2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that's unfair, but in the current situation it won't happen unfortunately.

It's much more likely to be a late first/early second round pick and if Kerr does a good job, maybe a fringe player that has shown a bit and might flourish with a different regime.

Paddy has approached us, we're not looking to poach him ... so it's going to be a bit rough for the Dons.

Perhaps he's happy to go to either Port or Bris ... and whoever gives the best deal might win. It's just that we've already got decent ruck stocks ... so we're not desperate.

way to steal my posts' thunder :(

thanks guys, by the sounds of it the club might be more into dealing with gws/port then i guess you have his position pretty well covered and would be more into getting beams…paine and a 2nd rounder would be a kick in the balls IMHO

I don't get the whole "Luey/Merrett/ whoever has been loyal this club" business. It's not like these players have turned down huge offers to move to other clubs. What makes Luenberger any more loyal than any other player that's played for one club? If teams went by that theory no one would ever get traded unless they asked or were a total spud. I'm all for keeping popular players at the Lions,but if it's between becoming a better side and winning games or being too scared to make hard calls and hurt players feelings I know which one I'd choose.

I think the only time the F word should be used on this board is in inverted commas.

"Fair"

"Fair" can get ****ed after what happened to us last year. If there is anything "fair" about the world, Ryder will come to us at a below market price, to start to make up for what we copped last year, which was far from "fair".

But, because the world isn't "fair", Port will pick up Ryder at a reduced price, on top of securing Polec, Ebert etc at less than their true value.

"Fair" dinkum.

thanks guys, by the sounds of it the club might be more into dealing with gws/port then i guess you have his position pretty well covered and would be more into getting beams…paine and a 2nd rounder would be a kick in the balls IMHO
I suspect 2nd rounder + Crisp is about the best the Lions would be prepared to offer.

I don't get the whole "Luey/Merrett/ whoever has been loyal this club" business. It's not like these players have turned down huge offers to move to other clubs. What makes Luenberger any more loyal than any other player that's played for one club? If teams went by that theory no one would ever get traded unless they asked or were a total spud. I'm all for keeping popular players at the Lions,but if it's between becoming a better side and winning games or being too scared to make hard calls and hurt players feelings I know which one I'd choose.

Vossy (and his then trade team) thought the same thing and the follow-on effect was not ideal.

There is a balance, I guess.

Vossies problem was that he tried to trade 2 form players for a drunken knob and decided to add about 4 more iffy/past it players.

That's right ...

"Culture" is a bit of a sensitive issue at the Lions I suppose because 5 young guys left last year that we may have been able to keep if we'd had a better welfare department/more inclusive club culture.

It's indirectly related and I think the level heads that we now have at the helm of the club would think very long and hard before trading any of our more senior guys.

The way I see it:

If we get Ryder for cheap - offer Leuey for Beams (that pushes it over the line for me - he is a great player).
If we don't get Ryder - we don't trade Leuey at all.
We don't trade Leuey to get the "upgrade"(?) of Ryder.

Proximity to family may not be that important. Ryder doesn't want to be too close to his family in WA apparently. His wife may feel the same way about her family. Maybe she'd like to be a good days drive away? So Sydney it is.

But still, a woman likes to be near her mum, yere nah Brisbane it is!

Given the reported reason for him approaching us in the first place was because of his wife's family up here, I think it's a fair assumption that proximity to family might be a factor in their decision.

BTW anyone doing Sydney to Brisbane in a single day with a small child is nuts, speaking as someone who's done it with (multiple days) and without (single day) one. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the only time the F word should be used on this board is in inverted commas.

"Fair"

"Fair" can get ****** after what happened to us last year. If there is anything "fair" about the world, Ryder will come to us at a below market price, to start to make up for what we copped last year, which was far from "fair".

But, because the world isn't "fair", Port will pick up Ryder at a reduced price, on top of securing Polec, Ebert etc at less than their true value.

"Fair" dinkum.
Yeah..Fair crack of the whip and it sounds like bomber supporters are living in fair y land...

I agree in principle but the truth is that club culture plays a massive part of Australian Rules club football.

You have discussed Voss in another post so I will use that as an example. At face value Voss attempted to win a flag by hard edged trading of a player that was a premiership winning club stalwart and a younger player who had been here at the end of that era and may have been aware of the culture. It failed. If he had won a flag it would have been great coaching but the opposite occurred and there was questions over loyalty of the club to players. "we are not soccer" for example was said among other things.

So taking that into consideration Rog has been loyal to the club from day one, made no fuss about his contract, has played roles outside of his preferred position and I believe has even played under duress due to injury. Luey has signed without fuss when he to could have easily shopped himself around to the highest bidder, (he would have been a very tasty recruit for teams in the finals) and has also played with injury when we were bereft of adequate back up and probably has paid the penalty physically for that.

As I said at the start of my post in principle I agree but we are not EPL where fans and players (to a lessor degree admittedly) "enjoy" the free for all transfer of players and sackings of managers. To suddenly on a whim turf these players brings back the perception of "crazy Vossy" and all the other nonsense that goes with that. We have to tread very carefully in how we deal with all this from a media and public point of view.

It would appear that Leppa is turning the culture around so maintaining that is a top priority. In saying that we don't want to lose out on a trade that could improve us because we are to cautious.

Mentioning him in a trade doesn't meant people don't rate him. It's just an understanding that you don't give up complete rubbish for something of quality.

For whatever reason Crisp is out of contract at the pointy end of the year which puts him in the realm of trade discussions.

Yep.

Its late September and Crisp is yet to re-sign. There's been plenty of time for Brisbane and his management to negotiate terms so it's probably not a two vs three year contract, or salary or anything like that to be resolved.

Possibly we're waiting to see how the trade period works out, possibly we're trying to get a sense of how many players we rate we can get in the draft, possibly there are other scenarios that mean there's still a chance that he'll be on our list next year.

But it seems likely that either we're not sold on keeping Crisp or Crisp isn't sold on staying at Brisbane. Either way I'm sure he'll come up in trade negotiations.

Your club will be negotiating the best possible deal they can.....On a plus side, the Bombers' list and recruiting manager Robb Kerr has worked at Brisbane as National Talent manager...He would have a better knowledge of our list and the value the club has of those players than any one on BF.

Dean Warren stated that Crisp was close to signing recently. I don't think he is going anywhere. The way he played late in the year showed everyone that he has a big future.

I get where you're coming from John, completely valid points. My thinking with Luey and Merrett is that if they can be traded for better quality than it's in the best interests of the club. As much as fans like familiar players,they like to seem wins more. Luey is ultra talented and I'd love to see him fit and firing,but he's been on the list for what,8 years and has barely played a complete season without injury. Merrett is more form based for me,he's near the end of his career and as much as he's a top guy,his contributions on the field are barely enough to keep him in the starting 22. In saying that,what we'd get for Rog wouldn't be much so it wouldn't be worth shopping him around.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-21/polk-wants-to-dance-again

Obviously no one's going to offer us anything in trade for him, but I really hope someone picks Polkinghorne up as a delisted free agent. I always thought he'd be a good footballer for us and I reckon there's still something to work with.

Maybe as a rookie at Geelong or somewhere, who are in their window but aren't struggling with list space.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-21/polk-wants-to-dance-again

Obviously no one's going to offer us anything in trade for him, but I really hope someone picks Polkinghorne up as a delisted free agent. I always thought he'd be a good footballer for us and I reckon there's still something to work with.

Maybe as a rookie at Geelong or somewhere, who are in their window but aren't struggling with list space.
Bet my left nut (the smaller one) that Carlton grab him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back