Non essendon supporters what if this was your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

It would need a similar set of circumstances, and a James Hird figure to make it happen. Also it needs a Stephen Dank character.

Dank tried to get into several AFL clubs and was shown the door.

It is possible, but looking back Essendon was the most likely club.

How I would feel? Pretty bad if it had been my club given our recent success.

I think it's easy to say in hindsight what you would/should do. I suspect initially all of us would side with our club. But surely once the information started stacking up against them, most of us would be starting to ask questions and demand answers. I guess also because it as an absolute legend of the club that is involved makes it that much harder.

What did Carlton supporters do with the salary cap saga. We threw out everyone involved post haste. Took our vicious punishment from Evans and moved on. Essendon supporters however seem to have a different moral/ethical outlook

Yeah was thinking the same thing we coped our big wack, cleaned out the problems, it prob put us back a decade or so were finally recovering... Just need some players with a bit more heart ;)

There's prob already a thread on this but could see it.....

Say if this was your club, and your club icons involved in this saga would you drink the kool-aid and blindly believe that what ever they said was gospel?

Would you demand the club answer the charge?
You would support your club and pray that they survived the fallout and recovered, Richmond has had plenty of practice at surviving the odd crisis after all:(.
But I wouldn't support the individuals involved and I certainly wouldn't have supported the selfish legal action.

You would support your club and pray that they survived the fallout and recovered, Richmond has had plenty of practice at surviving the odd crisis after all:(.
But I wouldn't support the individuals involved and I certainly wouldn't have supported the selfish legal action.
Not if drugs were involved....I'd want everyone even remotely implicated out, never to be allowed back

It'd be a hard call to make because I've been with them from the start, but if this happened at Freo, and it got to this stage, they wouldn't be my club anymore. I couldn't support a team that risks the long term health of its players, lies to its players, fans & the AFL, and has the nerve to ask for donations to cover up their tracks.

Not if drugs were involved....I'd want everyone even remotely implicated out, never to be allowed back
Yes I'm the same. Particular once it came out that they were using experimental drugs. To me that is unforgivable.

I would expect the board to keep the coach, despite what his done to my players.

I would then expect my club to pay a fine by the AFL, then wish my coach to stay and send him on a 1 year holiday to France, for a "business trip"

I would then wait till something happens, then goto court, to show who is the real boss of this saga.

Essendon handled it perfectly, they deserve nothing but happiness and a fairy tale ending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I'd certainly be outraged if we spent a heap of money on a court case without being able deliver one argument backing the contention. Its not just that they comprehensively lost in court, they never even built a case.

I would probably be like many EFC supporters, hoping the players get off but knowing they shouldn't. I would definitely want a clean-out of all involved; and that is one of the problems - right now, who was genuinely invovled and who got sucked into it after the fact is still unclear.

But frankly, if we did anything like this I suspect the AFL would have terminated our licence long ago.

I think it's easy to say in hindsight what you would/should do. I suspect initially all of us would side with our club. But surely once the information started stacking up against them, most of us would be starting to ask questions and demand answers. I guess also because it as an absolute legend of the club that is involved makes it that much harder.

To me, it would have no difference if it were my club Carlton, a club i don't like in Essendon, or one of the many clubs i have little feeling for.

It is about what a small group of people did. THAT IS ALL.

A small group of people acted like utter scumbags these last 3 years.

Expose them and don't let their filthy actions and constant lies stand just because they were/are employed by the club you support.

They only represent you if you let them define you.

Yes I'm the same. Particular once it came out that they were using experimental drugs. To me that is unforgivable.

Even if I was 50/50 the experimental drugs would have been the final straw using the players as guinea pigs and not even knowing who was given what when is unforgivable

In one way it is a very simple question, however on a slight broader basis, a very tough one.

The easy part. What we have seen here is a systematic doping program, designed, orchestrated and managed by the club itself. That is reprehensible and down entirely to James Hird. There can be no other logical explanation other than this was his baby (for anyone interested who hasn't yet seen it, I highly recommend the video of Dr Harcourt's presentation to the doping conference in Europe. Totally unguarded and frank in his summary of what went on at EFC), as such, Hird will ultimately pay the price of his actions. If Brisbane did this today then I would fully support every single person who was involved and or had knowledge of the program to be sacked and banned from sport for life.

The harder part. It is my view that the use of PED's in professional sport including the AFL is endemic. EFC situation is unique. A very rare bird indeed is how Harcourt described it. At every other club the drug use is at the individual athlete level. This obviously means "The Club" is not at risk, however, the players are still taking the drugs. In my mind the bigger question is how we can pressure the AFL and indeed other sporting codes to actually put in place circumstances which lead to a reduction of the actual use of drugs rather than a set of circumstances which provides the code with plausible deniability.

I would want anyone implicated in this type of program out the door. That would include any players who went along with it, let's face it, they would have to be imbeciles not to know something dodgy was going on (even Kyle Reimers knew something was up!)

I have seen first hand how people are blindly loyal to the champions of their club though. At West Coast games I was regularly asked while standing in ques (food, drinks, toilet etc) if I was "for Ben" by other West Coast supporters during the Cousins saga. When I stated that I was "for West Coast" not one of its players that had done the wrong thing by himself and the club, the conversation usually ended abruptly.

Even to this day you come across people who think Cousins was somehow hard done by by the AFL and the club.

The club is always bigger than the individual, just don't tell James Hird that.

Even if I was 50/50 the experimental drugs would have been the final straw using the players as guinea pigs and not even knowing who was given what when is unforgivable
That is probably the worst thing about this whole saga. It reeks of being completely untrue simply through being unbelievable, yet it is hardly a defence for anything either so there is no reason to lie in that way.

It really is a perfect storm at Essendon that caused all this though. Would anyone else besides Hird be given complete autonomy and essentially become bigger than the club's best interests? I'd say no. Could a similar scenario happen at Carlton? Maybe Kouta, given that his standing amongst Carlton supporters is similar to Hird with the Essendon faithful, but he never struck me as having the same entitled attitude that Hird has always displayed.

But we really did grow morally as a club after we booted Elliot and copped our whack.

The lesson I have learned over the journey following the game is that no-one at a football club is indispensable.

Having witnessed the demise of my all time favourite player Alex Jesaulenko twice in just over a decade, the sacking of favorite sons in Nicholls, Walls & Ratten & the demise of Elliot & his cohorts, the one thing that has remained constant is the existence of the Carlton Football Club. Yes the club has seen hard times as a result of some of these decisions, but the club is still there for the supporters to follow, this is why I cannot understand why so many EFC supporters have threatened protests & cancelling of memberships should the person at the centre of the doping debacle/cheating be removed.

This whole saga would have been done & dusted some time ago if Hird had been removed before he had a chance to bring down those around him. It is because Little went all in supporting Hird that this debacle is still making headlines in September 2014, with plenty more headlines still to come.

The way I see it, if Little & the rest of the board aren't prepared to make the decision to remove Hird, then they should all resign so a board can be put in place that has the balls to do what is best for the EFC i.e. remove the one person left who stands in the way of having this debacle resolved so the club can cop its medicine (ingested, not injected) & move forward. That is what I would want my club to do.

As long as Hird stays at the EFC, the club will continue to suffer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back