Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiona Apple for mine.
Not a bonafide massive star though, always seemed to bubble as a bit more of a big alternative artist. A bit like Sky Ferreira. A great album artist.

KP and Swift did well but I never got the Beyonce hype, it just never appealed to me.

I always felt Lifehouse deserved a little more acclaim, particularly on their first few albums. At the time, they slotted in with all the post grunge acts, particularly those with a pretty boy deep voice singer. They also copped it at times for being somewhat Christian rock early on. Going one step further, I thought Stanley Climbfall was their best album, whereas their debut and S/T tended to get more love (due to housing some of their more famous ballads and hits).

Audioslave are another band I enjoyed in that period. Their 3 albums were all solid, even if one isn't into that kind of thing. I outgrew them fairly quickly, but they mastered their little niche. Some people tend to throw them in with the Nickelbacks of the world and the like, but Audioslave always released decent and interesting albums, different from their previous one as well.

I enjoyed the album lifehouse released a few years ago.

Audioslave didn't live up to the expectations for me, they sounded exactly like people imagined them to do and for that reason I think many outgrew them quickly. Cornell was having trouble with his voice during that time and his lyrics were becoming bit to poppy and political.

This song from the Fine Young Cannibals was one of the best songs from the 1980s, both music wise and video wise.

Powerful song and some great ska moves going on, I think it made the top 20 back in the day, should've been no.1 though.

Then they made no.1 with this pop dross, go figure.

I actually quite liked that song back in the day though, The Raw and the Cooked wasn't half bad tbh.

This song from the Fine Young Cannibals was one of the best songs from the 1980s, both music wise and video wise.

Powerful song and some great ska moves going on, I think it made the top 20 back in the day, should've been no.1 though.

Then they made no.1 with this pop dross, go figure.

I actually quite liked that song back in the day though, The Raw and the Cooked wasn't half bad tbh.

Good band.

That may be the lamest thing I've ever seen.

Well it's not the popular musical opinions thread so I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

How can you say that Johnny Come Home video is lame with some of the great ska moves going on?

Check out the knee drop at around 2.55, one of the coolest moves ever.

Good band.

They are an underrated 80s band and tend to be forgotten about these days.

The Raw and the Cooked was a massive album in 1989, was no.1 for on the album charts for ages and just about everyone at school had a copy.

This is another great track off it.

Dat London soul.

Last edited:
Another big hit for FYC was this cover of Suspicious Minds.

Sums up their soul roots and Roland Gift is a bloody talented singer/frontman in anyone's language.

If you don't like FYC I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
Another big hit for FYC was this cover of Suspicious Minds.

Sums up their soul roots and Roland Gift is a bloody talented singer/frontman in anyone's language.

If you don't like FYC I feel sorry for you.

I don't reckon we would agree on much musically Plugger but the FYC were an extremely good band.

They were about the best pop/soul/r&b band going around at one stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Hetfield can't sing.

AC-DC and Icehouse are good but Men At Work are horrible.
Hoodoo Gurus likewise.

INXS are grating on the ear.

The best remix of a song is Zero 7's take on Terry Callier's love theme from Spartacus.

Hot N Cold is Katy Perry's worst song.

Billy Corgan's got that sort of annoying voice that puts me off trying out other Smashing Pumpkins songs.

The most '90's song is Tokyo Ghetto Pussy (AKA Jam and Spoon) - Everybody On The Floor.

The worst song by an Australian is Holy Grail by Hunters and Collectors.

Stop Crying Your Heart Out is Oasis' best song.

AC-DC's best song is Spoilin' For a Fight.
It's a Long Way to the Top is s**t.

U2 are the worst thing to exist.
Bono thinks his s**t doesn't stink.
Bono is music's version of Roger Federer.
I don't find either of them likable.

Amazing post up there, Hunters and Collectors are also probably one of the most uncool bands ever. So, so cringeworthy – it's like the "Aussie Aussie Aussie" s**t all garbled up into chords and throaty vocals. Appalling.

Unfortunately, though, Hot N Cold is potentially my favourite KP song and Smashing Pumpkins are a good band. I like his vocals.

Speaking of Smashing Pumpkins though, I reckon bands becoming s**t is almost entertaining and good for music. It balances out the "what if?"s of the music world and is, in my opinion, better than coming back after 10, 15 years and pissing on your legacy or just not really adding anything worthwhile to it – except Blur, who should release that new album now.

Speaking of Blur, Think Tank is amazingly underrated and would've been their best, cohesive album (along with 13) if Coxon stayed on. Battery in Your Leg is so unique... it's the electronic, synthetic follow up to that rugged, natural, raw sounding 13.

Here's an unpopular opinion, I pirate my music and only pay money to artists when I see them live (If I particularly like them). Music is overpriced (same with movies), band merch is over priced and the artists barely get any of the money from me if I buy an album; that s**t goes straight to the record labels. If Albums were generally $5 for a 10 song tracklist I'd be fine paying that, $10 for a proper album of more than 12 songs. But with places like Spotify I just can't justify paying $17 for an album that came out 8 years ago.

What's sad is I also thought I was the king of finding underground sites to get music, there hasn't been a single album I haven't been able to find until now. Tom's Lunch EP by The Phoenix Foundation. It purely doesn't exist.

I agree with a comment Thom Yorke once made, if i had a choice out of an album made with just a computer or with the bass, guitar and drums combo. I'd take the computer everytime

Further to my Aussie stuff, Cold Chisel are really just drunk men who've got an excellent strike rate.

Khe Sanh's overplayed.

Well Barnesy was, he was pretty much shitfaced for most of Cold Chisel's gigs, amazing he could perform as well as he did.

Their stuff might get overplayed but Don Walker is a great songwriter, wrote some classic songs.

The stuff he did with his own band Catfish was great too.

Gareth Liddiard/The Drones are the best example of doing their job of succeeding in the mainstream culture without losing the authenticity of their original unique sound.

Gareth Liddiard/The Drones are the best example of doing their job of succeeding in the mainstream culture without losing the authenticity of their original unique sound.

The majority of average music listeners haven't even heard of them though. Still very much an indie rock/cult kind of thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back