The Law The Terrorism Files - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's bit of a problem in how to deal with people who are convicted for plotting terrorist attacks. Of course they should go to jail, but the problem is when they are released. Those who plot or commit terrorist acts appear to show similar signs of those who are brainwashed to follow cult. Cultists have shown that they very hard to rehabilitate their way of thinking.

Unlike someone who commits a murder for personal reasons or someone robbing a service station for cash, these people are committing a crime based on ideology. Once they are released there is a high chance they will reoffend. Look at Khaled Sharrouf, he was convicted for plotting a terrorist attack on our soil. He served his time in prison and now he's taking snap shots of his son holding up severed heads in Syria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to be clear: I have no problem with the police catching crooks. I have a problem wth them pretending they need laws that run roughshod over ordinary civil liberties and ignore the rule of law to do it.

But governements do it all the time, Chief.

The government only has to 'suspect' you are a treasonist, paedo, tax evader, drug dealer or whatever and there go your civil liberties.Why is it you are only upset about it in regard to so-called terrorism?

Modern Jihad, is geopolitics intermarried with religion. What makes people vulnerable though is not their religious inclination, but poverty, lack of opportunity, social disengagement and trauma. In western countries, religion is the medium that they recruit through, but it is more basic means which are used to prey on the vulnerable, like fear of victimisation, loneliness due to social rejection etc.

A lot of these kids aren't devout to begin with, it's only after they are coopted and radicalised.
Seems to me the last part of your second paragraph contradicts your first paragraph.

The ideology is what unites them under a collective banner. It gives them God's blessing, so to speak. Therefore it is a major part of the problem.

After 30 years interested in the social sciences, I still cant understand why lefties( for want of a better term) always feel the need to apologise for Islam.

Only one of those arrested remains in custody, that doesn't sound like the way you you deal with people who were going to perform imminent acts of terror. I'm still trying to keep an open mind on this, but at the moment this is starting to look like the act of a government determine to move focus from domestic front and it's inability to get it's legislation through parliament and onto the international front as a way of justifying it's it's military involvement in the Middle East.

Seems to me the last part of your second paragraph contradicts your first paragraph.

The ideology is what unites them under a collective banner. It gives them God's blessing, so to speak. Therefore it is a major part of the problem.

After 30 years interested in the social sciences, I still cant understand why lefties( for want of a better term) always feel the need to apologise for Islam.
What a waste of a post.

Lefty? Apologise?

There is no contradiction, the difference is the same as between any radicalized individual and sane functional counterpart, think Irgun terrorist to reformist jew. There are what, nearly a billion muslims, they aren't all jihadists waiting to happen. Religion can provide the vehicle, but then again most ideologies can, however it is circumstance that provides context and motivation.

But hey you want to reduce the world to stupid, aka lefties and righties, so who knows what idiocy you are capable of rationalising.

Only one of those arrested remains in custody, that doesn't sound like the way you you deal with people who were going to perform imminent acts of terror. I'm still trying to keep an open mind on this, but at the moment this is starting to look like the act of a government determine to move focus from domestic front and it's inability to get it's legislation through parliament and onto the international front as a way of justifying it's it's military involvement in the Middle East.
This is fast becoming a Tampa incident.

So glad you used the words, "imminent acts of terror" as the only time I saw the word 'beheading' was in the press and most people here ran with it.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/terro...he-hardest-thing-to-find-20140919-10j76p.html

"Not according to the acting commissioner of the Australian Federal Police, Andrew Colvin. Asked about this on ABC TV, he replied: "Look, I think what we need to do is understand that the plot was about violence against members of the public. Now, how that was actually going to manifest itself, we're not 100 per cent sure."
And:
The prime minister properly assured us not to change our behaviour in response to the threat of terrorism, but then went on to give us a good old scare anyway: "It is a serious situation when all you need to carry out a terrorist attack is to have a knife, an iPhone and a victim."

What a waste of a post.

Lefty? Apologise?

There is no contradiction, the difference is the same as between any radicalized individual and sane functional counterpart, think Irgun terrorist to reformist jew. There are what, nearly a billion muslims, they aren't all jihadists waiting to happen. Religion can provide the vehicle, but then again most ideologies can, however it is circumstance that provides context and motivation.

But hey you want to reduce the world to stupid, aka lefties and righties, so who knows what idiocy you are capable of rationalising.
The irony is that youre the one who is rationalising when you say it hasd nothing to do with religion.

Just change the concept Muslim/Religionism with another ideology,lets say Nationalism, and see how it reads.

I hope you will be similarly sympathetic when the Stormfront types start another thread on Bigfooty. After all it's not their ideology that propels them - there are plenty of non-radicalised nationalists - it's poverty, social disingagement, lack of opportunity and so forth thsat makes them hate immigrants according to your account.

The irony is that youre the one is rationalising.

Just change the concept Muslim/Religionism with another ideology,lets say Nationalism, and see how it reads.

I hope you will be similarly sympathetic when the Stormfront types start another thread on Bigfooty. After all it's not their ideology that propels them - there are plenty of non-radicalised nationalists - it's poverty, social disingagement, lack of opportunity and so forth thsat makes them hate immigrants.
False equivalence, followed by a straw man.

Who said I am rationalising "Islam". I could believe it's a crock of s**t for all you know, and have a dim view on most ideology and dangerous ideologues in general, however, where the difference lies is I am interested in clearly identifying cause and motivation.

Poverty and lack of opportunity often is a motivating factor behind extremism, be that extreme nationalism, or religious extremism.

The equivalence is fine. You just dont see it.

In fact in a way religion - at least the Abrahamic religions - have a lot more potential for radicalising than nationalism/patriotism does. It has added kicker of a perceived blessing of God, promise of a better afterlife etc.

Religion can provide the vehicle, but then again most ideologies can, however it is circumstance that provides context and motivation.
Precisely what I have been arguing for weeks. Well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back