The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

could you also base it on, the fact the swans have been a great side for several years, people want to see a competitive game

And? The Dogs were right up there in 2008-2010 and the Swans drew an equivalent crowd. Check out some of their MCG crowds during this time against Collingwood, the Hawks and even the Tiges

They've had a terrific base of supporters in Melbourne for at least 10 years, it should be a model for the Lions who need to do more to captivate the Fitzroy base.

It's incredibly hard to predict splits of supporters. I heard figures before the game of 5000 and 8000 Port fans being at Subi last week, and the end result was about 1500. Likewise last year when Freo played Geelong the media were talking up 5000 fans making the trip, and there were maybe 2000 of us at best.

Bit easier to go from Adelaide to Melbourne, but i'd be surprised if even close to 20k Port fans will be there. Half that would be a commendable effort.

You're telling me Port Adelaide didn't bring 10,000 to their Elimination Finals / Semi Finals against Collingwood and Geelong last year ;)

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...rl-and-afl-stars/story-fnp0lyn3-1227063260696

48000 for Sydney v North Melbourne
I assume 70000 for Hawthorn v Port (it ain't getting 90000 that's for sure!)
I had to do a double take, i guess it wouldn't have made the story so compelling if they had said tracking for 70k...
48k would be a decent attendance for the Syd v Nth matchup if they get it.

20k for the Roosters would be a decent result vs the low drawing cowboys but if the dogs and manly only get 27k that'd be pretty shite

And? The Dogs were right up there in 2008-2010 and the Swans drew an equivalent crowd. Check out some of their MCG crowds during this time against Collingwood, the Hawks and even the Tiges

They've had a terrific base of supporters in Melbourne for at least 10 years, it should be a model for the Lions who need to do more to captivate the Fitzroy base.

I doubt the Swans and Lions would want to motivate their supporters to attend the games in Melbourne as it will never be their home game therefore no additional income, they should work on growing there own home bases rapidly and look at improving membership options for these interstate supporters

48029 at ANZ

Nearly 10k less than the last prelim in Sydney 2 years ago. There were probably a few more Pies fans there that year than North fans tonight but nowhere near 10k more. Disappointing not to be able to entice the same number of Swans fans there tonight.

The AFL charge Bledisloe Cup prices, but only have 5 days to sell tickets compared to a couple of months for the rugby.

I mean really, a vast majority of seats are over $100 for an adult. You're pricing out half your prospective fan base. Seats at the back behind the goals were $134 FFS.

They really should have started selling tickets last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one thinking the AFL are pricing themselves out of a huge opportunity in Sydney? The Finals would probably have to be the best time to showcase the AFL in Sydney. Any casual supporter thinking of attending you reckon would be put off the price of tickets. I understand paying a premium for finals tickets, but surely $120+ would turn away a lot of potential supporters. Considering the Swans got 71k and 61k to previous preliminary finals against the Lions ('03) and Freo ('06) the demand is certainly there.

I reckon if they made it a bit more affordable you would definitely be getting more casual supporters attending the game. They should be targeting the casual supporters, those who watch the Swans on TV but don't necessarily make it to the game, or those who follow from a distance who might be a bit curious to check out a game of AFL. I just think they're missing out on a big opportunity to get huge finals crowds in Sydney when they're certainly capable

Am I the only one thinking the AFL are pricing themselves out of a huge opportunity in Sydney? The Finals would probably have to be the best time to showcase the AFL in Sydney. Any casual supporter thinking of attending you reckon would be put off the price of tickets. I understand paying a premium for finals tickets, but surely $120+ would turn away a lot of potential supporters. Considering the Swans got 71k and 61k to previous preliminary finals against the Lions ('03) and Freo ('06) the demand is certainly there.

I reckon if they made it a bit more affordable you would definitely be getting more casual supporters attending the game. They should be targeting the casual supporters, those who watch the Swans on TV but don't necessarily make it to the game, or those who follow from a distance who might be a bit curious to check out a game of AFL. I just think they're missing out on a big opportunity to get huge finals crowds in Sydney when they're certainly capable
Quite true. I have a friend who was brought along to a Swans game by another friend having no previous experience of AFL, but now is a rusted on Sydney fan who follows the team around the country having being captivated by the game just from attending that one match. Her kids become followers as well, and so it perpetuates. It's these casual observers that are the key the game's future growth in Sydney, and the best way to invite casual's is to lower the prices for watching games.

Terrific roll up, both Hawks and Power fans turned out in expected numbers (given the pre game hype). Fair to say Ports famed 20,000 definitely rocked up and made plenty or noise. Pretty much all stands were 80% save the AFL members which was 50% to 60% full (not surprising as Hawks and Power wouldn't have 5000 AFL members combined!) and MCC members which was almost packed as is custom for PF weekend!

The game drew 5000 more than the 2012 Hawthorn v Adelaide PF for an appropriate comparison.

The new top 10 for finals...

Collingwood v Adelaide - 88,960 (2002)
Essendon v West Coast - 85,656 (1996)
Collingwood v Port Adelaide - 77,405 (2003 - SOLD OUT)
Essendon v Adelaide - 76,380 (1993)
Essendon v West Coast - 75,433 (1993)
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide - 74,856 (2014)
St Kilda v Sydney - 73,344 (2005)
West Coast v Geelong - 71,745 (1992)
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide - 70,088 (1997)
Hawthorn v Adelaide - 69,146 (2012)

Last edited:
Outside of the AFL, crowds right across Vic have either smashed records or pulled massive crowds to watch their Grand finals!

VFL today @ Etihad Stadium pulled a massive 23000
O&M (VCFL Ranking: 4) today @ Albury pulled 9000
Bendigo Leauge (VCFL Ranking: 6) yesterday pulled a record 11000
Murray Leauge (VCFL Ranking: 8) yesterday pulled a record 8500

Also SA Grand final was the biggest in 15 years at AO

Just found these figures interesting and show how much we all love our FOOTY!

Outside of the AFL, crowds right across Vic have either smashed records or pulled massive crowds to watch their Grand finals!

VFL today @ Etihad Stadium pulled a massive 23000
O&M (VCFL Ranking: 4) today @ Albury pulled 9000
Bendigo Leauge (VCFL Ranking: 6) yesterday pulled a record 11000
Murray Leauge (VCFL Ranking: 8) yesterday pulled a record 8500

Also SA Grand final was the biggest in 15 years at AO

Just found these figures interesting and show how much we all love our FOOTY!

38,644 at Adelaide Oval today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back