Aug 31, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mayes
Paparone
Staker
Dawson
Paine
IMO Mayes is more a small forward,Staker is shot and Paine doesn't look like making the level required. Paparone i guess is a third tall,but seems to play more as a roving tall wingman. My point was more just that we should be looking at anyone that can take a mark in the forward 50 and kick goals.

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
John Ralph when asked for his gut feel on Ryder by Ed & Derm stated 'I think he still goes to Brisbane', for what it is worth.
Did he say anything else?

From reading a lot of articles about Ryder in the last few weeks, I get the feeling the Herald Sun/Jay Clark is a step behind in proceedings.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dead set think he could make a massive impact in our team next year if he can get out on the park. Is no world beater but he could kick 30-40 goals.
no I don't think so. 30-40 goals is a huge ask for anyone in their first season especially being in a poor side like us. I think he will get 10 games next season and may snag a goal a game if played forward at best. Will need some time in the gym and a bit more work on his decision making. He reminds me a bit of a Hawks player who I can't seem to remember his name. One of their forwards/midfielders.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Did he say anything else?

From reading a lot of articles about Ryder in the last few weeks, I get the feeling the Herald Sun/Jay Clark is a step behind in proceedings.

Just that Port thought they were right in it & GWS are the outsider, but as I said when forced to provide a club he nominated us. It was interesting that he did say 'still'.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
BRISBANE has emphatically ruled out using the prized No. 4 draft pick in any trade to get ruckman Paddy Ryder.

Ryder dropped a bombshell on Essendon on Friday night when he said he wanted out of the club, leaving the Lions, Port Adelaide and GWS in the running for his signature.

Ryder can leave the Bombers through a trade or by activating a get-out clause in his contract that could be triggered by the supplements saga

It is understood he wants to be traded so the Bombers get something in return. Essendon would want a first-round draft pick plus a player in exchange for Ryder.

Brisbane will not be offering their top pick at November’s draft, should Ryder opt to join the Lions.

“It’s (the No. 4 draft pick) not on the table, not at all,’’ Brisbane CEO Greg Swann said.

“We are waiting for Paddy to make his decision. If he chooses us as his preferred club, it is up to us to start negotiations with Essendon about a trade.

“But pick four won’t be a part of it.’’

Ryder — who spent a few days in Brisbane last week — met with Port Adelaide officials in Melbourne on Friday night.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
no I don't think so. 30-40 goals is a huge ask for anyone in their first season especially being in a poor side like us. I think he will get 10 games next season and may snag a goal a game if played forward at best. Will need some time in the gym and a bit more work on his decision making. He reminds me a bit of a Hawks player who I can't seem to remember his name. One of their forwards/midfielders.
Totally agree. We need anyone who has proven to kick 30-40 goals a season. I hope we get Jeff Garlett and make Zorko a permanent midfielder like what port did with Robbie Gray.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good to see some reassurance that we are not giving up pick 4. This should be a reality check for the Essendon club and fans that we are not giving them a high pick and a quality player. Hopefully they have come down to earth.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think the original comment was talking about mcguane. His last 20 odd games at Richmond he did kick about 30-35 goals (two separate batches of about 10 games for 15 goals in 2012 and 2013) so 30-40 is 'possible' if he can bring that form. Not even sure if he can get on the park yet though.

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we should aim to keep our first 2 picks and offer Luey and Golby.

A little cold I know but they may get more opportunities else where.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we should aim to keep our first 2 picks and offer Luey and Golby.

A little cold I know but they may get more opportunities else where.
I understand where you are coming from, but I would not trade out ready mature players Leuy or Golby. That trade would only strengthen Essendon. Imagine if Leuy and Golby get their bodies right and play a full season in 2015. We would end up the losers. I would just offer our pick 23 and maybe add Jackson Paine, as a sweetener.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good to see some reassurance that we are not giving up pick 4. This should be a reality check for the Essendon club and fans that we are not giving them a high pick and a quality player. Hopefully they have come down to earth.

If you have been paying attention at all lately you would have realised that being divorced from reality is a prerequisite for being an Essendon supporter :)

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we are Ryder's preferred destination, it is becoming more likely in my eyes that we are seeing the end of Luey at Brisbane. I deluded myself in thinking that all 3 would play in the same team, but this isn't going to happen. Chasing Ryder means we don't think Luey can play as the 2nd ruck come forward. We are obviously all over Martin's form and believe he is our number 1 ruck.

It might just be a straight swap in the end, with maybe an upgrade for the bombers on the 3rd rd pick.

Pick 4 is up for trade once trade week starts! Don't kid yourself! Pick 4 is the starting point for D.Beams.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
player values for trades on bigfooty are just inflated supporter egos. no matter what club, just compare to what they want on here and what happens in reality. Ryder for example is a very good solid player , but A grader ?? not sure about that , has a huge suspension hanging over his head so market value mmm second pick at best and if crisp is going anyway wrap him up with it

example 2 what did we think we would get for polac ? first rounder what did we get ?

no way you buy a car from anyone on bigfooty !! hahaha

Back