Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2010
Vermont
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtic, Glasgow Warriors, Wolves
Don't know where to put this so this thread will do....

Just watched the NRL semi between Sydney Roosters & North Queensland, and yet again, for the 3rd year in a row, a very very questionable call has cost the Cowboys elimination from the finals!

If you thought we've had bad luck, the Cowboys OWN bad luck! I'm still shaking my head, I can't believe it. Once is bad enough, twice and you start to raise an eyebrow, now a 3rd year in a row????

Just ******* bullshit! JT & the whole club should be livid, and I'd even suggest they approach the NRL hierarchy for this absolute calamity!

Idiots shouldn't have kicked off short. Short kick offs work, especially in the superior code, but that was one of the worst examples I've seen in a long time, given the circumstances (The Fijiian U20s at the JRWC this years was technically worse, but they were bein smashed, nothing to play for except give it a go).

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
What happened in the NRL?
Don't watch rugby but let it out mate!!
Scores locked at 30-30 with 5 mins to go.... Sonny Bill gets a penalty (which should have actually gone against him, as it was a knock on), and Roosters score a field goal from the resultant plays.... 31-30

Then with 46 seconds to go, Cowboys somehow manage to create a kamikaze play & score a try, only to be robbed by the video ref due to the ball brushing a Cowboys players arm & ALLEGEDLY the ball went forward (which I didn't think it did & neither did about 3 of the 5 commentators)

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Idiots shouldn't have kicked off short. Short kick offs work, especially in the superior code, but that was one of the worst examples I've seen in a long time, given the circumstances (The Fijiian U20s at the JRWC this years was technically worse, but they were bein smashed, nothing to play for except give it a go).
Don't worry about the players, just get the refs to actually get it right to start with. That SBW penalty was a disgrace, he clearly fumbled that in the tackle. And then for the Roosters to score the field goal off that play is just ****ed....

3 years in a row..... You couldn't make this s**t up if you tried!

Scores locked at 30-30 with 5 mins to go.... Sonny Bill gets a penalty (which should have actually gone against him, as it was a knock on), and Roosters score a field goal from the resultant plays.... 31-30

Then with 46 seconds to go, Cowboys somehow manage to create a kamikaze play & score a try, only to be robbed by the video ref due to the ball brushing a Cowboys players arm & ALLEGEDLY the ball went forward (which I didn't think it did & neither did about 3 of the 5 commentators)

Agree, looking seriously dudded.

For all Norths toughness (shinboner spirit etc) they are seriously lacking through the middle....apart from Ziebel (in and under) and Dal (outside) they are all 7/10 players. Gibson, cunnington, Atley, Bastinac, Wells, Adams, Greenwood are just not as good as the Swans/ Hawks. I wonder how much improvement they've got? Swallow is an average footballer...is he injured?

TheLastEmperor

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
For all Norths toughness (shinboner spirit etc) they are seriously lacking through the middle....apart from Ziebel (in and under) and Dal (outside) they are all 7/10 players. Gibson, cunnington, Atley, Bastinac, Wells, Adams, Greenwood are just not as good as the Swans/ Hawks. I wonder how much improvement they've got? Swallow is an average footballer...is he injured?

Their midfield bats deep but they lack quality. I love Cunnington, he has vice-like hands. Very clean. A lot of plodders though.

The SBW one was the one that really pissed me off.... Just a shocking call at a crucial moment. The Roosters scoring from the resulting sets is just the dagger through the skull :(

Gotta feel for JT

My daughter and I, both huge Dragons fans so hardly Cowboy fans thought the same, he deserves a lot better....

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I said back in 2012, I hope everyone at Essendon had their cars locked when Dayle Garlett was training there leading up to the rookie draft of that year!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-19/former-hawk-garlett-charged-with-burglary

FORMER Hawthorn player Dayle Garlett is facing criminal charges after appearing in a Perth court earlier this week.

Garlett appeared in Midland Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with stealing a motor vehicle, aggravated burglary and breach of bail.

He was remanded in custody to appear in court again on September 26.

Garlett is alleged to have stolen a vehicle and later used it during an aggravated burglary in Perth.

Don't do drugs kids.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
Omg that kid needs counseling. To be on an afl list. With his talent. To end up quiting afl stealing a car/drug charges. Theres obviously not enough support and counseling for the youth of today. We fail miserably as a society in this a area.

Sorry Sledge. Don't see problem as society not providing enough support, counselling, hand holding etc, but of individuals not accepting responsibilities for their own actions. He may be about to get a real close up lesson in just that.

Last edited:

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry Sledge. Don't see problem as society not providing enough support, counselling, hand holding etc, but of individuals not accepting responsibilities for their own actions. He may be about to get a real close up lesson in just that.

It's too early in the morning for this but:

This is a pretty shallow view that does nothing but place blame on the person while letting society wash it's hands of any responsibility.

I'd bet money that Garlett comes from a disadvantaged background and that there were factors that were completely beyond his control that significantly affected him as he was growing up. Without he proper support drugs/alcohol can easily become the only way they know how to deal with these events and it all spirals out of control from there.

The lack of services directly contributes to the outcomes of a persons decisions. Every time a person falls through the cracks it is a reflection on societies failings. Like it or not, we are all in this together and we all benefit from support services; even if we have never personally used them.

Punishing a person without looking at what went wrong and trying to fix it is lazy and does nothing to improve society.

Yeah he had all the support you could ask for at Hawthorn but it was all too hard for him. Unfortunate but what can you do.

He needed it long before that. That is where society failed him.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
It's too early in the morning for this but:

This is a pretty shallow view that does nothing but place blame on the person while letting society wash it's hands of any responsibility.

I'd bet money that Garlett comes from a disadvantaged background and that there were factors that were completely beyond his control that significantly affected him as he was growing up. Without he proper support drugs/alcohol can easily become the only way they know how to deal with these events and it all spirals out of control from there.

The lack of services directly contributes to the outcomes of a persons decisions. Every time a person falls through the cracks it is a reflection on societies failings. Like it or not, we are all in this together and we all benefit from support services; even if we have never personally used them.

Punishing a person without looking at what went wrong and trying to fix it is lazy and does nothing to improve society.

He needed it long before that. That is where society failed him.

Garlett may indeed had some or all, of the following, with a disadvantaged background, poor parenting, no reliable adult role models, unsuitable peers, not had the educational privileges of others, but it is naive to think he has been condemned to a life of crime because of that.

There are widespread government and independent services available and in place, for those who use them or ask for assistance.

As someone that was involved in Aboriginal education and behavioural problems for over a decade, one of the basic elements of most programs, is for the individual to take responsibility for their own actions. Making excuses and giving further allowances, for his behaviour is what will condemn him to perpetuating the problems that he currently has. He has been able to do as he has wanted for far too long and had apologists make excuses. His problems are his own, not the result of government policies, etc.

If the cows hadn't gifted Easts thirty points in thirty minutes it wouldn't have come down to a cheating nsw refs call again. They're like the saints in a way, you can't keep giving your opposition head starts and expect to win. Plus they should have taken the two from that penalty just before half time. So there.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Garlett may indeed had some or all, of the following, with a disadvantaged background, poor parenting, no reliable adult role models, unsuitable peers, not had the educational privileges of others, but it is naive to think he has been condemned to a life of crime because of that.

There are widespread government and independent services available and in place, for those who use them or ask for assistance.

As someone that was involved in Aboriginal education and behavioural problems for over a decade, one of the basic elements of most programs, is for the individual to take responsibility for their own actions. Making excuses and giving further allowances, for his behaviour is what will condemn him to perpetuating the problems that he currently has. He has been able to do as he has wanted for far too long and had apologists make excuses. His problems are his own, not the result of government policies, etc.

Of course disadvantage doesn't condemn a person to a life of crime, but it sure as hell doesn't help and there is nowhere near enough services available to combat the effects of disadvantage. Garlett probably had much greater access to those services than a regular person due to his football talent and he still didn't get the help that he needed.

Yes, people do need to take responsibility for their actions a but they also need to understand their past and why they did they things they did. Understanding peoples disadvantage isn't making excuses or giving them an easy way out, it is providing a context that helps them and society solve their issues. Ignoring the reasons for peoples actions just ensures that history repeats itself and nothing ever gets better.

Government policies and the services that government provided have a direct result on peoples outcomes. Mental health care, social services and welfare in this country are significantly under-resourced and that has a direct impact on society as a whole, not just on the individual.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Only four first round picks in the Sydney team last night (Franklin, Rohan, McVeigh and Jetta).

That is some great recruiting, they pluck them from anywhere.

A few in the team were rookie draft picks as well.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Only four first round picks in the Sydney team last night (Franklin, Rohan, McVeigh and Jetta).

That is some great recruiting, they pluck them from anywhere.

A few in the team were rookie draft picks as well.

Yeah, they are a great example of quality mids being able to be found later in the draft. Just gotta have you recruitment and development working really well.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
The difference between Garlett and most other people who have grown up with a great deal of hardship is that he was given an opportunity to really make it on the back of natural talent and ability. He wasn't being asked to work minimum wage when he could make twice that stealing or do backbreaking labour working for an awful boss.

I have genuine sympathy for anyone who goes through that kind of upbringing and think we don't do nearly enough to stop it from occurring in the first place. Society would rather wash its hands of it and just build more prisons to stick people in when they dont turn out so good. What a surprise. Still at some point you have to look at the opportunities before you and either take it or leave it and be judged for it.

The difference between Garlett and most other people who have grown up with a great deal of hardship is that he was given an opportunity to really make it on the back of natural talent and ability. He wasn't being asked to work minimum wage when he could make twice that stealing or do backbreaking labour working for an awful boss.

I have genuine sympathy for anyone who goes through that kind of upbringing and think we don't do nearly enough to stop it from occurring in the first place. Society would rather wash its hands of it and just build more prisons to stick people in when they dont turn out so good. What a surprise. Still at some point you have to look at the opportunities before you and either take it or leave it and be judged for it.

I don't think you understand how the pull from mates and peers can get them. I have seen it in the Latrobe Valley, people daring to go to university or get out of it are considered class traitors. The guys that commit to footy almost have to separate themselves from their old mates who are going out having fun on weekends or going away. The life of an AFL players is disciplined and boring, hanging out drinking cans and smoking bongs and not having to be anywhere is much easier. Garlett still gets the tag of talented but doesn't have to prove it now and almost gets as much attention as someone who commits all his time to building a career.

Heaps of extremely talented people don't have the discipline to play at the top level. The problem with a society like the US is that they don't have safety nets so people can easily fall into disadvantage. There are huge areas that are unsafe because of angry disaffected people with out hope. We seem to be stepping away from a cohesive society and are out to punish those that dare fall by the wayside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back