Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Some good talent coming through from the Downs Reardo.

Wylie Buzza from Gatton on the Downs may play u18s for QLD as a top age player next season. BJ Shelton was 'picked' as an 'All Australian' in the u15s National carnival. Add to that the Aston boys, the Downs junior system is throwing some good kids up. Due I believe to a lot of work by Keith Webb and Jeff Neumann of AFLQ in Toowoomba.

There is demand in the AFL for small goal kicking forwards. The young Downs product below will no doubt benefit from that.

Darling Downs product Anderson 2014 draft prospect

By Jeff Neumann
Former University Cougars junior Aidan Anderson is on the radar of AFL clubs after his recent invite to the 2014 NAB AFL Draft combine in November.
Anderson is known as a goal-kicking machine on the Darling Downs with tallies of 115 and 117 in season 2007 and 2008. Aidan was also a part of history when Under 14 Darling Downs side in 2009 became the first ever team from the region to win a AFL Queensland championships.
2014 has been a big year for the now Swans District player, with Anderson making his league debut in the Western Australian Football League.
His debut for the Black and White came in Round 2 against East Perth, even though it was a loss to Anderson and the Swans it was a big step forward in the young man's career. Swan District Player Development Manager Steve Thomson said it is hard to find a comparison for Aidan.
"Finding a comparison for him is a bit difficult as he's really quite unique from the current batch of smalls we've got in the AFL.
"His biggest strength is his smarts, he knows exactly where to position himself, where to lead, where to run, when to kick, he just knows.
"He's quick without being a speedster and he's very agile with his evasive skills being excellent along with his ability to change direction," Thomson said on his ability.
Thomson also likened Anderson to a current Collingwood star and has an ability to make an impact in the AFL.
"(Aidan is) like Jamie Elliott, he's a far better contested mark than he should be at his height while he's also very solid overhead," Thomson said of Anderson's marking prowess.
"He's got good core strength and strength in general and is very difficult to tackle. He's able to win his own ball in dangerous spots while also being an excellent kick be it on the run or from a set shot.
"The best small forward in the crop and I'll happily bet that he'll kick 150 AFL goals," stated Swans Player Development Manager Steve Thomson.
Anderson also spoke to darlingdowns.aflq.com.au about the upcoming combine and his main focus at Swan Districts.
"It’s a very exciting to be heading to the National Combine, I just have to keep focused now and do my best.
"My main focus for the next few weeks is to finish the season off strong and hopefully our team can go deep into the finals," an excited yet focused Anderson said.
Aidan and the Swans currently sit third behind East Perth and Subiaco and look set to make an impact come finals.
Keep an eye out for Andersons name come the November NAB AFL Draft, as Kevin Sheehan said the Anderson was the Western Australian's "Shining Light" in Aidan's vision from the Under 18 AFL National Championships.>> Aidan Anderson - 2014 Draft Prospect Highlights <<
PLAYER PROFILE
Aidan Anderson
DOB:
10/08/1996 Ht: 182cm Wt: 83kg
Career Games: 283 Career Goals: 489
Clubs: Swan Districts (2012-present), Upper Swan JFC (2010-2011), University Cougars (2006-2009)
Rep Honours: QLD u12 School-Boys, WA u15 School-Boys, U16/U18 Western Australia

Last edited:

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I just feel so happy for the Warwick club. They recently built a magnificent field, a great clubhouse all from scratch with some commitments.. They took the risks to get the club moving in the right direction. In a RL mad area they have now, with their incredible win, branded themselves forward movers, thinkers and winners. Their president, Jason Wright (aptly named) has been their backbone. An inspiration on field and off. A talented junior, with talented kids, Jason never turned his back on the code that game him so much honour and pleasure. He gave back to the code, in spades. Now the universe has rewarded Jason again.

The Warwick Redbacks AFC, winners of the 2014 Darling Downs flag!

They played against an experienced club with 11 grand final wins from 14 appearances! They played against a team with a resume as impressive as any in the top of the history of the DD competition.

I haven't the stats, but I will venture that this is the 1st premiership the Warwich club has even won. They not only won it for themselves, they have won it for the town of Warwick, a RL town. And in doing so, they have put AFL on the front and back page of the local media!

Jason has made the great game of Australian Football the talking point in the once monopolised RL township of Warwick! That is a huge win for AFL, the Warwick Redbacks, Jason, and all the un named volenteers that struggle happily, week in week out to ensure kids and big kids alike get a game of AFL each week.

That is what winners do. They create legends. This weekend Warwick created history. The positivity surrounding this club will see more success. It is the selflessness, their pride and passion for their juniors, and their players come first attitude that has seen a grass roots club, with little fanfare and a team of volunteers that are prepared to carry a burden on their shoulders, NEVER, pomp nor ego.

This year a town won. A small town. A town with a beating AFL heart.

Warwick have claimed their maiden premiership, breaking the drought by defeating University by 17-points at the Allied Pickford's Grand-Final.
#35 Adam Stevenson was judged best on ground and received the Ellen McConochie Medal.

Warwick
10.18-78
Live Now FINAL

University
9.7-61

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
2012-14 TAFL Premiers - New England Nomads of Armidale are hosting:

UNE Tablelands Cup

Saturday 28th March 2015

$1500 prize money

Limited places available

A great opportunity to get away with the team and play some decent footy against different clubs

Please read the formal invitation (attached below)

www.newenglandnomads.net

Attachments

• Invitation TC 2015.pdf
    129.6 KB · Views: 122

Hawks man

Draftee
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Goondiwindi Hawks Australian Football Club is eager to recruit new players for 2015.

If you want to experience country footy at a tight knit club then Gundy is the place for you. We are a developing team that made finals last year and are looking to continue to improve. Two immediate work opportunities with a thriving club sponsor for an auto electrician and refrigeration fitter. Willing to help other interested players in finding employment.

Contact club president at: davey.otoole@gmail.com and check our website: www.goondiwindihawks.sportingpulse.net

Goondiwindi Hawks Australian Football Club is eager to recruit new players for 2015.

If you want to experience country footy at a tight knit club then Gundy is the place for you. We are a developing team that made finals last year and are looking to continue to improve. Two immediate work opportunities with a thriving club sponsor for an auto electrician and refrigeration fitter. Willing to help other interested players in finding employment.

Contact club president at: davey.otoole@gmail.com and check our website: www.goondiwindihawks.sportingpulse.net
I'll start a 2015 thread soon Hawks man, you might want to post this again when it's up. Best of luck for 2015 mate, looking forward to catching up.

Steva69

Debutant
Oct 5, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How would you be?.....2016 season. South Toowoomba went through the regular season undefeated only to suffer their only loss in the grand final. Urgh...
As a former player with the old South Toowoomba Longhorns, I like to keep an eye their efforts albeit from the Gold Coast. Good Luck next year.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
How would you be?.....2016 season. South Toowoomba went through the regular season undefeated only to suffer their only loss in the grand final. Urgh...
As a former player with the old South Toowoomba Longhorns, I like to keep an eye their efforts albeit from the Gold Coast. Good Luck next year.
Happens so often in footy. wow.

Also, UNI has the longer horns I'm told. While Coolaroo have nothing in the horn department at all... Jellyfish.

Back