Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you guys offer Leuenberger as part of the package? Why have Leuenberger, Ryder and Martin on the same list when you can get more currency for the midfield or talls? Plus he's always injured so why not move him on?
We may end up trading him somewhere else, If Ryder picks us there would be just no need for us to include Leuenberger in that deal. Why would we give more than we had to?

+ someone like Young or Moore

Ah, no.

And then maybe a swap of picks later in the draft.

Also, a no.

Look I have sympathy for Essendon's fans. However, if another club was in Essendon's predicament, and a player from said club wanted a transfer to Windy Hill, Essendon would play hardball. What ever club Ryder nominates, they should play the hardest of hardball.

Is it 'unfair' that the balance of power is in Ryder's favour? I personally don't think so, however, I'm sure others will disagree. Is it 'unfair' that Ryder's market value, is considerably less than his actual value? In a way, yes. However, this is Essendon's pain to endure.

It is, what it is.

Yep it will be a pick around the end of first round or start of second round. It's not fair but that's the way the system is. It's essentially ensuring that you do not totally offend the Bombers.

Essendon will have essentially no say, he will go to the club he nominates.

Spot on.

We may end up trading him somewhere else, If Ryder picks us there would be just no need for us to include Leuenberger in that deal. Why would we give more than we had to?

Exactly.

Business is business. If you want a friend, buy a dog.

Last edited:

Injury prone, 27 year old, no longer needed ruckman. Don't think we'll be swinging anything like that.

Fare call. My first suggestion would be luey and our second round pick to freo for their first but you finished a little lower on the later than what I thought.

Can someone explain this get out clause to me?

Why wouldn't Ryder get out of his 2 year deal via said clause and just sign a 4 year deal on 700k at Brisbane?

Better for Brisbane and Ryder, and I highly doubt essendon want to go back to court after today.

Can someone explain this get out clause to me?

Why wouldn't Ryder get out of his 2 year deal via said clause and just sign a 4 year deal on 700k at Brisbane?

Better for Brisbane and Ryder, and I highly doubt essendon want to go back to court after today.
Most likely - despite certain media coverage, Ryder doesn't hate the club. He wants to move and we will facilitate it. We will look for the best deal we can agree on with his nominated club(s) and ratify that.

It's how adults conduct themselves in a professional environment.

Most likely - despite certain media coverage, Ryder doesn't hate the club. He wants to move and we will facilitate it. We will look for the best deal we can agree on with his nominated club(s) and ratify that.

It's how adults conduct themselves in a professional environment.

The afl is business, if Ryder can use this clause to sign a 4 year deal for 3mil vs his current 2 year deal at 1 mil, what do you think his managers advice would be?

The afl is business, if Ryder can use this clause to sign a 4 year deal for 3mil vs his current 2 year deal at 1 mil, what do you think his managers advice would be?
Yes, but he will get that without bringing about his own sentence,
2 years from asada isn't absolute. At this stage, not even one day is.
And we will trade him to where he wants to go.
So why trigger the clause if you get what you want without heightening the risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but he will get that without bringing about his own sentence,
2 years from asada isn't absolute. At this stage, not even one day is.
And we will trade him to where he wants to go.
So why trigger the clause if you get what you want without heightening the risk

Yeah that makes sense, but I can't see a club coughing up more than a second rounder considering the situation.

No doubt you'll somehow end up with Tom Mitchell and Ryder in Sydney though

So I assume as Ryder is going we will try and target Giles as he can pinch hit up forward rather competently. As unrealistic as it may be I would hope Essendon will try and target Tom Nicholls as his versatilty is something I rate but that deal would be extremely difficult.

Barrett reporting Ryder has requested a trade to Port.

If you're talking about the post on our board, it was fake. Which is great news. If Damian Barrett actually had reported that Ryder had requested a trade to Port, then Brisbane should be preparing their welcoming party and moving on to focus on what they're going to trade for him.

I love this notion that Brisbane are just going to roll over and offer up their first round draft pick plus a quality youngster because thats what Essendon fans think is fair.

Brisbane didn't chase Ryder, he beat a path to their door. And he did it in the lead up to Essendon's first final after being booted out of last years finals, so he probably doesnt care what you get in return. Brisbane have a crazy amount of cap space and are in rebuild mode, you're not getting their first rounder. Coupled with the fact that Essendon (if they havent completely lost the plot) dont want to have a star player potentially tear up his contract with a couple of years remaining and go for nothing. That would be a disastrous precedent for Windy Hill.

But who knows, the lure of playing out his footy days with Monfries at Port is probably tempting for Ryder too. Dont reckon Kochie would be too keen to sign on Ryder at a high price though. He's been quite vocal against Essendon throughout all this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back