Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Power can whinge about the umpiring, which is cute, but its not often that a club of their stage in development can play at the G in front of 75000 in a knockout final. They'll be better for the experience and start next year as one of the front runners.

As for us, we've now 18/54'd with a chance at immortality. What a club we all have the pleasure of supporting!

Langford...geez he's got something special. Awesome to watch. Duryea was hard at it as well.

I'm off to get someone to jump on my gut to relieve the pressure... well done boys

Port Adelaide are scary, such a fast team. Well done boys, great effort to hold on.
Was an awesome game, don't think next week will be as close a contest
Have a great week (very jealous) and smash the Swans next week.
BTW thought umps did ok from a neutral point, were some missed for both and umps may have saved you in the end as they were coming.

View attachment 81282
how was that holding the ball in the last minute, also 8 frees to 1 in the second quarter. that gunston free..... in a 3 point game, what a joke.

hawks deserved the win, we kicked ourselves out of it early, yes we got a couple of soft ones late but please open your eyes.

Why focus on the 2nd quarter instead of the entire game 17-21 or if youre going to focus on a part of the game how about the 3goals from umpiring decisions to Port in the last qtr. Bottom line is that we bossed most of that game. Some s**t umpiring and probably some "getting ahead of ourselves" let you back into the final quarter. We should have won by at least 4.

Luke Hodge...where is he at?

He is on the bottom of the pack, winning a free, putting us through to a prelim, that's where.
You'll be pleased to know we're through to a GF mate! Even better :p

Hard to swallow but credit to you lads. Hard faught battle til the last second and you earned it. I speak on behalf of a lot of AFL & Port fans when I say we'll be backing you lads next week as mentioned on our preview threads throughout the week, you'll incinerate sydney if you play the hard style football we all expect from you. Well done and onward to next year.

Well done. It was a heartbreaking way to end the game for us (and a heart-stopping one for you) but you took the opportunities when they presented themselves. Also, we had no answer for Roughead's versatility.

All the best for next week. I would say that I hope you wipe Sydney off the ground but for the fear they would just buy a whole heap more players in response.

The last 15 minutes was just mayhem. I thought we had the game sealed at that stage, but Port's legendary finishing nearly got us in the end.

Will Langford seemed to be in every midfield contest in the last few minutes.

With Port only behind by 4 points with two minutes to go, it looked like the end of our season, but Hodge's desperate smother at the end was the decisive action that saved the game.

In the post-match interview he claimed he was so tired he just tripped and ended up falling on the ball. :D

Spangher and Ceglar's fate for the grand final could be decided by the form of McEvoy and Schoenmakers in Box Hill grand final tomorrow.

The two of them only had to play an average game and they would have been guaranteed a grand final. Spangher especially can consider himself lucky if he is picked next week. He gives a contest every time, but hardly ever wins it decisively.

Duryea was borderline best 22 before this game, but what a great game he played, most as a midfielder. It will be great in the future if we can have defender who also takes part in the midfield rotations.

Something I learned about Port Adelaide today is that Robbie Gray is always the most dangerous player on the field, even when someone else has kicked six goals with a quarter to go.

Port are a very good side who don't have a weakness against any particular opposition. They match up particularly well against us. I'm mightily relieved we managed to beat them. I was even more nervous in the last few minutes than in the Geelong prelim last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you guys sick of the heart attack inducements every prelim final yet?

As a neutral my heart was in my bloody throat for that last quarter.... Took me right back to 2012

How many Prelims in a row now has it been less than a goal result?

Four...

2011 - 3 points v Collingwood
2012 - 5 points v Adelaide
2013 - 5 points v Geelong
2014 - 3 points v Port Adelaide

Absolutely over it!

As a neutral my heart was in my bloody throat for that last quarter.... Took me right back to 2012

4 in row. I can't take it anymore.

4 prelims decided by 16 points in total.

Luke Hodge!!!!!

I may have almost had a heart attack.

A little worried about Lewis, hopefully he pulls up well.

I can't at people writing us off, Port were great, I do however believe we were better (a couple of crappy umpire decisions kept them in it), we've also got to remember that Port are a much better team than Port and that Sydney are a completely different side.

I though hill played well until that moment in the 50. There might be some changes next week, and I feel sorry for those that may have to make way.

That's 4 in a row with 3 wins 1 loss!!!

I'm over it!!!

Prelim finals are the most excruciating experience, so nervous all week.

Well played by Will Langford & he's very serious in post match interviews, MMM didn't know how to take him.

General views around the media is the Lewis "should" be ok. And now we've still got Cyril in the wings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back