Hird & EFC Smashed by Middleton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I believe that if show cause notices are issued to current or former Essendon players by ASADA this would give rise to immeasurable and irremediable damage to my reputation, my earning capacity as an AFL coach and my business interests external to Essendon and the AFL".

It's all about the players James. All about the players.
Clearly the players always were and remain Hirds first priority,.. Not!

Last edited:

What does Fogdog have to say about the ruling?
Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

It would have always been a roll of the dice which they had to take.

I cannot recall where I read the claims that there was a lot of insurance money riding on this?
Yes,P Larkins said this quite clearly,that all legal would probably be about 10% for EFC and the rest covered by insurance.
But if any proven action against EFC,then all insurance monies to be recouped by company from EFC board.

Wrong result for the club today but really I don't think the case was ever really that strong. It was more a case of trying it on I think. There's 34 past and present players who are intending to defend themselves to the end against any charges, it's already been 18 months and now it'll be an even longer and more stressful battle.

Today was a shot in hope of stopping it dead right now which would have been best for them all... unfortunately it failed but can't say the judge didn't deliver a fair hearing and judgement, we're all lucky we live under a fair justice system where we're allowed to ask these questions in court.

So play on now I think... Has no impact on the case or the evidence, just continues as it would have. At least another year now I think.

BS Bunk.

It has a huge impact on the case - because your club didn't stop it on a technicality. Your club now has to address the substance of the matter. Something that the club and players have sought to avoid at huge costs.

I presume you'd not be against an appeal then? Or do you think it's time your club started to draw a line under this sorry mess, by supporting those who are doing their job - and doing it well - to complete the task?

BS Bunk.

It has a huge impact on the case - because your club didn't stop it on a technicality. Your club now has to address the substance of the matter. Something that the club and players have sought to avoid at huge costs.

I presume you'd not be against an appeal then? Or do you think it's time your club started to draw a line under this sorry mess, by supporting those who are doing their job - and doing it well - to complete the task?

yep, and ALL evidence gathered will be used as necessary. We all knew this was an extremely low probability "hail mary pass" attempt. The chances of appeal are close to nil. Things will get much uglier for the EFC and unfortunately also the players due to this EFC course of action - Evans was very much trying to look after the futures of the players. These actions of EFC cements how the players will be viewed and also the much greater extent of what WILL come out, which will damage Hird and co even worse that what could have been the outcome. Wait and see what "other" stuff and problems arise because of their obstinate "3 monkeys" stance.

yep, and ALL evidence gathered will be used as necessary. We all knew this was an extremely low probability "hail mary pass" attempt. The chances of appeal are close to nil. Things will get much uglier for the EFC and unfortunately also the players due to this EFC course of action - Evans was very much trying to look after the futures of the players - these actions of EFC cements how the players will be viewed and also the much greater extent of what WILL come out, which will damage Hird and co even worse that what could have been the outcome.

You have to ask questions about the competence of the EFC board.

How can it justify the $5m so far on legal and PR expenses? It's strategy took a u-tun when Little took over, and the Board have sanctioned it.

It was the same Board that sanctioned the strategy developed by David Evans. That approach, developed in conjunction with Gillon McLachlan, clearly had the most significant chance of succeeding (which in EFC terms, quite simply, means limiting the damage).

EFC members have seen $5m pi$$ed against the wall. Do they even care?

When Carlton cheated the cap and was fined, the members came after the Board. EFC members seem lame, and malleable. Little clearly doesn't factor their membership dues into account when considering his duty to them.

We know that governance was a smokescreen to hide the negligent activities of Hird & Co, but the governance issues now are just as bad.

Time for EFC members with a conscience to roll this Board.

I am a member and I am totally comfortable with the decision to take this action for the reasons I have stated as I believe the players had the right to the same evidence ASADA volunteered to Cronulla.

What right? The stage in the process where the evidence is required to be disclosed is quite clear.

Perhaps if your Club had not been so aggressive and so willing to turn the entire sage into a disinformation campaign, twisting every item of information (and making up a few) then the CONCESSION of early information may have been offered.

And I do wonder how you can on the one hand be wholely supportive of a technical attempt to weasel out of the consequences based on one interpretation of the strict letter of the law (now dismissed by the court), and yet on the other hand you feel greatly aggrieved that the rules on availability of evidence have not been bent to help you out.

It's so contradictory.

BS Bunk.

Ryder is leaving, the first of many?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryder is leaving, the first of many?

Question is will they have any players? Or are we to see round 38 pick first time (and only time) in AFL history. I sure hope Essendons scouting team is pretty good.

I really hope the members with half a brain finally stand up and hold Hird and Little accountable.

They are few and far between (although a batch seem to be in this topic) and 95% seem to be members of the church of James Hird. I have no sympathy for Essendon supporters if the club is screwed given how deluded, ignorant and stupid they have been regarding the issue from the start.

Last edited:
Martin Hardie claiming judge got it wrong, did not look at the correct points, appeal, appeal appeal.

Tweeting away like a who knows what
Hardie another Hird worshiper...Good God, how many times does someone in the legal system have to say 'guilty' before Essendon supporters get it. A previous comment about the supporters being cult like is true. Hate it for them, that their club has done this, but geez suck it up now surely. Hardie and those like him will go on forever...is it the boys club? Or are they all sucked in to the Hird culture also. What a disgrace he is..."it's about the players sob sob". Used to so admire him, now I cant stand him. Interesting to see what the EFC do now about Hird. They gotta run out of money sooooon.

It doesn't really hit home how much the bombers were smashed today until you read stuff like this

http://sociallitigator.com/2014/09/19/no-fence-sitting-essendon-and-james-hird-learn-the-hard-way/

"The central factual findings of the Court are devastating. This is because the judge determined:
On the evidence before the Court, the investigation disclosed a strong link between deficient governance and management practices at Essendon and the possibility of Essendon players being involved in anti-doping violations”: [460]
In other words, Justice Middleton went further than an analysis of ASADA’s legal powers. He was prepared to conclude that the apparent anti doping rule violations leading to ASADA’s intervention were entirely justified.
Indeed, the judge went so far as to say:
Therefore, the poor governance and management practices at Essendon were related to possible anti-doping violations by Essendon players, to the extent that such violations may have been systemic, or may have occurred because proper governance and management practices were not in place. This seems to have been the very situation that existed at Essendon”: [463] [emphasis added]"

Instead of the finding they were hoping for the judge has completely gone the other way. Sorry if this has already been highlighted, it's just staggering that they could think it was a good idea to go down that pathway. Bomber fans need to act now and get rid of these clowns before they do any more damage to their club.

Martin Hardie claiming judge got it wrong, did not look at the correct points, appeal, appeal appeal.

Tweeting away like a who knows what

Of course he is, he wants more consulting fees to come his way. Honestly who would use a uni lecturer?

He is just another cult member.

It doesn't really hit home how much the bombers were smashed today until you read stuff like this

http://sociallitigator.com/2014/09/19/no-fence-sitting-essendon-and-james-hird-learn-the-hard-way/

"The central factual findings of the Court are devastating. This is because the judge determined:
On the evidence before the Court, the investigation disclosed a strong link between deficient governance and management practices at Essendon and the possibility of Essendon players being involved in anti-doping violations”: [460]
In other words, Justice Middleton went further than an analysis of ASADA’s legal powers. He was prepared to conclude that the apparent anti doping rule violations leading to ASADA’s intervention were entirely justified.
Indeed, the judge went so far as to say:
Therefore, the poor governance and management practices at Essendon were related to possible anti-doping violations by Essendon players, to the extent that such violations may have been systemic, or may have occurred because proper governance and management practices were not in place. This seems to have been the very situation that existed at Essendon”: [463] [emphasis added]"

Instead of the finding they were hoping for the judge has completely gone the other way. Sorry if this has already been highlighted, it's just staggering that they could think it was a good idea to go down that pathway. Bomber fans need to act now and get rid of these clowns before they do any more damage to their club.
yeah, I noticed that as well. ASADA arent the only ones who thinks Essendon players are as guilty as sin. So does Middleton.

yeah, I noticed that as well. ASADA arent the only ones who thinks Essendon players are as guilty as sin. So does Middleton.

You have to feel for the horde of Essendon fans who have been brainwashed with a constant barrage of PR propaganda, today would have been a very sobering experience for them.

Dead set ******* imbeciles this was always going to be the result. We are absolutely screwed the players en masse need to walk into asada and do the best deal they can. Absolute joke what a waste of my money and other members money.

I agree that this, or something very similar, was always the most likely result.

I don't for one minute think that the people giving EFC advice are dills. If fact, EFC had access to some of the brightest minds going around. The only logical conclusion I find is the the club knew full well they were likely heading for a belting but still thought that the cost and the very, very slim chance of a result was worth the fight. Why?

Rich blokes and or companies do not throw money down the toilet without a really good reason. If the advice they got was that their case was 50/50 or even 60/40 against, I could almost accept the argument that it was worth the fight with the view of using a get out of jail card free for the players. Having read a good portion of the decision (btw BobbyCharlton if you are reading this Para 442 is specifically for you), EFC must have known they were on the Titanic and the legal boat was certain to sink. Call me cynical, but I can't see the club dishing out a $1 Mil+ on a useless legal challenge for the players.

What else is in play here? Are the board members themselves at some risk?? All seems very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back