Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Callington "merged" with Bridgewater but I think there is literally zero cally people involved with the club now. They still wear a bridgey guernsey so it was more of a takeover.

Mt Torrens and Pleasant Valley merged in the mid to late 90's to form Torrens Valley. Uraidla Districts is merger of Uraidla and Eastern Rangers (Lenswood and Ashton)

Yeah was thinking that. Would have made more sense for Callington to hook up with Mount Barker or something.

Surprised Meadows and Macclesfield, dare I say it, haven't merged together yet as they aren't as strong as what they were a few years ago. Or even Kangarilla.

Yeah meadows aren't quite what they were a decade ago (when they won four flags in a row) but they're still fielding the 5 teams every Saturday so going alright. Maccy has a few less junior teams so it could happen one day. Kangarilla have all the junior teams still but are stuck between the HFL and the SFL so they're always going to have a lot of trouble with travelling a lot.

I can also add the Central Highlands Football League in Qld to this list (eventually died at the turn of the century after being a 9 a side comp for a few years). Clubs included the Blackwater Cats, Emerald Saints and Dysart Swans to name 3.

There was also a Fraser Coast Lions in the Wide Bay Comp that went belly up and replaced by the Bay Power (seperate club) a few years ago.
Maryborough in this comp folded in 2012. The comp now only has four clubs,two in Hervey Bay and two in Bundaberg. Dont know how they survive no one goes to watch them although Con Souvlis furniture donates a lot to the bay teams.

West Torrens and Woodville in the SANFL (merged at the end of 1990)
Lonsdale and O'Sullivan Beach in the Southern Football League (merged about 2000). Currently only marginally ahead of Aldinga on-field.

Manunda Hawks were punted from the Cairns league. tamba may have more info.

Very quickly ------Afl Cairns withdrew the 2015 invitation to the Mununda Hawks ( club 30 yrs olde) to play in their competition.
Manunda Hawks & Afl Cairns got wind of threats to the club, if they played that weekends game because of a player. Manunda's players vote not to play in both Seniors and Reserves that game, So forfeited the two games (another club up here regularly forfeit games and NO punishment) 2 cops and 4 security guards were offered ( totally useless as ground open and in a 10 acrea area). So the league booted them out after long thoughts and conciliation . Manunda are now weighting up their next move, legal action NOT ruled out, from reports legal beagles up here lining up Pro Bono. The press were told before the other clubs presidents were informed and published the story . The league here is run by 4 men with huge egos and not very well liked

Unfortunately Forrest in the Colac District announced today they will go into recess for 2016 :thumbsdown:
As the club no longer has juniors or a population nearby to sustain one, the new player points system has culled the club reliant on players from Geelong :mad:

It's not like they had a poor side either they were just a middle of the road side in 2015.

Unfortunately Forrest in the Colac District announced today they will go into recess for 2016 :thumbsdown:
As the club no longer has juniors or a population nearby to sustain one, the new player points system has culled the club reliant on players from Geelong :mad:

It's not like they had a poor side either they were just a middle of the road side in 2015.

Points system will force a lot of clubs like this to go into recess.
Sad really.

Wakool in Golden Rivers will not be playing in 2016 due to lack of player numbers. If it were a single team comp they might have survived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callington United Eagles, Uraidla, Pleasant Valley, Mount Torrens. (Hills Football league) SA
Railways(as mentioned earlier), Towns, West Arthur (Upper Great Southern FL) WA
Katanning Australs, North Mt. Barker, South Mt. Barker, Tambellup (Great Southern FL) WA

Just out of interest. When did Mount Barker have two teams?

Surprised they don't have 2 teams again. Clare in the NEFL have 2 teams and Clare is less than half the size of MB.

Just out of interest. When did Mount Barker have two teams?

Surprised they don't have 2 teams again. Clare in the NEFL have 2 teams and Clare is less than half the size of MB.
The mount barker mention in the post is mount barker in WA. It last had two teams in 2004 (I think) which was a pretty good effort for a town with about 2700 people.
As for Mt Barker SA I don't think they've ever officially had two clubs (although Littlehampton used to have their home ground within Mt B) but yeah the town is so big now that you'd expect it to have two clubs at least. I do know a lot of people who live in Barker but play for clubs in surrounding towns because there's a fair few clubs not all that far away. There was talk a few years ago of starting a club maybe branded as Littlehampton who would play out of cornerstone college but it never really got up. Got to happen sooner or later though.

The mount barker mention in the post is mount barker in WA. It last had two teams in 2004 (I think) which was a pretty good effort for a town with about 2700 people.
As for Mt Barker SA I don't think they've ever officially had two clubs (although Littlehampton used to have their home ground within Mt B) but yeah the town is so big now that you'd expect it to have two clubs at least. I do know a lot of people who live in Barker but play for clubs in surrounding towns because there's a fair few clubs not all that far away. There was talk a few years ago of starting a club maybe branded as Littlehampton who would play out of cornerstone college but it never really got up. Got to happen sooner or later though.

Bringing back Littlehampton would be good.

Having said that, the Hanhdorf juniors are called Hahndorf-Littlehampton.

With all the doom and gloom of clubs folding or merging is there any of the opposite kind of stories of new clubs forming? I know in Albany they've added a club in the last few years but I'm guessing it's a rare occurrence these days.

Interestingly enough.

Someone tried to revive Quorn-Willsden a few years back then at the Wandearah Football Club centenary someone mentioned if there was enough support they'd revive Wandearah as a single team or as a merger with Warnertown.

Also my club - BSR (Brinkworth/Spalding/Redhill) is only an affiliation between Brinkworth-Yacka, Spalding and Gulnare-Redhill - if any one of the clubs ever had the numbers to go it alone if they wanted to they could as all three clubs still exist as non playing clubs. Due to the politics I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet (seriously, Spalding want more control, Brinkworth Yacka want all games in Brinkworth and Gulnare-Redhill are wishing they'd merged with Crystal Brook)

I know when the HFL started the Division three comp about 5-6 years ago there was rumours that some people were trying to revive Lenswood/Eastern Rangers as a Div 3 only club playing out of Ashton or Lenswood. But it got up unfortunately (Lenswood oval looks beautiful and it would be great to have some senior footy there again)

That's crazy. Is there any one of those three clubs that you would say have more control than the others? Or is really an even three way split in power.
There's a committee with members from all three clubs so it's split in a way, but the committee members, nor other reps slash "supporters" from the other clubs agree with each other.

I know Gulnare-Redhill would like a game or two a year at Gulnare Oval, however at the moment BSR only train there a few times a year. Was supposed to be a game there last year until someone stole a couple of goalposts - seriously! And Gulnare Oval is really quite picturesque. The old tin shed clubrooms still stand on one side with the "new" ones on the other side.

I really want to join GR as a member or join the BSR committee to see what it's like.

Personally, I'd like to see BSR renamed to something neutral - something like Koolunga Districts FC (Koolunga once wore black and gold which are BSRs colours).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back