Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts - Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn Grand Final Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Opposition Fans - If you reference COLA you'll receive a Serious Infraction. Any other sort of trolling will result in minor infractions and/or Thread Bans

Well its our 5th Grand Final in 18 years and we'll be going for Premiership Number 6

Play up everyone, this is going to be a massive week. Enjoy it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Final Preview: Part 2 courtesy of Sir Swans

Link to original post: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...d-final-edition.1077481/page-31#post-35274899

Previous Days

Part 1:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...d-final-edition.1077481/page-22#post-35248141

Confidence Level 60%- There are moments where I am certain we will win, but then I keep picturing 2006 today so wavering slightly, but I feel theres still a safe distance from the game starting and plenty of the week to soak up.

Current Match News.

Longmire seems to have confirmed Reid and Grundy are fine, so looks like we wont see any changes. Jordan Lewis indicated he was fine at his many brownlow interviews including on Hawthorn 360 last night. Cyril was banged on about a bit and Sewell, but suspect Cyril in particular will be talked about all week.

Sydney polled the most votes of any team in the brownlow, JPK or Buddy could of snagged it if not missing late games, but oh well I know which medal we would rather they get. Already hawk whinging that Buddy suddenly gets votes now he is a swan, ignoring the fact he already polled 20 twice.

Theres a few different articles on the game, a lot of it Buddy centric which is no surprise, his team mates are lucky he is there to draw all the attention in some ways. There was a cool article about both teams fighting to join Geelong as team of the decade, that would sit well with the tin hat brigade if Sydney are talked about in that light.

2014 Form

I thought I would touch briefly on the 2014 form of both sides. Both teams have won 19 and lost 5 for the year. We of course did play 9 games outside of Sydney where as Hawthorn only have to play 5 away from Melbourne and Tassie, equalisation anyone?

Looking at the teams we lost too, GWS (FFS), Collingwood, North Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond, only Collingwood did we fail to beat at least once and we only played them once.

Hawthorns loses came against Geelong, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and Sydney. The only side they didn’t beat all year was North, again they only played them once.

Theres not much in the form at all which makes it hard to pick a favourite on that basis. Especially when the game is at the ground Hawthorn are so good at.

There is not a fighting underdog in this game.

Top 5 players from each side.

Whoever I pick, particularly from Hawthorn will largely be derided by someone, so who cares I will just give my opinion on 5 key players from each side for Saturday and a brief comment why. In no particular order they are

Sydney

Daniel Hannebery- I don’t see him as our best mid, but I think if you look at his performance if he performs well we usually win, we missed him in round 18 big time and he could be the difference between a win and a loss on the weekend

Josh Kennedy- He is our best mid and has a very good record against his old club, if he can get on top and win the clearances we will win the game, if we allow Mitchell and co to continue to clear the ball the hawks will win, Kennedy is pivotal for a win

Ben McGlynn- again arguably not in our top 5 players but his energy and never say die approach have been crucial this year, he is the hungriest member of the side. He can butcher it, but if the chips are down and its tight I want benny near the ball

Lance Franklin- Well derr we don’t pay him for nothing, his accuracy is important, but its almost how we structure up and use him that is crucial, I was going to bracket him with Tippett- because if we want to win we have to use this two well and not just bomb to buddy and allow someone like a Gibson or Birchall to continually spoil while Tippett twiddles his thumb

Mike Pyke- We need to win the clearances to win and a lot of that rests on the ruckman, I rate Hale and Ceglar, we need a big game from Pyke to win.

Hawthorn

I was going to put Matt Stevic, but I will attempt to be sensible.

Sam Mitchell- This guy is a superstar and is actually criminally underrated, he has been consistently elite longer than anyone currently playing. He is dynamic in the middle, you cant tell which side he favours and his hands are exceptional, he can also drift back, we need to match him head to head.

Jarryd Roughead- Roughead is a superstar forward who for his size is surprisingly agile, I am bloody worried about him getting away from ted on a lead or exploiting him when it hits the ground. If he is on song like v Port then the Hawks have one hand on the cup

Isaac Smith the hawks have a few quick players especially smith and hill, they have breust and shiels and it feels like all of them can burst a line and kick goals, but smith worries me the most. Seems to break the lines and hit the scoreboard from a long way which means he can turn a game quite quickly. I am not sure we actually have the right match up for him either which is a concern.

Brian Lake I know I didn’t put Tippett in our 5, but now he finally looks agile he could get a hold of the hawks, but if Brian Lake plays at his best then Tippett is in for a torrid day, Lake is bloody strong and rarely beaten one on one, sure he scrags a lot but he plays for Hawthorn so he can get away with it. Oh yeah I was going to be sensible

Jordan Lewis- has always been tough, and maybe I am slow to notice, but this year I think he has become elite. He gave us a bath in round 18 and we need to minimise his touches as they are damaging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommy221987

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
As the OP said '5th Grand final in 118 years'. We are all truly blessed to witness this. There was bloods supporters that went a lifetime without ever seeing their side play in the big game. Enjoy it guys.

Jul 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reguardless of the outcome of tomorrow's game I think you guys should be congratulated on yet another fantastic year and a very well deserved GF appearance. The amount of crap your boys have copped from round 1 all season has been unjustified, Goodes, Franklin all that crap, none of it. I won't lie it's really painful watching that 23 run around but that guy still brings a massive smile to my face. Sit back and enjoy what will be another bumper game tomorrow night.

Congrats and all the best.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Reguardless of the outcome of tomorrow's game I think you guys should be congratulated on yet another fantastic year and a very well deserved GF appearance. The amount of crap your boys have copped from round 1 all season has been unjustified, Goodes, Franklin all that crap, none of it. I won't lie it's really painful watching that 23 run around but that guy still brings a massive smile to my face. Sit back and enjoy what will be another bumper game tomorrow night.

Congrats and all the best.

Great post mate see you next week :D

ntomby

Senior List
Sep 16, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone going to be unlucky and be dropped for the Grand Final? - Craig Bird did well coming on as the sub with 9 disposals and a goal. Jake Lloyd only one that could be a bit nervous - but he did OK also?

Predictions for the game:

In a match where defensive pressure and tackling is absolutely crucial, not a single player will match Tom Mitchell's efforts from a couple of weeks ago. He will again be overlooked for selection and posters on this board will continue to claim he isn't match fit.

Josh Kennedy will return to form and be one of our best, Hannebery will be tagged and play solidly, Jack will be heavily involved in scores and score assists, Bird will contribute little

Ted Richards will be exposed badly 2-3 times in forward contests by Petrie or Brown

Mike Pyke will again be crucial and perform strongly against Goldstein, with little support

Brent Harvey will generally whine, skirt around the outside of the contest, and continue to support a woman who coward punched a female police officer

Lindsay Thomas will perform a minimum of one dog act
No midfielder came anywhere near Mitchell's 13 tackles, nor would they be expected to, because he is a stud. I read at least 5 posters claiming he wasn't match fit and would be best 22 if he'd had a full preseason.

Kennedy was our leading possession winner, had the most clearances of any player on the ground. Hannebery was only solid, Jack had a goal assist, a goal, and 5 inside 50s.

Ted Richards got spanked in one-on-one contests by Petrie on the lead.

Pyke had 30 hitouts to Goldstein's 29, best tap ruckman on the ground, and beat him in a crucial marking contest.

Brent Harvey did SFA while the game was on the line and picked up some cheapies late in the game, while continuing to support the scum that coward punched a female police officer.

Lindsay Thomas elbowed Malceski in the face after he had disposed of the ball.

ntomby

Senior List
Sep 16, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I really don't want this to be Mals last game fro the club.

Give him the 3 years
as long as we give him a premiership farewell - you cant blame the guy if he gets the big bucks being offered. Will always be a legend of the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back