• Brett Kirk

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • OTHER

Votes: 30 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally happy to have Eade in that role, but he currently holds the same position at Collingwood. I didn't include him, because there is no incentive for him to move.

Maybe he might be forced out as part of Collingwood reducing their Footy Dept spending

Brett Ratten was offered the head coaching role at the Power but turned it down and went to Hawthorn as an assistant. He may be interested in coming here as a head coach but wouldn't be interested in any assistant role. I don't think he is experienced enough for the director of coaching role.

Thinking my way through it I could see the possibility of Clarkson coming on board as the Senior Assistant - but not the coach.
With his illness over the past 12 months, he may be looking to take on a role that is less stressful. Our situation might just be perfect for him.

If he was in as Senior Assistant, then it could work with having someone like Tudor in as the coach.

A slightly realistic situation could be;

Coaching Director - Clarkson
Coach - Tudor or Dew
Midfield - Francou
Defense - Milburn
Forward - O'Keefe
Ruck - Lade

Some coin to be spent, but if you really want a top group you have to do it.

The beauty of this is that whilst Tudor is inexperienced as Head Coach - Clarkson covers that easily.
Francou has experience, Milburn has a year of experience. Lade is very experienced and that Lade - Francou combination gave me nightmares once upon a time! Would love to see them destroying Port with it now.
O'Keefe is the only rookie coach, but has a mountain of playing experience.

The Clarkson role is to oversee all coaches. He works with them, looks at their focus and assists them personally. On Match day he sits back with an overall view. Tudor makes the call, but Clarkson advises each line coach.

If you really want to see what the difference between the coaching panel of a top club and ours is, look at this:

US
Senior Coach
Brenton Sanderson

Senior Assistant Coach
Mark Bickley

Assistant Coaches
Scott Camporeale
Darren Milburn
Matthew Clarke

State League Coach
Heath Younie

Development Manager
Peter Jonas

Development Coach & Mentor
Alan Stewart

Development Coach & Vision Coordinator
Tate Kaesler

State League Assistant Development Coach
Ian Callinan

Sydney

Senior Coach: John Longmire
Assistant Coach: John Blakey
Assistant Coach: Stuart Dew
Assistant Coach: Henry Playfair
Assistant Coach: Martin Mattner
Football Development Manager: Josh Francou
Development Coach: Jared Crouch
Development Coach: Nick Davis
Opposition Analyst: Stuart Maxfield
Opposition Analyst: Barry Mitchell
Ruck Coach: Stephen Taubert

Player Welfare:

Player Welfare & Development Manager: Dennis Carroll

Which one looks best??

Brett Ratten was offered the head coaching role at the Power but turned it down and went to Hawthorn as an assistant. He may be interested in coming here as a head coach but wouldn't be interested in any assistant role. I don't think he is experienced enough for the director of coaching role.

In coaching experience he is more experienced than Shaun Hart

Didn't Sando come from a successful footy system
He did but I think it's salient that he predominantly played and coached under Thompson at Geelong so I think perhaps his knowledge and experience was one dimensional. Also seeing it and bring able to regurgitate key cliches is one thing - truly understanding a system and philosophy and why, how and when it works is another level altogether. I don't believe he was at that level.

I think playing under one premiership coach and then coaching under another is a great recipe for success (having coached one yourself is another bonus). Measure recent premiership coaches against this criteria...

He did but I think it's salient that he predominantly played and coached under Thompson at Geelong so I think perhaps his knowledge and experience was one dimensional. Also seeing it and bring able to regurgitate key cliches is one thing - truly understanding a system and philosophy and why, how and when it works is another level altogether. I don't believe he was at that level.

I think playing under one premiership coach and then coaching under another is a great recipe for success (having coached one yourself is another bonus). Measure recent premiership coaches against this criteria...

I'm still of the belief that Geelong's success was mainly to do with two things: Player chemistry and talent. I still think Bomber is a very good coach, but the fact Chris Scott walked in and took them to a premiership tells me it was mainly player driven.

I'm still of the belief that Geelong's success was mainly to do with two things: Player chemistry and talent. I still think Bomber is a very good coach, but the fact Chris Scott walked in and took them to a premiership tells me it was mainly player driven.

They did bottom out for a while though which helped. Plus getting arguably the greatest player ever helped as well for nothing.

The other issue with us was that when we failed, we didnt get good draft picks either because of sanctions or because of the introduction of GCS.

I was just being a bit cheeky

Sometimes I feel that coaching selection panels believe that because a Asst Coach has been at a successful program automatically assumes he will be a successful coach, Neeld, Sando, McCartney and McKenna have all worked as Asst within strong systems and have all been fired or are struggling to hold their jobs

Maybe their might be better Asst coaching working at clubs with younger or poorer lists however are not getting the spotlight because of where the club is in its cycle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Dew, I don't know if he is any good. I will leave that to the experts but if we really want both him and Clarkson (still don't think it is realistic) what is the best stopping us to get him as a coaching director. That is a clear promotion based on his current role and he is more experienced than Shaun Hart has been before getting the same gig with the PAPs.

There are ways around it if we really want to head down that path. If we are going the inexperienced path, I want Bassett. He might not coach an attractive style of footy but he is a proven winner and he does set the culture. The players at Norwood absolutely loved him down there. His career path is very similar to Clarkson's. I think Bassett is just destined to be a great coach.

Just on Dew, I don't know if he is any good. I will leave that to the experts but if we really want both him and Clarkson (still don't think it is realistic) what is the best stopping us to get him as a coaching director. That is a clear promotion based on his current role and he is more experienced than Shaun Hart has been before getting the same gig with the PAPs.

There are ways around it if we really want to head down that path. If we are going the inexperienced path, I want Bassett. He might not coach an attractive style of footy but he is a proven winner and he does set the culture. The players at Norwood absolutely loved him down there. His career path is very similar to Clarkson's. I think Bassett is just destined to be a great coach.

From memory Clarko coached Dew at CDFC

Could it be a motivating factor to mentor him as a senior coach while stepping back a little from the stress of a head coach

I think the Fagan perspective on this will be good to have too. Who make the best coaches in world sport? Young hungry people (Al Clarkson)? People persons (Darren Lehman)? Old experienced people (Guus Hiddink)? The AFL is a pretty sheltered competition with some pretty naive views on many things, maybe looking at a bloke with wide ranging experience (Like Eade, Williams or Worsfold) could be an option.

Rodney Eade

Seven years at swans - GF 96, PF 98
Two years media
Seven years at bulldogs - PF 08, PF 09, PF 10
Three years coaching and strategy director, magpies - PF 12

Just thinking if Clarko had any remote inkling of coming here vs staying at Hawthorn i think it's better they DON'T win the premiership.

If they win, then the lure of a three peat and making even more history would be too great to pass up, surely.

Conversely, if they lose, the burning desire to atone wouldn't be as massive given he's already won 2 with them. If they hadn't quite won one, I'd suggest the opposite but maybe he'll feel it's time for a fresh challenge with a younger squad?

$$$$$$ would help of course.

My delegation to convince him would be Fages, Nobes, Roo (sorry Chappy and Harps, you won't be required), as well as a massive contingent of our best players…don't just send Danger or VB…send the whole frickin lot of our best players, call em back from overseas if we must, get serious guys!! Present a united, enthusiastic front and put our talent front and centre, demanding that they want HIM to lead them to premiership success.

Just thinking if Clarko had any remote inkling of coming here vs staying at Hawthorn i think it's better they DON'T win the premiership.

If they win, then the lure of a three peat and making even more history would be too great to pass up, surely.

Conversely, if they lose, the burning desire to atone wouldn't be as massive given he's already won 2 with them. If they hadn't quite won one, I'd suggest the opposite but maybe he'll feel it's time for a fresh challenge with a younger squad?

My delegation to convince him would be Fages, Nobes, Roo (sorry Chappy and Harps, you won't be required), as well as a massive contingent of our best players…don't just send Danger or VB…send the whole frickin lot of our best players, call em back from overseas if we must, get serious guys!! Present a united, enthusiastic front and put our talent front and centre, demanding that they want HIM to lead them to premiership success.

We already sent Danger to talk about the "IR Game" with him.

that's a good point, I hadn't considered the three-peat potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back