Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Would really like to see Breust kicking bags of 3 again...

Next week would be a great time to start again...

Maybe kick a few extra to make up for the lack of them in the last few weeks?

Wow. Just wow.
Great result, albeit scarily close when it was looking relatively safe towards the end.

Was seated in the GSS and boy the Port fans made a hell of a lot of noise! I don't know if there was much Hawks noise up the other end (my hearing isn't great at the best of times) but I couldn't hear much from us which was a shame given it was our turf.

Despite having a contrasting prelim to the Swans, I can't help but think it may just work in our favour in terms of hitting the ground running, although both teams realistically should be experienced enough to know what is required on the day.

Loved seeing Roughy end up with 6 despite struggling to get in it early, at least on the scoreboard. Made that bit sweeter given the kerfuffle about Buddy's huge 5 goals. A subtle 'anything you can do...' I reckon :D

A lot of blokes down on their games tonight, but once again we still managed to find a way to win.

Looking forward to enjoying the usual build up that comes with Grand Final week, starting with the BHH Granny tomorrow at the cricket pitch/concert arena/whatever they're calling it these days.

Langers - you are a superstar mate!

Seriously Hawthorn, just once I'd like to enjoy a Prelim Final without having a freakin coronary. I mean to say... wtf? Do we have to do this every freakin time??
It's deliberate. The boys know it sells more Premiership box sets ;)

With Roughead kicking 6 goals that takes his tally to 70 goals from 22 games @ 3.18 goals per game this year which is his highest ever goal average in a season. That's the third time in his career he has now kicked over 70 goals and he's done it back to back. No player has kicked more goals in the competition over the last two years.

2008: 25 games - 75 goals = 3
2013: 25 games - 72 goals = 2.88
2014: 22 games - 70 goals = 3.18

Just watched the final quarter again. The last 10 minutes was just bloody awful, shameful. No other way to describe it and there'd be a bit of soul searching by a few blokes. I've seen more composure and bloody order at a Sex Pistols concert. A bit of time in the boxing ring with Clarko during the week might straighten things out.

F**k, got nothing to add apart from the fact that I am mightily relieved, I sent a txt out when we were 5 ahead claiming victory (I have never been one that gets ahead of myself) as soon as I had done so, it all happened, I honestly thought we were gone, we had some big players stand up for us late because they were like a fkng freight train, overall we were poor but still felt we had their measure, with the exception of their missed shots early in the game, Port are a quality side that are well coached, they will be there abouts next year no doubt about it, this could be a good kick up the arse tonight that can be taken into next week, that was genuine finals footy, bring on the COLA boys on Sat, gee I cant wait, another Hawks GF, GO HAWKS

Learn this lesson and all will be forgiven :)

With Roughead kicking 6 goals that takes his tally to 70 goals from 22 games @ 3.18 goals per game this year. Which is his highest ever goal average in a season ever. That's the third time in his career he has now kicked over 70 goals.

2008: 25 games - 75 goals = 3
2013: 25 games - 72 goals = 2.88
2014: 22 games - 70 goals = 3.18

Now that's an omen I can really dig :thumbsu:

Still coming down from the game.

Somehow we snatched victory from a game that could easily have been lost for a number of reasons.

In hindsight, our selection decisions were wrong. Suckling had one great passage of play but otherwise was fairly anonymous for most of the game. Thanks to the efforts of Langford in particular, Hawthorn didn't miss Sewell too much in the clinches, but Suckling did little to justify his selection (save for his goal, of course).
[\QUOTE]

Without that goal we lose :) Although I think Sewell would have been left for dust by port's pace; he's a chance to come in, maybe for suckling (even though different roles) with Sydney likely to provide more pressure and therefore less opportunity for suckling to get free and kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worried when the coaches are searching for a role for Spang. He had no place in the team tonight.

Issac Smith made horrid decisions with the ball.
I think Shiels just lacks that bit of class and polish and it showed tonight.

Forward line dysfunctional. Bruest, Gunner quite. I actually think Bruest has been losing form for a little while now.

Ceglar, if he ain't taking grabs he probably loses his spot to Bb.

Overall I thought we struggled badly. I think we may have been out coached too. So to win is very lucky/good.

Looking for huge improvement next week.

Sorely miss the magic of a fit and firing Cyril.

I think Port probably challenges our team most for match ups.
We probably match up better against Sydney because of their more traditional tall forwards.
Spang will have a role next week.

I NEVER hang on to stuff like this but I don't feel excited yet cos I'm still fuming from that monfries free that started their hope come back. .. angry!

Exactly. I drove 300km home after the game and I was seriously fuming all the way. I wanted to feel excited and enjoy the moment but damn it's hard. The standard of umpiring is totally unacceptable for such a big game. Hopefully their incompetence has cost them a gig next week.

Well played today guys. You took your chances and that's what it is about at this time of year. Enjoyed the atmosphere at the ground, plenty of good banter! Hope you win next week; 1) because it is the COLA's; 2) because if you do I will feel like we are not far away. ;)

I went to the game in Adelaide earlier this year and must admit the thing that struck me was the good natured banter at the ground. Contrary to some of the things I had heard which is usually rubbish anyway I found the Port supporters good fun and really enjoying a night's entertainment. Think you guys have really got something going there. Good luck next year.

a14b250e6ed9b64b30ea9e3c0620ad0c.jpg

"Geezuz... and I thought that Death Star s**t was too close!!!!"

I think Port probably challenges our team most for match ups.
We probably match up better against Sydney because of their more traditional tall forwards.
Spang will have a role next week.

I agree with this absolutely. The way to beat Hawthorn is with run, run, run and small forwards!

I'm far more confident about our chances against Sydney

Sorry for the intrusion lads..

Thought i'd drag my crestfallen arse in here to congratulate you lot on a magnificent win, and a magnificent game- exactly the way finals should be played!

In the end, your finals experience and class won out and we didn't take our chances. All part of the learning process for my club to take the next step.

Now- for the football fraternity- beat those COLA given mongrels and prove the flag is won by internal talent and heart, and not the almighty dollar.

Good luck lads!

I had to work tonight , was fed updates during the game and only got to watch the last 5 minutes live on one of the guys phone.
I thought I was going to faint, had a sick stomach just watching the game almost slip away. Thank goodness for Hodge and Lake's actions late.
If we fade like that next week, I dont hold much hope for us. Gotta be better.

Love this paragraph from Jake Niall in The Age . . . And in particular this . . .

Will Langford's father made his name by curtailing champions such as Stephen Kernahan in grand finals. Langford the younger also played a critical role in Hawthorn's victory. He was sooled on to Port skipper Travis Boak, who had been as influential as any player in the opening half. Langford, a marginal player earlier this season, did more than restrict Boak – he had career highs for disposals, clearances (10) and contested balls.

. . . but most of all I love this club!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back