappling, wrestling and boxing stuff - all to improve our aikido. it's pretty fun.
We have done a couple of our annual demonstrations at the gym at Arden St (wonder who was responsible for choosing there;)).

Here is a video of our last demo there - it's a bit long but gives you a look at what aikido is about. Yoshinkan aikido is what the Japanese elite police have to learn - they have to already be a black belt in at least one other martial art to be accepted into the programme. So it's very effective. There's a great book called Angry White Pajamas about an English guy who does the year-long police programme at the Yoshinkan head dojo in Japan.

Don't do any martial arts, but absolutely love UFC. Have seen every main event since about UFC 90, during the great days of wanderlei silva and chuck Liddell. Current favs are Jon jones and gsp ( although Johnny Hendricks is an excellent and deserving champ). Mark hunt v Bigfoot had to be one of the greatest fights ever, also used to enjoy watching Brock lesnar during his time at the top. Cain Velasquez is a pit bull, we could do with him in the centre bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same here. Did Tae Kwon Do for 4 years. Received my black belt (after sparring the 5 other black belts consecutively in the final grading I thought I was going to die). Won a State Championship when I was a Blue two stripe. After receiving my black belt I entered a tournament and lost in the second final. I stupidly went for a spinning back kick, left my hands down and copped a turning kick to the face. Blacked out but still thought i had the match won so I stalled the last minute. Drew but lost thanks to me getting knocked down. Never went back again because I was too angry/disappointed

Would definitely like to give Sambo a go. Out of all the martial arts that exist today it looks like the most well rounded

Sambo, Jiu Jitsu and a bit of Krav Maga are the three general "all round" practices in modern day that get brought up alot.

I think sambo was derived as a military martial art on the back of "an opponent with a broken leg cant really do bugger all to get back in the fight", going off the top of my head of course its been a while since i looked it up.

I think the biggest weakness you could claim for sambo would be the relative lack of chokes that are focused on or allowed. In a real world situation a choke is the safest option for disabling an attacker that wont get you thrown in gaol for grievous bodily harm which you would be slugged with if you destroyed a guys knee with a knee bar.

I've read of a lot of BJJ guys who have dabbled in Sambo and loved it though with the slightly different mindset adding a challenge, but I hear it really comes down to the school you train at, some schools (like with all martial arts) neglect certain aspects, the big one for Sambo being that some neglect the stand up aspect compared to the grappling and joint locks.

Really makes you think about how common it is for kids to replicate what they see on TV and how badly it can end.

Nb: contains material some may find sensitive, this is mainly a discussion video its not a 40minute fight, the end of the fight is not shown at all but still may be upsetting to some people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back