News DONE DEAL: Patrick Ryder traded to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 9 is worth more than Ryder but I do expect the Crows to jump in. Blocking a Port premiership is their first priority right now.
Maybe they will offer him the coaching job as well.

I dare say if we get him and we play Essendon in Melbourne next year which I think we will. His life may be in as much danger as if Walker came over from Adelaide. Victorian based opinion though but I expect boo's to be brutal and won't be surprised if racial abuse occurs. How accurate has caro been in the past with her rumours actually coming fact?

The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that the Essendon players are facing 12 month bans and will not be offered the same leniency as the Cronulla players.

If that's the case Ryder should be allowed to walk. He won't be playing next year.

I think 9 is worth more than Ryder but I do expect the Crows to jump in. Blocking a Port premiership is their first priority right now.
No chance the crows will look at him. He's not even in his thirties.

Even with a ban, as it is not a life ban, the guy is young enough to impact on our club having success. He can be an A- level player most times. We must go after him. It doesn't matter who in our side will find it harder to get an AFL game, we do need one more player of Ryder's ilk.

The Sydney Morning Herald is reporting that the Essendon players are facing 12 month bans and will not be offered the same leniency as the Cronulla players.

If that's the case Ryder should be allowed to walk. He won't be playing next year.
No point in buying a player whom you desperately need to support your team structure, but not being able to player him for a year. He would still be a great pickup, but I'd expect his value to go down a little.

No point in buying a player whom you desperately need to support your team structure, but not being able to player him for a year. He would still be a great pickup, but I'd expect his value to go down a little.

A little? He should walk to the club of his choice as a DFA as per the AFL rules.

In the meantime we will trade in a Lowden and draft a Baulderstone (plucking names) for the sake of need and structure.

A little? He should walk to the club of his choice as a DFA as per the AFL rules.

In the meantime we will trade in a Lowden and draft a Baulderstone (plucking names) for the sake of need and structure.
I thought he still had 2 years on his 4 year contract? Excuse me if my knowledge on free agency is poor, but I thought he had to wait until his contract expired to take a free walk? If he does get hit with a ban, by the time it's over he will still have 1 year left on his contract. Free Agency just f***'s with mt head.

I thought he still had 2 years on his 4 year contract? Excuse me if my knowledge on free agency is poor, but I thought he had to wait until his contract expired to take a free walk? If he does get hit with a ban, by the time it's over he will still have 1 year left on his contract. Free Agency just f***'s with mt head.

Nothing to do with free agency. Duty of care is the issue.

Would have him in a heartbeat.

If we get him to Port, I think it will be the time to play ball with ASADA. We approach them in good faith, try to get a lenient deal for both Ryder and Monfries, they've got each other for support so will be that little but easier to go against the tide and we can hopefully organise a 6 month ban.

I agree tht ASADA shouldn't offer Essendon the same leniency as Cronulla. Essendon have played hard ball, put all their chips in on one hand, lost it, and must now pay the price for their arrogance, self righteousness and overall lack of compassion for the players who which they've subjected this program to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Eddie has pointed out, if Essendon are shown to have breached duty of care he can be released from his contract as per AFL rules. How many legal battles do they want to fight over this whole ugly issue? He comes across as an honest decent bloke, how bad will they look trying to hang him out to dry?

Ryder could walk
Essendon star Paddy Ryder could quit the club at the end of the season with his management looking at triggering a new breach-of-contract clause that would allow him to walk as a delisted free agent.
Ryder could walk

If he gets a 12 month ban, he should be paid out by Essendon for year 3 of his contract and released to the club of his choice.

Nothing to do with free agency. Duty of care is the issue.

Would have him in a heartbeat.

As Eddie has pointed out, if Essendon are shown to have breached duty of care he can be released from his contract as per AFL rules. How many legal battles do they want to fight over this whole ugly issue? He comes across as an honest decent bloke, how bad will they look trying to hang him out to dry?

If he gets a 12 month ban, he should be paid out by Essendon for year 3 of his contract and released to the club of his choice.

So if he does decide to come to Port after activating the Duty of Care clause, will we get him next year, but Essendon pays out his contract, or will we wait until 2016 after his ban is served out at Essendon? Spending a year in Adelaide with the club and getting to know the place would be really good for him before he starts playing league footy and if Burgo can fix him up really good in that first year, when 2016 comes around he could really be up there as one of the great ruckmen of the game, but by that time - Lobbe and Redden may have already stolen that spot...

So if he does decide to come to Port after activating the Duty of Care clause, will we get him next year, but Essendon pays out his contract, or will we wait until 2016 after his ban is served out at Essendon? Spending a year in Adelaide with the club and getting to know the place would be really good for him before he starts playing league footy and if Burgo can fix him up really good in that first year, when 2016 comes around he could really be up there as one of the great ruckmen of the game, but by that time - Lobbe and Redden may have already stolen that spot...

If he is banned he can't be around the club or Burgo even I expect.

2mxg18k.jpg

That could be a bit murky, it may be up to the AFL. The NRL ruled the Cronulla players could not play or train with their clubs. The AFL might do it differently.

When Ryder leaves Essendon the AFL may give him dispensation to train with his club of choice.

But the destination club wouldn't be paying his contract for those 12 months, that should be Essendon's responsibility.

It would be interesting if Essendon players were given a 12 month ban backdated to the start of the court case, so they become eligible mid-season.

Who knows what the AFL will do?

If we get him to Port, I think it will be the time to play ball with ASADA. We approach them in good faith, try to get a lenient deal for both Ryder and Monfries, they've got each other for support so will be that little but easier to go against the tide and we can hopefully organise a 6 month ban.

I agree tht ASADA shouldn't offer Essendon the same leniency as Cronulla. Essendon have played hard ball, put all their chips in on one hand, lost it, and must now pay the price for their arrogance, self righteousness and overall lack of compassion for the players who which they've subjected this program to.

While ideal it is out of our hands. ASADA will act based on Essendon and the players' actions. Both groups chose to fight it in court. The best hope is the backdating will be generous enough to qualify players for sometime next season. If the players now that the result of the Essendon challenge is known accept bans (hopefully from after the GF) ASADA might still show some leniency.

If they can convince ASADA that Essendon threatened them in some way to not take the early plea a shortened penalty should still be a viable option if the argument is well put together.

I feel for the players who moved away after what Essendon did to them but are looking at copping the same whack of those that foolishly stood by the club as if they did nothing wrong, sure Gus & Ryder could've stood alone in copping the ban but the Bombers themselves are the ones who should be punished.

I can't see ASADA who've handled the whole Essendon saga poorly putting a harsher punishment in place to players who come forward when they've given a lesser whack to the NRL players.

If the ban is any longer than 6 months they can forget our first rounder good will trade.

lol at the essendon supporters demanding a first round pick plus a quality player..the bloke just quit your club so be happy with what you get!

also what quality player wants to go to essendon? that club is a huge mess.

Bloody Essendon supporters wanting the world for Ryder.
News flash maybe if you didn't try to stick a 1000 needles in your players arms they would stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back