James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given the way that the salary cap is able to be negotiated around, the rules that control it, and player trading I expect a 7 year contract to become less of a problem. Whilst there was a lot of shock and drama about Buddy's contract, the writing was on the wall then and has only become clearer since. Only bad managers can't move on players when they want no matter the contract. I'm not talking about breaking contracts but the changing landscape of our player movements.

There is a desire in many quarters to make our trade, payments and draft systems similar to the ones that prevail in the US. In which case players can look forward to playing for one team and being paid by another (not uncommon). Players being delisted mid season. Managers "stock piling" cap space (look at the changes to the rules, if you miss player payment cap this year you can use it next). Managers will front load, back load, give performance bonuses or signing bonuses, fine players, swap next years picks and trade players without consent. At the moment the players get to whine when they don't go where they want and then they get FA so they can do it anyway. I wonder how long it is before the clubs like the Dogies or Saints point out that they get shafted by everyone. The rules will change and the power will role back to the clubs.

7 year contract, pift. By the time we get to year 5 the rules will be different. Not an issue in my book.

Wow 7 years... More I think about it, the more I want him. He can swing forward, is an aa full back..... I guess the main thing though is that his heart has to be in it... If it's not, then ship him to west coast. He'd want to be running better than Sylvia that's for sure

I would say 2020, but deals can be made with the AFL.

Brisbane kept Voss on their list after he had retired as they could not afford to pay out his salary in the previous years salary cap.

Not ideal, as it takes a spot on your list.
They had to keep Fev's pay in the cap for the 2 years after he was fired. Unless the club and player negotiate a way to cut ties - ie. a player retires with a year remaining on their contract, delisting/booting a player still means we have to fulfill their contractual obligations. We had to pay Jack Anthony out the last year of his contract (sorry to bring it up).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-11/clock-ticking-on-veterans-allowance

THE VETERANS' allowance is more likely to be phased out over time than cut immediately if it is scrapped as part of the AFL's equalisation push.

The allowance – which allows clubs to pay 10-year players $118,380 outside the salary cap – remains the subject of debate as the mid-term review of the Collective Bargaining Agreement moves nearer to completion.

The AFL advised clubs pre-season it wanted to abolish the veterans' allowance and replace it with an extra $400,000 in the salary cap to achieve its equalisation policy objective to remove draft anomalies.

Right, didn't realise that. Cheers for the info.

The real point, which was really directed at some other poster not you I now realise, is that even if the AFL keep the VA, Frawley would not qualify for it (unless he played here until he's 36+ ) so any money we fork up will have to come out of the TPP proper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the club are going to go hard HARD for Ryder. Unlikely by the sounds of it, in terms of he's been linked with teams in Qld, NSW and SA - but he's a WA boy, so there might be at least a sniff of interest. And at the least we'd make the others have to pay more to get him.

But I tell ya - if he ends up at Sydney... well the AFL can just GAGF for all I care. :mad:

And I'd prefer he didn't go to Port - they're good enough already. :$

Talking about these players who are being put up on the trade table, I actually had a funny talk the other day about Mitch Robinson and Fremantle. What do people think about him, could we / would we want someone like him?

I hope the club are going to go hard HARD for Ryder. Unlikely by the sounds of it, in terms of he's been linked with teams in Qld, NSW and SA - but he's a WA boy, so there might be at least a sniff of interest. And at the least we'd make the others have to pay more to get him.

But I tell ya - if he ends up at Sydney... well the AFL can just GAGF for all I care. :mad:

And I'd prefer he didn't go to Port - they're good enough already. :$

Wouldn't it be ironic if we somehow land Paddy Ryder and Luke McPharlin retires -- a year after Ryder got three weeks from the MRP for a high bump on Luke that put him out of action for two weeks.

Few things, though:

1. Will Ryder take legal action and win unrestricted free agency, citing Essendon's negligence in its role in the supplements scandal?
2. If Ryder goes that route and is rejected, what would clubs give up for him in a trade?
3. What impact will Ryder's getting an ASADA show cause notice have on his career? Would he be looking at a punishment similar to Kurt Tippett's and miss half of next season?

Wouldn't it be ironic if we somehow land Paddy Ryder and Luke McPharlin retires -- a year after Ryder got three weeks from the MRP for a high bump on Luke that put him out of action for two weeks.

Few things, though:

1. Will Ryder take legal action and win unrestricted free agency, citing Essendon's negligence in its role in the supplements scandal?
2. If Ryder goes that route and is rejected, what would clubs give up for him in a trade?
3. What impact will Ryder's getting an ASADA show cause notice have on his career? Would he be looking at a punishment similar to Kurt Tippett's and miss half of next season?

Going on what you said, I've been discussing this for awhile and I think that the reason Fremantle wanting to recruit is not because we need to but it's out of desperation so that McPharlin can maybe retire. I think if we don't land someone, regardless if they can do the role as well as McPharlin then McPharlin will basically be trying to force his body into next season.

As for Ryder, depending on how the appeals go next post Grand Final it seems he will most likely get a suspension regardless where he ends up. Although, I wonder if teams are going to lowball the offers because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back