Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting editing on the AFL highlights of the Prelim.

Whoever edited it together showed both of Drew's early misses and also (at 5:55) had the bit of commentary from Carey where he said that Drew really needed to kick the early goals.

Not often you see two behinds in a highlights package. Sent quite a pointed message I thought.

Here they are (if you can bring yourself to watch them again)

I'm not going to watch it.

But yeah, Drews misses, Ziebell's & even McDonalds would have made it closer to, say, a two goal difference at half time instead of six.
The boys would have felt a lot better at half time if we were closer.
It's an obvious thing to stay but if there was a time to kick them, that was it.
Macca can be excused I guess.

Had to kick them. It would have kept us in the game for a little bit longer and who knows, at worse it would have delayed the point where we knew we had lost. It would have been 40 instead of 70. Still. Had to kick them.

Melts like Pavlich when he needs to slot key goals. I doubt it would have made a significant difference last night though

Maybe, maybe not.

The thing is, it's not just the missed goal, and five less points on the board. It's the momentum lost. It's the unknown psychological effect on Franklin when the guy he hasn't scored on in the last two outings kicks one on him. It's the change to strategy it forces on Sydney - if they'd conceded the first three goals, are they going to change nothing and risk it becoming four or more?

It's more than the missed score itself, it's the lost opportunity to build momentum and gain ascendancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just had to kick them but has proved time and time again he can't.

When Ben Brown went back and slotted that goal vs the Hawks when lake was going postal I just thought wow, this kid has got resolve. And then he went on to show case it during finals.

While Drew saved the * game, it was impulsive snaps, the sort Thomas was able to nail even during his yippiest of yip days.

Drew just can't be trusted to kick the clutch goal when needed often enough, at this point neither can Black. Unfortunate situation is having 2 out of 3 fwds suffering the same fate.

He just had to kick them but has proved time and time again he can't.

When Ben Brown went back and slotted that goal vs the Hawks when lake was going postal I just thought wow, this kid has got resolve. And then he went on to show case it during finals.

While Drew saved the * game, it was impulsive snaps, the sort Thomas was able to nail even during his yippiest of yip days.

Drew just can't be trusted to kick the clutch goal when needed often enough, at this point neither can Black. Unfortunate situation is having 2 out of 3 fwds suffering the same fate.
Big Ben Brown is already more reliable then both of those guys.

I didn't post it to rub it in, I was interested in what people thought of the editors focussing on it. I don't think I've ever seen match highlights that kind of 'focus' so pointedly on one player's struggles like that.

And yes, Brown is more reliable. Seems to have a great temperament. As does Turner, a few of the kicks into the 50 towards leads that the kid spotted up after turning around blind after a mark were fantastic. Really looking forward to watching him develop.

Early goals would've been useful, but we're kidding ourselves if we think Drew has some sort of serious problem with clutch moments that no other KPF in the league does. They tend to kick about two out of three, at best? Assuming they'll kick every single one is a recipe for disappointment.

Getting those early goals would've been great. However, what we needed last night was not 'kick goals when we get the chance', but 'create more chances to kick goals'. Our midfield wasn't setting us up to score and we were never going to get close if that wasn't the case.

Maybe, maybe not.

The thing is, it's not just the missed goal, and five less points on the board. It's the momentum lost. It's the unknown psychological effect on Franklin when the guy he hasn't scored on in the last two outings kicks one on him. It's the change to strategy it forces on Sydney - if they'd conceded the first three goals, are they going to change nothing and risk it becoming four or more?

It's more than the missed score itself, it's the lost opportunity to build momentum and gain ascendancy.
Agree....Agree...Agree

I was saying at the Richmond game if Drew hadnt missed that goal in the 3rd when he was 15m out we would have kicked another 2-3 goals...he is a momentum killer...

Getting those early goals would've been great. However, what we needed last night was not 'kick goals when we get the chance', but 'create more chances to kick goals'. Our midfield wasn't setting us up to score and we were never going to get close if that wasn't the case.

I can't agree. Winning in the middle is critical, of course, but useless if the forwards can't finish the job. The best golf swing in the world is useless if you can't putt; the best return of serve in tennis is worth nothing if you can't hold serve yourself; the most blistering qualifying lap in history counts for nought if you drop four places by turn one (Hi Mark!)

Inaccuracy kills. Simple as that.

Drew needs to take a bit longer run up. He seems to swivel off his left heel when he kicks.
This. It's so obvious. He takes a 2 or 3 step run up and then kicks with no forward momentum, then once it hits his boot it's a 50/50 chance of going straight or not. It's so frustrating to watch.

I am curious if he is 90% in the corridor and up to 75% on a 45 degree angle during training, which is pretty much what you need to be to be a reliable goal kicker, because once you fatigue and get a lot of longer and wider shots your overall accuracy plummets.

I am just curious if he does anything different during games.

I can't agree. Winning in the middle is critical, of course, but useless if the forwards can't finish the job. The best golf swing in the world is useless if you can't putt; the best return of serve in tennis is worth nothing if you can't hold serve yourself; the most blistering qualifying lap in history counts for nought if you drop four places by turn one (Hi Mark!)

Inaccuracy kills. Simple as that.

We kicked 9.11 for the night. It's not great accuracy (not awful either) but to put it in perspective even if we nailed all 20 scoring shots we still would've lost by 16 points. Midfield is 10x more important than forward line in the modern game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back