Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are the true internet hero. You own everyone.

Well done.
How's it going? Tell me, have you decided whether performance should be a factor in selection or not?

You were having some difficulty making up your mind last time we chatted.

Why's that? We need to?

If someone wants to lock in Watson because he's 'good for 20-30', I'd suggest that invites a follow-up question. Is that now the threshold for being an automatic selection?
We need to stop having the debate as in Watto shouldn't be in the side.
I think we agree here.

Really? How so. Warner looks very assured against spin to me. Uses his feet really well and doesn't get pushed back onto his stumps like Watto does/will against decent spin.

He thumps spin on hard bouncy aus/SA pitches but warner has looked all at sea on slower tracks and big turning tracks in india/wi/eng.

I would say warner is like a lot of our blokes that way, on our pitches they just look to murder spinners but as soon as they get in spinning conditions which require them to actually have a game plan outside of hit and hope they look lost.

Warner or watto or any number of our blokes i would back them to give ashwin and jadeja a good old thump at home in a few months time but i wouldn't back any of them to average over 30 in india vs those same bowlers.

Last edited:
  1. Warner (not yet done a thing on low slow decks, India was horrid for him even against medium pace; but has done well in Aus and South Africa so deservedly keeps his spot and hopefully adjusts)
  2. Hughes (don't want to play him, but you can only pick from what is available)
  3. Rogers (yes, it breaks the opening partnership but it keeps Hughes and Watson away from starting against spin)
  4. Clarke
  5. Smith
  6. Maxwell (don't want to play him, but you can only pick from what is available - basically as a batsman, Smith as the back-up spinner; could easily be Watson at #6 except, well, spinners)
  7. Haddin
  8. Johnson
  9. Starc (don't want to play him, but you can only pick from what is available and while conditions might favour two spinners Australia's options agains a team who can play spin do not - O'Keefe is no Herath)
  10. Siddle (going to need to do a lot of work in both games)
  11. Lyon (considered O'Keefe, as the bounce that Lyon uses won't be there, but keep Lyon at least for the first)
In short, we have maybe half a team for the conditions. And its not even likely to be rank turners, just low, slow, with moderate spin.

Could drop Starc, with Marsh at any of 6, 7 or 8.

I'd rather have the Rug than Starc at present as a second paceman.

No. But it's more than I expect from Hughes or Doolan
You want to stick with Mr 20-30 while also drawing a line through all the alternatives.

That's nonsense. If Watson can't do better than that, we have to give other players an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rogers
Warner
Doolan
Clarke/Maxwell
Smith
M. Marsh
Haddin
O'Keefe
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Lyon

Seriously lack of batting depth on the tour, no matter how much you want to believe Hughes has improved against spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back