Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookies only get a one year deal.

I think he meant more the 2 years crack at it. Most rookies get 2 years in the system to assess them. I guess Conway just didnt develop how they wanted him to.

I would suspect we are keen on Tyler Roos to, with such a big list gap to fill.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I think if Conway is really serious about his footy, it would be in his best interest to try his hand in one of the bigger of second tier comps such as the SANFL, WAFL or VFL.

I think if Conway is really serious about his footy, it would be in his best interest to try his hand in one of the bigger of second tier comps such as the SANFL, WAFL or VFL.

Head to the VFL and try to impress Collingwood enough. He should get a gig there next draft if he plays well in 2015.

thoselionslads

Club Legend
May 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Conway is too one dimensional for modern day footy. There is no question he showed ability as an inside midfielder, but a lack of athleticism, poor kick and inability to adapt to different roles really made it a no-brainer for the club IMO.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Conway is too one dimensional for modern day footy. There is no question he showed ability as an inside midfielder, but a lack of athleticism, poor kick and inability to adapt to different roles really made it a no-brainer for the club IMO.

Yep, if you are an inside mid with no outstanding attributes you better be a beast of a ball winner like Sam Mitchell or Matthew Boyd or you are going nowhere at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooey17

Rookie
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Liam Dawson, Matt Uebergang and Ben Keays are all named to play tomorrow in the NEAFL elimination final, Dawson for Aspley and the other two for Redland. No sign of Andrews.
Who is running or promoting the Neafl because whoever it is they need a size 10 up the arse,we had 2 Brisbane sides in final last week nothing in the paper and 1 little story on the website with 3 u/18s playing ,this week we have Aspley beating GWS to go into the grand final with 2 u/18s Dawson And Harris playing for them and again nothing in the courier mail what so ever, this is absolutely appalling ,this is the highest footy in Queensland and we are having nothing written anywhere ,shithouse

I'd think the media releases would be sent out, just no one bites. They might even get an intern to follow up and then not publish it or just squeeze it into a quest paper.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was until the restructure which gave the NEAFL clubs priority on players from their zones. Morningside fell under the Redland zone and they took him.

That's interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, Uebergang also plays for Redland but Hammelmann still plays for Morningside. Does that imply that Redland took one and passed on the other?

That's interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, Uebergang also plays for Redland but Hammelmann still plays for Morningside. Does that imply that Redland took one and passed on the other?

Both have played for Redlands this year Kevvo

bearslover1996

Debutant
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's interesting.

Both players got a game with Redlands but they did prefer Uebergang over Hammelmen (I think Uber played 3 or 4 games whereas Hammo only had the 1) Ubergang was with Western Magpies who also come under that zone. Both players were rookie listed with Redlands but they only chose to player Ubergang for the last few games which meant Hammelmen played for Lions ressies or Mornigside

The order of priority is:
NEAFL club (Redlands or Aspley for our boys)
Lions Reserves
QAFL club

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
Is Wagner the kid with a tank and a half on him?
Runs 16 beep test or close to and ran under 10min 3km from all reports
Lol, so that'd be a yes then. Jeebus!

Can he play?
Hasn't had the accolades of Keays but has had a pretty good year,I think the year Keays has had has taken a bit away from how well he has gone as an under ager as well
Rooey17 whatboutbob

Wagner (#17) for Qld vs Nth Ballarat (TAC Cup)
Thought he was close to BOG for Qld when I watched this game live - video review confirmed same.

I call these Clips, rather than highlights, because I don't "sugar coat", they're warts & all.

More, of Academy kids from this game, to follow, when I have time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back