Opinion The Numbers Game; retirements, delistings and jumper swaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did Port Adelaide receive two second rounders for Chaplin + Pearce then?

Pick 29 for Pearce
Pick 30 for Chaplin

Did they change it or is it only if you lose a player and then bring a FA in that it changes?

If CJ was to retire I'd be giving #4 to J Billings.

We seem very keen to give our prime numbers to those older types we bring in though.

#1- Hickey
#5- Savage
#8- TDL
#9- Lee
#18- Longer

which means that if that continues many of our "gun kids" are going to end up stuck with their relatively ordinary numbers.

Which they can create legends of their own in ;)

Ling #45
Goodes #37
Kouta #43

etc

I would leave Billings as no.15. Its low and distinctive enough on its own.

Dunstan needs 100% to go into the no.7 its not even funny.

I wouldnt mind our next KPF to go into no.4 though.

I originally was thinking Dunstan should go #7, but now I'm thinking he should take something like #4 (STA).

Let him carve his own niche/identity at the Saints.

Might even want to keep #36, who knows.

I originally was thinking Dunstan should go #7, but now I'm thinking he should take something like #4 (STA).

Let him carve his own niche/identity at the Saints.

Might even want to keep #36, who knows.

There was a video on the Guernsey numbers at the beginning of the year. He thought/hoped he was getting 15, and looked rather dejected when talking about 36. Reckon he'll be in Free Fall personally.

There was a video on the Guernsey numbers at the beginning of the year. He thought/hoped he was getting 15, and looked rather dejected when talking about 36. Reckon he'll be in Free Fall personally.
I remember that video and yep I think it's safe to say he'll want a lower number!

I was going to say I thought Billings played some of his juniors in 15 which is why he wanted it. Maybe that was Dunstan?

T'was an interesting video. 'Luke, number 36 - no player has ever played 100 games in that number, what are your thoughts?'

'Yep, it's certainly a number'.

Might have made that up, but yes. He'll be in a much higher number next year.

I was going to say I thought Billings played some of his juniors in 15 which is why he wanted it. Maybe that was Dunstan?

T'was an interesting video. 'Luke, number 36 - no player has ever played 100 games in that number, what are your thoughts?'

'Yep, it's certainly a number'.

Might have made that up, but yes. He'll be in a much higher number next year.
It won't happen but Luke should make history in 36 but still think 7 is his.

Bump.

Seeing as the numerical chats are beginning to arise, time to give them their thread back.

Numbers free

Acres will be in #8 next year according to reliable sources. Given phantom drafts etc, who would we like to see in what numbers?

Bump.

Seeing as the numerical chats are beginning to arise, time to give them their thread back.

Numbers free

Acres will be in #8 next year according to reliable sources. Given phantom drafts etc, who would we like to see in what numbers?
#4 - McKenzie
#8 - Acres
#32 - Petracca (see Dangerfield, P.)
#36 - draftee
#37 - draftee
#38 - draftee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet we pick up someone as steak knives from another club and give them no.4! In the last few years anyone who we've picked up from another club has pretty much walked straight into a good number. #1- Hickey, #5- Savage, #8- TDL, #9- Lee (originally from Adelaide, picked up in a trade), #18- Longer.

Those we pick up in the drafts are generally getting the "dud" numbers.

If players don't like high numbers they'll go down.

Last year TC dropped from 43 to 26. Other examples we've had 34 to 3 (Steven), 37 to 15 (Ledger), 38 to 4 (Ledger), 42 to 14 (Geary), 28 to 11 (Joey), 15 to 1 (Gram) etc.

Dunstan's also dropped from 36 to 7, & Acres will probably drop from 40 to 8.

Personally I like it better that way. By and Large let players prove themselves before giving them a lower number.

Weller will probably drop to 4 IMO

Templeton to 13
Acres to 8
Jacksh 19

Petracca 32
McKenzie 33
Lonie/Daniel 36
McLean/Cavarra 37

If players don't like high numbers they'll go down.

Last year TC dropped from 43 to 26. Other examples we've had 34 to 3 (Steven), 37 to 15 (Ledger), 38 to 4 (Ledger), 42 to 14 (Geary), 28 to 11 (Joey), 15 to 1 (Gram) etc.

Dunstan's also dropped from 36 to 7, & Acres will probably drop from 40 to 8.

Personally I like it better that way. By and Large let players prove themselves before giving them a lower number.
I don't necessarily have a problem with that (although if they all want to "go down" there won't be enough to go around), but I do have a bit of an issue with the like of TDL and Savage (who were both essentially "steak knives" or their equivalent) coming in and just being gifted single-digit numbers before they've proven anything.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that (although if they all want to "go down" there won't be enough to go around), but I do have a bit of an issue with the like of TDL and Savage (who were both essentially "steak knives" or their equivalent) coming in and just being gifted single-digit numbers before they've proven anything.
Savage was hardly steak knives...

Savage mustve been those steak knives that will cut through a can or a shoe but still stay nice and sharp.
But wait......there's more :thumbsu:
Call in the next 5 minutes and we'll give you a Liam Jones absolutely FREE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back